Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parental Survey

We sent out a survey and have had some helpful replies, which is great even though it gives us more to do!

Then this morning we got one back from a parent that only brings her child to one session. It was really snitty and basically a bit rude. She said it was a shame she never gets any feedback except when there is an accident! Which is a lie because I nearly always say something to her. Didn't last week because we had a very upset new child that took a bit of coping with. Then she said that the place was a bit muddy!!! Which is only on the way to the building and because we are in the middle of a field which she must have noticed when she came for the first visit.

This sort of thing just makes you feel that whatever you do will never be good enough, even though I work paid 6 hours a day and about 4 for nothing nearly every evening. I just think that Ofsted will look at that and think we are rubbish.

Mind you in the afternoon we got another survey that said the parent is "bombarded with information" which made me feel a bit better!

Jane

There's always going to be one like this - we had one that wanted us to ask the county for a zebra crossing!! Again - you must have spotted this when you came for your look around!

You're always going to get a wide response to any survey you put out to parents. The way I got round it was by taking the results of all of the answers and saying something like "80% of parents who answered were very happy with the information and feedback given to them by the group" etc. which then illustrates that those who had something to complain about were well and truly in the minority! :o

We sent out a survey and have had some helpful replies, which is great even though it gives us more to do!

Then this morning we got one back from a parent that only brings her child to one session. It was really snitty and basically a bit rude. She said it was a shame she never gets any feedback except when there is an accident! Which is a lie because I nearly always say something to her. Didn't last week because we had a very upset new child that took a bit of coping with. Then she said that the place was a bit muddy!!! Which is only on the way to the building and because we are in the middle of a field which she must have noticed when she came for the first visit.

This sort of thing just makes you feel that whatever you do will never be good enough, even though I work paid 6 hours a day and about 4 for nothing nearly every evening. I just think that Ofsted will look at that and think we are rubbish.

Mind you in the afternoon we got another survey that said the parent is "bombarded with information" which made me feel a bit better!

Jane

Oh you wouldn't believe what a sore point this is with me. We have just had the same experience - wonderful replies which brought a tear to my eye (in a good way) and then one that was awful - variously accused me of not providing enough info. before entry ('phone calls, prospectus, emails, newsletters, visits - what more can I do), not being welcoming to new parents - see last bit plus always find time to talk at the door plus make it quite clear that parents can ask for a one-to-one at anytime and not providing enough parent involving activities - won't bore you with how I cover that but believe me it's covered. Asked parent to come in to talk to me to sort this out - she was so surprised that she had caused offence - amazing - I took her through each point and she couldn't back any of it up - so then she said give it back to me I will destroy that one and 'do' another one - I pointed out that that wasn't what I was asking for. She then got into a complete panic and said oh you will take xxxxx when she's old enough won't you, I asked why she would want me to take her other daughter when she was clearly disatisfied - she said oh but I'm not, not at all - yours is the best pre-school in the area. Work that one out - I certainly can't. Anyway feel better for getting that 'off my chest' - hope i haven't bored you all to death!!!

Sunnyday

It does make you feel better to get things off your chest, which is obviously what I was doing.

Got think that tomorrow there will be something else to worry about that will make us forget about today's!!!

Jane xx

It does make you feel better to get things off your chest, which is obviously what I was doing.

Got think that tomorrow there will be something else to worry about that will make us forget about today's!!!

Jane xx

This is true!!!

I also keep telling myself she is just not important enough to me to cause me any real worry!

Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow - we are holding a parents coffee hour/book sale and have the schools photographer visiting all very 'parent involving' - bet she doesn't even turn up!

Sunnyday

we had a parent like that too!!! was the only questionaire we got back with negative comments!! then a few months later she actually sent her CV in and asked for a job!!! you can guess the outcome!!

we had a parent like that too!!! was the only questionaire we got back with negative comments!! then a few months later she actually sent her CV in and asked for a job!!! you can guess the outcome!!

Aren't some people odd - that's me being polite!

They seem to have no idea what impact their comments may have.

Sunnyday

• 3 weeks later...

DO you have a copy of your parental survey? I am trying to put one together but running out of ideas for questions!!

Many Thanks

H

• 2 months later...

HI ya

This is a really sore point with our setting as well.

We took the pre-school parents, children and staff on a trip to Dudley Zoo last week for the first ever coach outing, never had one in last 7 years and i took over as manager in September and put out questionnaires to see if any interest, the interest was overwhelming, so we booked 2 coaches, made sure we could caryy pushchairs on coaches, made arrangements with Barnados toddle, took deposits, got broke into and 2 thieves made off with over £100 of money,(no money usually kept on site but forgot in rush to collect son from train station,) we replaced it from group funds, gave out sponsor forms, medals and stickers when toddle completed. Biggest problem was a parent was late which made coaches late leaving, and then one coach driver got lost and was 40 minutes late. Gave out questionnaires after breaking down in tears when parents barraged me with moans and groans about wanting a refund of coach fare, they only paid £5. each for seat on coach, we covered rest from funds so to keep it in parents budget, oh boy did it show difference of opinions of parents, one replied that zoo was nightmare, no animals, too much walking up hills, coach was no good as got lost, (not sure where i could change that one as driver took wrong turning) and i wasnt driving, then on other hand one parent bought us a box of thorntons chocolates to say thank you for a wonderful day out, some comments were justified as needing more info about toddle but others were just having a go about coach driver, hence to say we wont use that coach company again, but it could happen with any driver, i get lost with sat nav.

Sorry its soo long but just wanted to share.x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)