Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Objective

Hi everyone, i need a fun way of introducing what will be learnt in a session, like a learning objective, but i dont want to just reel it off. I need to have something good so that i dont forget to do it at the start of the session. its rec/yr1 mixed.

does anyone do anything fun?

any ideas gratefully recieved!

lucie xx

Hi, I use hand puppets and link them to WALT and WILF 'We Are Learning To' 'What I am Looking For' learning objectives. Sparkle box have posters which you can laminate and use when introducing a lesson. Children will remind me if I forget about WALT and WILF. Anything with a puppet always attracts children attention. Hope this helps

Hi everyone, i need a fun way of introducing what will be learnt in a session, like a learning objective, but i dont want to just reel it off. I need to have something good so that i dont forget to do it at the start of the session. its rec/yr1 mixed.

does anyone do anything fun?

any ideas gratefully recieved!

lucie xx

I introduce LI's through the class toy. Saying that teddy wants to learn ......

This encourages the children who know something already to share their knowledge by trying to explain to teddy what they can do already or have learnt during the session. The children love helping teddy learn so much that they remind me to introduce the LI.

Same as already mentioned really, through a character/puppet/class mascot. We intorduce ours as our learning bubble and children are always on hand to remind me to tell them what is in the learning bubble this session!!! :o

The children love helping teddy learn so much that they remind me to introduce the LI.

Lovely idea, sheela!

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on making your first post. Keep them coming!

Maz

I've always used puppets with reception and now my nursery groups. We say together a catchy little phrase and then write the LO in a speech bubble. It works for us and the nursery children have started to draw the puppet character, speech bubble and then write the LO themselves!

I have a cat puppet- we say 'Pat, Pat clever cat what are we learning today?

Other puppets in the groups are Brian the clever lion. Tony the clever pony and Zog the clever frog.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I use the same as all the others mentioned! My puppet is called WALT the Wise Owl and he is so clever he always tells us what we are going to learn, I then write the objective onto a laminated sheet with his photo. Then, (when i remember...) in the plenary WALT asks us if we have learnt what he told us we were going to do. I get the children to try to read the objective back if they have forgotten.

The children love the cuddly animal and it does stimulate their memory for what they are doing!

Q x

Can i just ask.... how often do you write up/introduce your learning objectives a day?

I have many different learnin gobjectives going on throughout the day that if I was to spend time writing them up then this would be time taken away from actually doing the activities.

Even if I just did it during carpet activities, that is 3 a day and I only want them on the carpet for 5 minutes.

Can i just ask.... how often do you write up/introduce your learning objectives a day?

I have many different learnin gobjectives going on throughout the day that if I was to spend time writing them up then this would be time taken away from actually doing the activities.

Even if I just did it during carpet activities, that is 3 a day and I only want them on the carpet for 5 minutes.

I know what you mean, I only do them for my 3 carpet sessions and literally just write them onto the laminated sheet whilst introducing the session, but i'm reception and most can cope with being on the carpet a bit longer

But as Cait suggested you could alway do them the night before i used to do that last year when i had a mixed class and displayed them on the IWB.

Qx

I know what you mean, I only do them for my 3 carpet sessions and literally just write them onto the laminated sheet whilst introducing the session, but i'm reception and most can cope with being on the carpet a bit longer

But as Cait suggested you could alway do them the night before i used to do that last year when i had a mixed class and displayed them on the IWB.

Qx

Do you feel that your chidlren benefit from displaying these? Or is it more a case of you having to display these because that is what you do in your school?

We too are supposed to display our LO but if I write them up, none of my class can read them (yet!). I simply start each activty by saying today we are looking at.....

Do you feel that your chidlren benefit from displaying these? Or is it more a case of you having to display these because that is what you do in your school?

We too are supposed to display our LO but if I write them up, none of my class can read them (yet!). I simply start each activty by saying today we are looking at.....

I would say that at the beginning of the term it was very much a 'school policy'! But now some children can access the LO and I have seen one of my more able readers pretending to be 'Miss L' and talking to WALT, reading the objective... But if i'm honest 75% of the class benefit much more from the verbal discussion with WALT!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)