Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Our IAW To Bake Currant Buns

KUW-40-60mths-find out about and identify the uses of everyday technology and use information and communication technology to support their learning

We have just completed a fullweek in our reception classes on currant buns so though I would share it in a thread.

There will be a few posts with resources

Monday-We started the beginning of the week with a brainstorm of KUW about how to make currant buns and created a shopping list. The children went on to create their own shopping lists some on laminated shopping cards, some use the cards to help them write their own and some used just the flash cards

Edited by Guest

Tuesday-I had taken the childrens scribed notes home and with the help of my talented 11 year old :o created this powerpoint presentation . Viewed as a slide show I designed it so that the ingredients would be revealed after we had a go at using our phonics to read the words.Thankyou to Steve for sorting out the file

We then used the IAW to access the Tesco direct shopping web site and refering to our shopping list we place an order for the ingredients online xD

Edited by Guest

I don't work Wednesday :( so on Thursday

The excited children waited for Tesco's to arrive. We got a message from the Office to say Tesco had rung and the van had broken down :o and it was running an hour late!!!

When the van was spotted there was great excitement and we tumbled out to watch him come down the drive.He was a bit grumpy and didn't seem to realise what was going on and that it was the childrens order!! They soon put him straight xD He allowed us to look inside before leaving.

We went inside and checked our shopping list to make sure everything had been delivered.

Thursday afternoon we made our buns. Using a recipe shared by a member on this forum (sorry can't remember who xD but thankyou) it's the one where every child has their own bowl and uses spoon to make their own bun. I made these recipe cards and pinned them up for the children to follow the sequence.The buns were a bit varied in size and shape :o We used muffin cases and a muffin tray to help keep them in shape

Edited by Guest

Thursday afternoon while we ate our buns I did an RE input (which I mentioned in another thread) We remembered what the ingredients were and following on from work the week before where these ingredients came from.

Margarine-sunflower-sun/rain-God

Flour-Wheat-sun/rain-God

etc

By the end we had finished our buns and ended the day with a Thankyou for our margarine, thankyou for our flour, thankyou God for our currant buns prayer

these are the pictures I used to support this

There are loads of photo's of each day and its made a great display. No adult captions just speech bubbles to children in the photo's and what they said-observations really

This week I'm doing pizza :oxD:(:(

Edited by Guest

Haha - plenty of scope for toppings ..........

the children choose mushrooms and sweetcorn and it was delicious :o. We've made pizza boxes for DT. The role play is a 'shape' pizza hut and I've made some checked chef's aprons tonight I can't wait till tomorrow!!

Anyone know how I can upload the powerpoint??

Edited by Guest

I did have a bit of trouble. I did a test run at home where I have an account and tried to change the delivery address. The school is classed as a business so they wouldn't deliver. Tried unsuccessfully to get hold of customer support at our local store and eventually rang the number on the website. A helpful gentleman was very understanding and suggested to select the nearest house and in the 'special delivery instructions' to put please deliver to the school. He even put me directly through to the Dot.com manager at our local store to confirm this. We were hoping for a reduction on the bill :o but it didn't happen. Because we wanted the delivery between 9-11am it was the most expensive price band

It cost us £9 for the shopping and £5 delivery. We bought enough for buns for 2 classes and enough ingredients for our fortune cookies for this week so it saved someone another trip to the suppermarket.

I have to say there are other supermarkets that deliver xD but Tesco's is the nearest supermarket to school so within the children experience.

the children choose mushrooms and sweetcorn and it was delicious :o. We've made pizza boxes for DT. The role play is a 'shape' pizza hut and I've made some checked chef's aprons tonight I can't wait till tomorrow!!

Anyone know how I can upload the powerpoint??

Send a pm to Steve and he'll sort it out for you. He is the technical whiz kid around here. xD

Looks like they had lots of fun and learned a great deal.

I have to say we regularly use both Tesco and Asda for deliveries to school and never had any problem with the delivery address. The kind drivers also let us keep the green boxes/baskets they deliver in which we use for storage (more than makes up for the delivery charge ~ just have to be a bit cheeky and ask :o ) I usually get things delivered the day before we need them so can get them at a slightly cheaper rate too.

This has been a really inspiring thread. I have to admit I only looked in as I couldn't work out the "law" made currant buns! You can probably guess we don't have anything as fancy as an interactive whiteboard!

This has been a really inspiring thread. I have to admit I only looked in as I couldn't work out the "law" made currant buns! You can probably guess we don't have anything as fancy as an interactive whiteboard!

Nor me, holly35! :o

I thought I had put IAW in capital letters and as there have been recent threads about them I thought it might be of interest but it didn't work and its not clear. There isn't an option to Edit the title just posts.

I thought I had put IAW in capital letters and as there have been recent threads about them I thought it might be of interest but it didn't work and its not clear. There isn't an option to Edit the title just posts.

Ah, the power of the moderator! I am mighty indeed. xD:o

There isn't an option to Edit the title just posts.

If you click on 'full edit' you can edit the title and sub-title of your own threads. xD

But Beau's powers are legendary, of course! :o

Maz

Steve has managed to sort out the powerpoint presentation for me so -Thankyou Steve! xD

I've added it to the original posts under Tuesday so its in the correct time line of events for future readers :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)