Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chocolate!

Beau

3. “What use are cartridges in battle? I always carry chocolate instead” Where is this quote from and who wrote it?

The answer is the play Arms and the Man by the Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw.

The Wiki claims the play was one of Shaw's first commercial successes. He was called onto stage after the curtain, where he received enthusiastic applause. However, amidst the cheers, one audience member booed. Shaw replied, in characteristic fashion: "My dear fellow, I quite agree with you, but what are we two against so many?"

Two people got George Bernard Shaw but not the name of the play, so they only only half a point. :o

And to clarify, everyone else got both the name of the play as well and got a full point!

Edited by Beau
Clarification of who got points!

When we were kids is was such a rare treat to get chocolates and sweets that they were always demolished in seconds!

Their fair game the second it comes through our door, and the biggest bandit is my hubby, even the 5 year old knows to hides his chocolate and sweets away from him. :o

4. Approximately how many cocoa beans are needed to make 1lb of chocolate?

The majority of places seem to say that 400 is the average amount, so if you got that as an answer you'll get a point. However, since there seems to be a wide variation with anything from about 135 up to 600, so if you got somewhere in between these amounts I'll give you half a point. (And please don't lynch me! :o )

5. Which were the 3 largest cocoa producing countries in 2004?

Luckily I didn't have to count the beans myself! :o These figures give the production estimates for the 2006–2007 season from the International Cocoa Organization. The percentage is the proportion of the world's total of 3.5 million tonnes for the relevant period.

Côte d’Ivoire 1.3 million tonnes 37.4%

Ghana 720 thousand tonnes 20.7%

Indonesia 440 thousand tonnes 12.7%

Some people didn't get all 3 so I'll give a third (!) of a point for each one you did get right. xD

6. Which film does this quote come from? ”Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.”

It is of course the wonderful Forrest Gump. Not surprisingly, everyone got this right.

Some movie trivia for you!

Tom Hanks younger brother Jim was his running double in the film and his daughter Elizabeth was the little red haired girl on the bus. :o

7. A Swiss manufacturer produced the first milk chocolate bar using powdered milk in which year?

A very clever man called Daniel Peter perfected the technique of adding powdered milk to chocolate to make milk chocolate in 1875. Later he got together with someone called Henri Nestlé to form the Nestlé Company. xD

There was some disagreement about this answer too, but the majority of the places I looked said 1875. If you got one year either side I'll give you half a point. :o

8. When is ‘Chocolate Week’ this year?

Well, there seems to be a week for everything, so why not chocolate? However, don't worry about your diets because Chocolate Week this year isn't until 12th to 18th October. :o And bad luck to the person who put 13th to 19th - that was of course the date of Chocolate Week 2008!

9. How many calories are there in one 22g Twirl finger?

Once again there are some sites with slightly different answers, however the majority say 116 calories. One point if you got this answer and half a point if you got within 5 calories of this. xD You would need to run for about 10 minutes or do 20 minutes of step aerobics to burn off this. :o

You would need to run for about 10 minutes or do 20 minutes of step aerobics to burn off this. xD

But honestly why would one bother? Best just to eat another Twirl - eating is hard work and sure to burn off some calories! :o

10. Who is Ek Chuah and what is his connection to chocolate?

Ek Chuah was a Mayan diety who was actually a god of merchants. At this time cacao beans were a form of currency and used in transactions, hence he became known as the patron, or god, of cacao beans.

I got some wonderful answers to this one - some of you really did your homework! :o So, if you've got something about a Mayan god, and mentioned cacao beans or cacao merchants then you'll get a point. xD

11. Apart from being manufacturers of chocolate, what did John Cadbury, Jospeh Fry and Henry Rowntree have in common? This was obviously an easy one as everyone got it right - they were all Quakers.

Not to be confused with Quavers which I'm quite partial to. I love crisps too Karrie. :o

12. We probably all recognise the names Augustus Gloop, Veruca Salt, Violet Beauregarde, Mike Teavee and Charlie Bucket, but what was the full name of the child who got edited out before the publication of original version of the book?

Everyone answered Miranda Piker which is correct, although I did ask for her full name. In the original drafts she was named Miranda Mary Piker, as you can see here, the girl who is allowed to do anything she wants. However, since no one actually got this, I'll give you all a point for Miranda Piker because I'm nice. :o

ahhh thanks Beau - you are very kind!

can i just ask are you going to strecth this out alllllllllllll evening - have i got to go out and will have to wonder what the other answers are?????????????? :o

dont tell me i know the answers going to be yes ............................... xD