Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need To Raise 126k!?

Hi all

Yes I know!

Well background is that we are a commitee run pre-chool that takes place in a wi hut right next door to a fantastic primary school. We have close links with the primary (al staffs children go there!...im on the PTA!) as we use them for our lunch club, they have a separate outdoor learning area for foundation stage which we use after lunch. Thing is for years the pre-school have been trying to get into the school (after chool club already there). However, no room at the moment. Head apparently has tried to buy out the wi hut (offered them another new one somewhere else in village) but they refuse to sell.

Now an action group is to be set up (committee, parents etc) to see about raising money to do an extension at the school. Estimated cost 126K which the pre-school have to raise half of......given that we had fantastic jumble sale of £385 think its going to take much more than that! This has always been th sticking point and why it has never happened. Head is keen as he is supposed to try and get all child care into the school. We would be under the school (bliss...no more putting away, displays that can stay up etc etc) but we would still be committee run (boo!). Not going to happen in the next 5 mins but hey something may come of it. We are in a higher middle class area and the LEA is not the best ever afraid. Anybody have any idea on how we can raise the money? Not sure parents are going to part with any quick!

Heres hoping the pre-school can stay open long enough (deputy nightmare continues as the one we have at the mo is looking at moving in with boyfriend once he gets confirmation of job...thing is its 30 miles away so she aint staying!)

Any advice?

Edited by marley

We are in a similiar situation...we need to raise a vast amount of money to build or purchase a unit so we can get onto school grounds!!!! we are committee run already.....members being made up of the governors from the schoool. not that seems to help much :o

any help on this matter would be appreciated....and good luck with your fundraising.

I have just applied for a grent from

www.awardsforall.org.uk ours was for £10,000 to go towards a canopy being built so I'm not sure how much you can get from them. There is another one which gives more than you are asking for but I can't remember the name for it :o I'll have a look through my documents and see if I can find it for you :)

Just wanted to wish you good luck, I know in our area they're offering grants to settings for building work/revamping premises,creating outdoor spaces and for buying new resources etc. They're are offering up to £250,000 so it might well be worth looking in to it in your area. Our early years advisor went through it with us we applied for all of them and got the one for outdoor resources; we can apply again next year for the rest.

Good Luck

Karrie

does your local early years have a business department they might be able to help find grants also is there department that looks after the voluntary groups again they normally have lists of grants

try your local library they may also have list of various foundations, benevolent societies and trusts that many have money for such a project

what about the national lottery?

keep up with the smaller fund raising projects, it all adds up, if people know what your wanting the money for sometimes they dig a little deeper for the money you might be surprised at the donations and dont be afraid try all the small local businesses regardless of the recession they can claim against tax each year they maybe have a little something to spare, if not hard cash they may have some good raffle prizes.

get the papers involved they might like to follow the story which can generate some wider interest... publicity might generate donations from people and businesses you havent asked or thought of

GOOD LUCK

When I worked with the charity pre-school we raised funds through the usual, sponsored events etc and we took out a 90K loan with the community loan fund. They have a website but sorry, i dont know how to do the link!! They ony loan money to Chairities.

After our building went up, lots of other schools and pre-schools came to visit to see how we got the money etc. There are other ways so it might be a good idea to go and visit other setting which have done what you want to do and see exactly how they got their funds together?

Good luck

jx

Lots of ideas already to get you going, looks like busy times ahead, just want to add my best wishes and hope that your dreams do come true. :o

How great to have such a supportive local school. xD

Peggy

We get funding from the lottery, we also get capital and have just received a decent amount to do a refurb of our building. I'm afraid I don't know how to start the process, I get involved at the filling in the application bit. Do you have patrons anyone in the alumni that could help?? Good luck

Have nothing to offer that hasn't already been mentioned, marley - but I did just want to send you my good luck wishes.

Quite an undertaking - but keep thinking of the end result for inspiration. :o

Maz

We get funding from the lottery, we also get capital and have just received a decent amount to do a refurb of our building. I'm afraid I don't know how to start the process, I get involved at the filling in the application bit. Do you have patrons anyone in the alumni that could help?? Good luck

Patrons? Alumni?

my post seems to have raised a few eyebrows!! The school next to us had a very successfull auctioin as Damien Hirst had donated something!! We are a charity and get some good donations from various companies which we use to raffle or auction. You never know who may have attended your setting, it might be worth a check. We have two patrons one of whom is Sir Richard Bowlby (son of John, attachment theory bowlby), therefore I thought they were reasonable suggestions : )

Hi there!

I've seen a couple of organisations sign up to this:

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/

but not sure how successful it has been.

If you are in an area which is in the European Social Fund/European Union development areas (but from your post it sounds like you might not be - although you never know! and Cait it might also be worth checking for you) check out as they have details of ESF funding and and other sources as well. It's suprising what funds they have on offer!

http://www.esf.gov.uk/2007-2013_funding_opportunities/

Don't forget if people give monetary donations don't forget to gift aid it - it adds a little bit more if the donor is a UK taxpayer. (not sure how you set it up but I'm sure if you google it soemthing will come up).

Also, have you investigated the Extended Schools scheme? There could be money that could be bid for from that.

Good luck!

We recieved a list of grants available from our business advisor from the PLA, she also helped us complete them. So far we have been successful in securing over £20,000 for new resources and training since september, maybe you could try this route. Awards for all is a good one to try as I know they fund new building projects, grass roots is also a good one and Tesco also offer some grants. (sorry all links are on work computer!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)