Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Computer Limit

I don't think I've seen this stated anywhere, davisconfused! I'd be interested to know what the answer is too - although in our group the maximum time limit is often the length of time the next child is prepared to wait! :o

We use a kitchen timer set to 20 mins. This is a visible sign to children who are waiting, that they will get a turn. They put their name card on the side and can go away and play. When the timer sounds, the child quickly finishes up and calls the next child, who presses the button to re-set the timer. It works well for us - we use the timer with other popular things like digital camera and bee-bots (which I've just realised is all ICT - doesn't look like they queue for anything else, hmm)

We use a kitchen timer set to 20 mins. This is a visible sign to children who are waiting, that they will get a turn. They put their name card on the side and can go away and play. When the timer sounds, the child quickly finishes up and calls the next child, who presses the button to re-set the timer. It works well for us - we use the timer with other popular things like digital camera and bee-bots (which I've just realised is all ICT - doesn't look like they queue for anything else, hmm)

just been on an interesting ICT course-there are lots of equipment that comes under ICT esp for younger ones- interactive books, pop up toys, almost anything that you have to push,press to get a cause and effect, also outdoors when going on trips, pelican crossings, intercoms doorbells etc

also for outdoor play i.e metal detectors (or indoors) did a good activity with buried treasure to determine what it would repond too-just have too think outside the box and not just focus on computers!

We use a kitchen timer set to 20 mins.

We have 2 timers, a 3 minute on and a 1 minute one.

And they often get these out to see how long til their turn.

Only problem is that the older children have realised that the blue one is shorter than the yellow one, giving them less time to wait! :o

Yes I know, we also have tape recorders and headphones and all manner of things - it's just that I noticed that the things that need the timer for are all ICT things - not the sand, or the water, or any of those types of things

Found this with useful H&S tips / risk assessment considerations, but no actual time stated, worth looking at though.

HERE

This one gives advice re breaks and the fact no evidence to show computer use causes eye strain. (IS ADULTS THOUGH)

HERE

Advice re Children and computers HERE

Peggy

have just covered this in my foundation degree :o DATEC state, ' there should be an awareness of health and safety issues, it is recommended that a child of 3yrs using a desk top computer for no more than 10-20mins at a time. this can be extended to 40 min for an 8 year old'.

hope that helps xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)