Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting To Feel Really Jaded

Hi everyone,

I am starting to feel really jaded with everything of late, it almost feels like an anit-climax. I have recently been ofsted'd which we recieved good overall and outstanding for partnerships with parents.

I also received my assignment back (1st year teaching degree) I got a B-, which I was thrilled about. Am trying to finish my next assignment which is due in next Friday and just feel so very fed up.

I also have a reflective journal to maintain until July when it has to be handed in and a science project due in at the same time.

I feel with work commitments, study etc that my time is never my own. I also have four children and my homelife just feels like its playing second fiddle to everything else.

Dont get me wrong, I love what I do, just feel that maybe I am being to selfish and would be better off with a less demanding job etc, so I can actually be apart of my kids lives.

Sorry for the long rant, dont really know what I am trying to say here, but feel a tad better already

Claire x

Oh dear you do sound fed up cupcake - but all of us who have studied at this level will tell you we've all been there and felt just as you do now. Clearly you're good at what you do, both in terms of Ofsted and the marked assignment, so it would be a terrible loss if you gave it all up for a less demanding job.

Only you can say whether these short term difficulties are worth it for the chance to achieve your goals - it might be that what you're feeling is the inevitable dip after the stress of Ofsted caused when the adrenalin stops running through your system. If so, just give yourself time and these feelings will pass.

It is a lot of work and there are inevitably sacrifices which are hard to make when you're feeling fed up and wondering why you're doing it. I hope you feel a bit more positive soon, and that this is just a passing phase.

Can you spare a bit of time for yourself - a pamper session, or a couple of hours of messy play with the children? It might help recharge your batteries.

Take care - hope you feel more upbeat in the morning!

Maz

Hello cupcake - we all know exactly how you feel. It is really hard at times, but please keep going.

I'm studying too and my children are 7 and 9. It is hard on them - we have never had so many ready meals, the ironings always out of control when assignments are due and I always have a lap top on my knee and sometimes I would just like to sleep.

But think of the positives - it's fab when you hand in an assignment. That weekend is like a mad spring clean and we have family time. Your children will be so proud of what you are doing and they will learn loads - my 9 year old did his last home work project on a power point (no idea where he got that one from).

You know where we all are, when you need a smile and to relax.

It is worth it -(honest) - treatt yourself to some me time and don't feel guily.

I would say that one of the things that I learnt fast whilst doing my degree was to find a particular time in the week where i was not doing study, work, resources etc. This kept me in touch with my family and partner and i felt so much better for it. we would spend quality time together and i would not be worried about the next assignment etc because i had scheduled this time in.

It is hard, and loads of us on here know hjow you feel, but as Maz has said, you obviously are very good at what you do.

When i graduated last year my partner told me how proud he was of me for not quitting and sticking with it, through all the rough times, that showed me how supportive he was and that heknew the purpose of what i weas doing, which im sure your family do also.

:o

hugs

lucie x

You poor thing - keep going, it will all be worth it.

I often feel guilty about depriving my own children of my time; it was much worse last year while I was studying. But I really believe they benefit so much also from what you are doing, (someone said "Just think about how independent they are becoming" when I expressed concerns similar to yours last year. A,lso if your children are anythin g like mine they will latch onto your guilt and tug at your heartstrings claiming neglect and all sorts. :o Thats the way that children are!!

If you like gardening,try and get outside for a while. I did that yesterday and I felt soooo much better. My children helped too and they made a fairy kingdom with all of the bits from the garden. My Nine year old said it was the best day ever!!! xD

It IS undeniably hard. But it's worth it in the end. Just keep you eye on the prize and go for it! As others have said - try to timetable some 'me' time and 'family' time in exactly the same was as you did when you had new babies about.

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your kind words. I am defineatly going to find some time for the fun stuff. I have just dropped my son off at the carp fishing centre for the day he is 13. I sat in the sun with Sunday papers while he set up, spent an hour just reading and basking in the sun, feel so much better already. Next week we are all going ice skating woo hoo (pray i dont break a leg!)

Thanks again for all your advice, it really did help.

Claire x

dont feel guilty about taking on too much all at the same time your not doing it for selfish reasons and it wont be forever, your children can see that your not living the life of reiley your setting them a a good example that if they want to get any where in life it takes hard work and study

Im sure there has been some recent program on the TV about how too many children are brought up as "cottonwool kids" when mums are always there ready to do everything for their child and it does more harm than good, so dont feel bad that your not on tap 24/7 for your childrens needs your probably doing them a favour in the long run

I graduated 4 years ago I was studying and running a preschool while my children where 7 and 9 when I started studying they are now doing their GCSE's and the independence they gained is helping them understand that they need to knuckle down and study also now that I have improved my own study skills I am able to support them in homework and essay writing which I would of never been able to do before.

a good from Ofsted and a B- for your assignment is an achievement so enjoy it, keep at it and all the best with the rest of your work.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)