Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New To Uni

I recently started my foundation degree course just after christmas and am feeling very overloaded!.

I do not class myself as "thick" but even after 3 hours of looking at how to reference in our assignments i still cannot grasp it and am worrriying about that more that the assignement itself!

Also how does everyone else fit it in ! what with two kids under 10,managing a preschool for ten sessions a week (which is undergoing a takeover!) i just feel really bogged down.

I am sitting trying to get started but keep looking at my books and computer screen with a blank look!!.

I hope its not just me as i am wondering "What am I doing"

Hi - please don't worry you are just normal. I'm in my second year and supposed to be writing an assignment - that's why I'm distracted and on FSF.

I must admit I'm in exactly the same situation as you - 2 young children, run pre-school - but don't worry you will do it and it is worth it. My family hate the week before assignments are due, they know I'm tired and stressy (that has nothing to do with uni - that's because i ask my hubby to iron. Oh you should hear it!!! So far this term one broken iron and some odd clothes. But that's his learning curve!!!! :o )

Referencing is a nightmare - I'm not sure any of us every completely get it. One of the worlds mysteries. But if you need a hand you know where we all are.

Now I must get back to my last 700 words, I have a glass of coke, chocolate, wine gums and every thing else I need. Great way to spend a weekend xD - but at least it's cold outside. So we are in the best place nice and warm with the laptop on our knees.

Good luck.

I too am being distracted by FSF, it's amazing what crops up when you have an assignment to complete. I am meant to be writing questions for an interview with a leader and also working on my final research project.

As for referencing, sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't, last piece of work I got back, everything was good to very good except my referencing!! It wasn't really a problem for me in my first two years so it goes to show that it doesn't get any easier I'm afraid. We have a study skilss book which tells you how to do practically everything. you can access it online here: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/redcentre/howto Why is it not working? Oh well hope you can use the link! Something else I need to work on!

Don't worry you're just experiencing the 'what am I doing this for?' moment which makes you doubt everything you do! I think doing the FD is a real culture shock - it will take a few weeks to settle into the routine but you will get there!

In the early days of referencing, I just copied out the correct Harvard References for each specific type of book/publication from the Uni handbook (each uni may well have different 'tweaks' to the standard Harvard Reference) and then used it as a template for my own referencing list. That way I got used to how to lay it all out without having to look it up each time.

Good luck - remember to have regular breaks and celebrate your achievements as you go!

Maz

Every time I used a quote in the text I did it in red, so that when I was zooming through them all before printing off I could check that i'd referenced them at the end. Simples :o

Hi there Chumpychop,

I agree with the previous replies. During the course of the FD you will experience bouts of what am I doing this for? and strong temptations to go onto FSF or plan more activities for your setting, anything in fact to avoid putting the finishing touches to the referencing. It is a pain and easy to get muddled up. I'm doing the OU course and they use the Harvard method, which Cait mentioned. At the moment we are doing online conferencing including referencing and this has really kept us on our toes.

Cait, what a brilliant idea to highlight refs. prior to the final check! Thank you for that tip!

Good luck Chumpychop and enjoy doing the course.

Lesley :o

you will be fine honest - we have all felt overwhelmed - never forget my first day at Uni doing my BA topup walked through the door that eveening (hubby had spent all day putting together bedroom units and carpet for daughters bedroom)... i collapsed in tears overwhemed by my day and he picked up the pieces waiting patiently for my comments on bedroom! :o

:o thanks for all your replies!. I feel slightly better now knowing that im not the only one feeling like this! I may use you all when i need assistance!!! if thats ok .thanks againxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)