Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Motivating Staff

I think I may work on this during the hols... If it does work with all or most of the stepping stones then as well as giving criteria to evaluate staff performance it will also be another way that staff can learn the stepping stones, as we all know it's easier to learn things when they are relevant to ourselves. :D

Peggy

Just a quick update.

I have found things a little easier this month. I have supported the staff in the "worrying" department with fantastic results. The children are not bored any more and the parents are amazed at what their children are now doing!!!!

The girls have all been to speak to the Day Services Manageer, praising me; saying how supportive and positive I am.

My only "problem" now is my opposite number, we alternate early and late shifts between ourselves.

She constantly critisises the girls, never has a positive word to say to anyone (Team Leader, myself and the girls) except to build herself up in our Day Services Manager's eyes. Having spoken to the team leader about concerns we both have, we decided to speak with her.

She became very defensive and suggested that I should change my practice, so that we both sang from the same hymn sheet.

I have told my immediate superior that I am not prepared to do that, my practice shows rewards, the staff teams are positive and productive and seem to learn by my examples. I encourage and praise the girls as much as I can, but I can also pull them up if needs be!!

I am becoming increasingly frustrated at her attitude, she wants to be top dog!!!

She came into the department I was manning on Friday and "Ordered" me to go and open some windows upstairs (where she had come from) in front of staff and parents. I did not question the "request" as parents were present, but later asked that she did not speak to me that way in future. She was very shocked!!!!

Rant over, I will get there, or get out VERY SOON!!!!!

Jan

you keep plugging it Jan, the staff and parents are happy with you and are seeing results. I had a time a bit like yours many moons ago, and just as I was looking for an alternative job, the other person left. Hang on a bit longer :D:D

Oh Ladies and Gentlemen, why couldn't I have found this thread sooner! At least I know I am not alone with difficult staff etc.

I have a supervisor who does not a lot at all during the session, unfortunatly she works different sessions to me, we share the job (don't ask why it is historical, or maybe hysterical) She just seems to be doing paperwork instead of playing with the children. We have 3 staff per session so everyone needs to pull their weight I have asked her not to do it during the session but afterwards, and as to looking after the students we have well I won't go there until I feel calmer :oxD Sorry about that but I feel better for having a moan.

There were some good suggestions I will try and put these into practise. For some reason I can't open or read any attachments mentioned so if you put some in your posts do you think you could e-mail them to me I would be everso gratful :):)

Thanks I am calmer and more relaxed after reading your posts, thanks Gizzy :D