Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff CRB checks

we are a committee run pre-school and the registered person is the chairperson who only picks and drops off her child. As I am running the day to day sessions as the supervisor OFSTED have informed me that I should of had a suitability interview with them and filled out a health declaration booklet and a DC02 form . I have now done this and they have rung to say they have flagged us as under investigations. The woman was very abrupt and most dis pleased. ( I have been running the setting for 18 months.) She also said my CRB is not valid as it is 3 years old. Do we have to update the staff CRB checks every 3 years?

the supervisor before me didn't fill in these forms etc either and we were inspected 3 years ago and received outstanding. Why was this not flagged then? is this a new procedure?

Hoping you may be able shed some light!!

Lisax

Our Chair is also the registered person, I don't think the Supervisor has filled in a Health Declaration. I am not sure about the CRB checks but we were told by Mrs O last time that CRB checks should be updated every 3 years and if a staff member changes job title. I was ok when CRBs were done for free but they cost quite a bit if you have a lot of staff!!

Our chair is also the registered person but myself and the other supervisor have both had suitability interviews and health declarations. I didn't know though that CRBs had to be done every three years. Is that for all staff through the agencies (TMG etc) or supervisors through Ofsted?

Our Chair is also the registered person, I don't think the Supervisor has filled in a Health Declaration. I am not sure about the CRB checks but we were told by Mrs O last time that CRB checks should be updated every 3 years and if a staff member changes job title. I was ok when CRBs were done for free but they cost quite a bit if you have a lot of staff!!

Oh dear - I need to look into this, if this is the case we are going to be in deep trouble!

sunnyday

Nobody panic, I think our Mrs O was saying for best practise. I havn't found it written anywhere ever!! :o

as far as i know its a recommendation to update every 3 years but i have never seen it written any where as a "must do"

Nobody panic, I think our Mrs O was saying for best practise. I havn't found it written anywhere ever!! :o

Thank you Shiny - saved me trawling through the statutory guidance - I have much better things to do - as you can see from the amount of time I spend logged on!!!

sunnyday

Its funny really as CRB checks are only really valid on the day they are issued! My hubby has been a teacher at the same school for over 10 years and has only ever had the inital CRB check. My mother-in-law was teacher at same school for over 25 years and never had one :o

I worked as manager of the setting for 10 years and only had one the last month before I left..... I kept asking Ofsted if I needed one,at least once a year and every inspection but they said as I had been checked by Social services before they took over it was not needed... only ended up having one because they eventually decided that it should be done!

Inge

My chair is our registered person, filled in all the necessary bits etc.

When we had Ofsted the other week I asked the inspector about the 3 year renewals she didn`t seem to think that it was necessary to update mine.

I will be interested to know one way or the other.

Before EYFS I had a letter from Ofsted stating CRB checks did not have to be updated every three years and that they would not cover the cost of them being done in that case, unless the registered person had a good reason for requesting them. Our LA wanted us to as part of our NEG contract but they backed down in the light of the letter.

We have a registered person/chair who had to have a suitable person interview but no health declaration as yet, although on a separate theme I believe all committee members who might be asked to help out on a casual basis need to complete a health declaration! At present our setting has not decided how to handle this. The manager/supervisor though has had a CRB, suitable person interview and health declaration completed.

Regarding the comments made in the first post by Ofsted about being "under investigation" I would contact the LA for advice and support asap. I have known a setting be graded inadequate over a similar issue and then had to have NEG removed as a consequence. They have weathered the storm with very supportive parents and come out the other side now, and I don't want to frighten you but getting as much support and advice from the LA as you can will not hurt.

Good luck.

we are a committee run pre-school and the registered person is the chairperson who only picks and drops off her child. As I am running the day to day sessions as the supervisor OFSTED have informed me that I should of had a suitability interview with them and filled out a health declaration booklet and a DC02 form . I have now done this and they have rung to say they have flagged us as under investigations. The woman was very abrupt and most dis pleased. ( I have been running the setting for 18 months.) She also said my CRB is not valid as it is 3 years old. Do we have to update the staff CRB checks every 3 years?

the supervisor before me didn't fill in these forms etc either and we were inspected 3 years ago and received outstanding. Why was this not flagged then? is this a new procedure?

Hoping you may be able shed some light!!

Lisax

Hi, yes what has been said is correct, also from the 1st september any one registering as the registered person need a ofsted CRB not a capital one, I renewed my capital one last nov, moved to a new setting and just had todo a Ofsted one, came back so much quicker , it is recommend all registered persons and staff have theirs done ever 3 years as good practices.

I have just had to go through this whole process.

it might be good practice but not a must

we dont pay for our crb. capita do ours not been charged

your right tho only as good as the day it is done thats why references employment history and recomendations are important

Before EYFS I had a letter from Ofsted stating CRB checks did not have to be updated every three years and that they would not cover the cost of them being done in that case, unless the registered person had a good reason for requesting them. Our LA wanted us to as part of our NEG contract but they backed down in the light of the letter

We had the same letter, but we have had various others tell us that they should be done every 3 years. I now just wave the letter under their noses and ask for wriiten documentation stating that it does need to be done. Unless we change our job title, but even then we had an assistant change to a Deputy and she still didn't have to do another one.

We had a student apply for a CRB last Oct and we still haven't got it through. TMG are blaming it on our local police authority?? Anyway, can you imagine, if the many millions of us that have to have enhanced CRB checks (not just in EY's) renewed them every 3 years, they would'nt be able to cope.

Is all this going to change with the full roll out of the ISA does anyone know? I have to say I have been burying my head in the sand about ISA in general as all I seem to find out is that I am going to have ask the committee to cough up lots of money or ask all my lovely staff to pay out of their own pockets for something being imposed from above. Thus I have very little idea about what is going to happen.

Hi, we are a committee run playgroup who had an ofsted inspection yesterday under the new EYFS guidelines! I am the manager and my CRB is 5 years old, I was told by the inspector that mine does not have to be renewed unless my job title changes. As for other members of staff they do need to be renewed every 3 years - i did know this and have seen this written somewhere, but cant think where at the moment, you will be charged for this. We use TMG and I think it is £40 each. Every new member of staff is free. All committee members have to be CRB checked via Ofsted, complete a health dec and from memory DC3 form, check with Ofsted. Hope this helps - if you want any hints for inspection just ask, we are very lucky to have been judged outstanding - but it was very tough going! :o

i've been manager in the same setting for 11 years now my crb is from 2002 when they first came in, (previous social service checks) our committee (chair is registered person and is seen maybe once a week) have just become incorporated which requires new registration....during the process it was noticed i have not got a piece of paper saying i am suitable to work with children so a couple of weeks ago had a suitable persons interview, i brought up about the crb and was told that if Ofsted decided i need to renew it then i would be notified, until then its fine.

I do not have a CRB, I was cleared to work with children by our local Social service before we were taken over by Ofsted. Last week I had a letter from OFSTED apoligising for all the hassle & grief they have given me pver the last few months and stating that I do not need a CRB, what I have is fine & also that any CRB's do not have to be renewed every 3 three years. This is twice now i have had this in writing, so Bobtails why would your staff have to do theirs every 3 years but you dont? I find this most odd, sorry dont wish to appear rude but why should a managers CRB last for longer then an assistants, we have the same enhanced checks? I would imagine most groups couldn't afford to pay this sort of money @ £40 each every three years. When did committee members start to require Health checks? I have had three committee members CRB checked via Ofsted since xmas and all they filled in was EY2's (formally DC2's) & then CRB forms. I spoke to The Divisional Manager of their Business unit last month and she said the only peiple that need to fill in the health check forms were Managers. She did stress though that once the ISA comes in then she couldn't guarantee that this may all change as they still dont know themselves what the requirments will be.

• 3 weeks later...

We also use TMG and they have been great. 1st check is free for anyone, I think it is down to individual settings if they choose to redo them every 3 or 5 years but you do have to pay for subsequent checks about £40 I believe. It is not statutory so OFSTED was wrong there, although some people do consider it good practice. We have found them come back reasonably quickly but seems to vary between 4-12 weeks depending on how busy they are I guess. Zoe.

Don't forget that from October 2009 all new members of staff must be VBS checked (Vetting and Baring Scheme) existing staff must be done by 2010 - hey is'nt that great more paperwork and expense!!

I think you will find that the onus in on the setting manager and it is your responsibilty to make sure you are happy with the checks that you do and how often you do them