Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Do I Go From Here!

hahahaahhaahtxt speak iz d way 4ward lol!! my day was really gud today!!! went in and dint speak to the manager 4 ages!!then started speaking her about something and yeh sorta started speaking her again!!! it was good everyone was chilling at the end of shiftguess what she was doing bitching about sum past manager lol!!!but yeh glad ive started communicating with her again -see how long it lasts though lol!!

but 2day with the kids was well gud we had this big teddy and i was like teddyis watching you tidy omg ive never seen them tidy as fast haha he even sat with us at snack and we had to wash his hands and pretend to wash his teeth on a boring course tomorrow though ha how you all!!

In the interests of inclusion please could we all use standard English and punctuation, so that we can get to grips with the issues and give support where needed.

Obviously we all make allowances for those who have difficulty with English, grammar and punctuation, so should we perhaps also include those who communicate in 'text'? However, I don't find text speak very easy to understand so I'm afraid I just give up reading. Sorry - is that very un-pc of me? :o

Maz

Obviously we all make allowances for those who have difficulty with English, grammar and punctuation, so should we perhaps also include those who communicate in 'text'? However, I don't find text speak very easy to understand so I'm afraid I just give up reading. Sorry - is that very un-pc of me? :o

Maz

Not just you Maz.... although I can read text speak in small bouts, after about a line I switch off and give up..hence no input into this thread until now took me this long to get the gist of it!

.. sometimes I worry that our beautiful language will be lost...

but then again.. you ever tried reading The Canterbury Tales in original form!

Inge

I'm ok with text type (or should I say speak) if I'm sending or receiving a text. :o I must admit I rarely send a text as I am too slow at texting, lack of practice, and find it much quicker and easier to 'speak', plus I always convey LONG sentences xD .

Regards inclusion within this forum I am concerned about access to posts for people who are visually impaired and rely on audio readers. Coincidently I recieved a text message from my son on my landline (audio) the voice said "you have received a text message " pick me up at witsh" (the last word being spelt as couldn't be spoken)- he meant fordwich but couldn't spell that :(

My point being anyone trying to access posts audibly will not be able to coherently, so although I think it would be useful for everyone and anyone to learn 'text' speak, as I think it is how our language is evolving as it has evolved from Shakespeares time, ( or Chaucer-Canterbury tales).

I don't personally think the forum is the place to use 'text speak', keep it for mobiles, otherwise 'inclusiveness for all' will not be maintained.

eclmmcca, I'm glad to hear you've had a better day, rising above gossip and being civil to fellow workers is, as you rightly say, the best way forward. :(

Peggy

Its very confusing, isnt it? I hate text speak. We have a lovely language and we should use it!

i could manage to understand if read slowly!! having 2 daughters who regulary send me similar txt messages helps!! however its frightening that that some young people actually do write like this! when i was tutoring and assessing the standard of english and grammar was appalling- some work was actually written in text speak and the girls couldnt understand why they got work returned!! whats more frightening is that some day they will be working with children and be their role models!!

old england is gone !! new devices are made all the time!! you need to get the gist of text speak especially working with young people!!and i think young people are great models for children after all we are not much older than them and so can relate well!!

i could manage to understand if read slowly!! having 2 daughters who regulary send me similar txt messages helps!! however its frightening that that some young people actually do write like this! when i was tutoring and assessing the standard of english and grammar was appalling- some work was actually written in text speak and the girls couldnt understand why they got work returned!! whats more frightening is that some day they will be working with children and be their role models!!

thanks cait!!!!!

old england is gone !! new devices are made all the time!! you need to get the gist of text speak especially working with young people!!and i think young people are great models for children after all we are not much older than them and so can relate well!!

hi, im not saying young people are not good role models!! just saying if some childcare staff cannot write in correct english its not a good example to young children who have yet to master this art!!

old england is gone !! new devices are made all the time!! you need to get the gist of text speak

I must beg to disagree with you here I'm afraid. There will (I sincerely hope) ALWAYS be a place for proper English including grammar, spelling and punctuation. It's a sad indictment of society that we are prepared to accept anything less.

"Text speak" is a retrograde step in standards and reminds me strongly of that awful spelling experiment in the late 70's and early 80's which has been found to be a dreadful error. I know several people who were educated under this system and have only negative memories of it, having to re-learn how to spell properly in later life.

So, who wants the soapbox next? Is there a queue? :o

It's a sad indictment of society that we are prepared to accept anything less.

Well I think there are probably more pressing issues than this facing society, Cait - so it is something I find it hard to get worked up over! However I think the key thing about text speak is to know when it is acceptable use it and when it is not. Fine when texting a friend or sharing a joke but not when you need to make your meaning clear to the widest audience.

The problem is when some people use it on job application forms or in formal letters, because this creates a powerful barrier between writer and reader which will inevitably lead to a judgement being made about the writer. This may not be fair, of course - but if you are unable to make your meaning clear then the chances are your arguments/points of view will not be listened to. This thread illustrates this well - here we are discussing the language used to describe the problem rather than the problem itself.

And I have to agree with jaycooks - we need to provide strong role models for our children by being able to read and write standard English, so using text language in an assignment is a definite no-no. :o I would simply return it, unread!

Perhaps this needs a thread all of its own since we have wandered so far off topic!

Maz

Quite agree Maz,

So can we all at least agree that text speak is a communication method that maybe all generations will come across but that this forum is not the place to be 'learning' it if we are not used to it. This forum has a very wide audience, including possibly people with visual impairments and 'audio readers', so english grammer is the most appropriate method of communication here.

Any more comments regarding written communication start a new topic. :o

Any more comments in this thread to be in response to eclmmcca's situation.

Thanks

Peggy

u cheeky ppl!!i dnt write lyk dis at work bt wen u tink all d yung ppl use txt speak so it is useful 2 undastand!!and u shunt need neil 2 say spk ur mind ppl!!

I think I should be insulted but I really truely cant understand a word! :o

The haze has gone and I can now read again, thanks Eclmmcca :o

All we need now is some full stops!.

I am not on a crusade here, in fact at times my written word is very bad, but on a public forum it does make it difficult to read and follow.

Txt spk has its place but not really on here and especially with the seriousness of your problem. I would have expected more replies if the post was 'English'.

Good luck, I'll get me coat....

Edited by Guest

I am finding it difficult to participate on this thread as I feel a tad agitated about it all. Having just completed a module called power, language and education discussing mainly the POWER and use of language I am well equipped to comment but feel the mood of the thread is a little contentious and so.........I will keep my thoughts to myself!!

Edited by Guest

No real need to reply shirel - I think all possible points of view have been made and aired quite exhaustively.

I think the broad consensus has just developed into more or less a policy that posts made at the FSF should be made in standard English, not text speak. Hopefully that's not going to upset too many people. I'll close this topic off now so it doesn't rumble on in the background for another few days. :o