Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessments

Hi just wanted to see how often people carry these out. I have been doing a tick list risk assessment covering my home and garden on things such as furniture being in good order, paving safe, outside toys ok, stair gates in place etc once a month. A fire drill once a month and smoke alarm tests weekly. However talking to another childminder they only log all this twice a year as we obviously visually check this all the time. It is alot of paperwork so i wondered if i am doing far more than most people.

as we are a setting in a community building we make sure that we do a visual check every day especially the outdoor area we have made a box on our daily register to tick to show that the risk assessment has been carried out (we have a visual check list on the wall), it just reminds staff that this needs doing by us all as well as recording that we do it, lets face it we visually look for any risk without thinking too much about it but to mark it down somewhere just shows people like the big O that you are doing it!!

we are a pre-school too - we check all areas at the start of each session . the person who checks the area signs to say they have done so and that it is safe.

i think ofsted like to see something in writing and check lists do this.

we all continue to monitor the areas throughout a session and any concerns are voiced and sorted there and then,

hello

When i worked as a childminder i did a weekly check (tick list) every Monday morning of each room the children would have access to and the outside area.I did a fire drill once a month and tested fire alarms weekly.

we are a pre-school too - we check all areas at the start of each session . the person who checks the area signs to say they have done so and that it is safe.

i think ofsted like to see something in writing and check lists do this.

we all continue to monitor the areas throughout a session and any concerns are voiced and sorted there and then,

Hi I'm a childminder and do a check tick/list every day for things like house clean/toliet potties clean/clean cloths/register complete/socket covers on etc. etc.

These are on a sheet which has space for a 5 week month which is laminated so I can write the month and week beginning dates then tick them of daily and at end of month it gets wiped clean to start again.

I have another sheet that has each month of the year on and things like fire drill game/clean toys/wash dressing up clothes (quartly)/ car service/insurance/smoke alarm batteries repleaced/heating inspected etc. etc go on and get ticked or dated when it happens.

I haven't been inpected for a few years now but OFSTED were happy with this when they came out

Thank you for all the replys. Seems i have been doing what i should have then. I also have a daily one which is laminated and wiped at the end of each month for things such as socket covers and toilet being clean etc. I shall continue as i was then. I had an ofsted inspection in sept last year and i recieved good and she was happy with everything. Just thought it was worth a try saving on the paperwork lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)