Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foot Wear

I have recently had an incident at preschool when a child was accidentally kicked in the head during roly poly play. The accident wasn't witnessed, the child didn't cry and it was only when I saw him sitting quietly that I asked if he was o.k.

He said he was accidentally kicked, I checked and found no marks, bruising or bump.

I assumed that he was coming down with a bug that has affected a few children over the last few weeks.

20 minutes later, he was still quiet but appeared comfortable as I read him a story. At this time mum arrived to collect him, he ran over to her and was promptly sick. I told mum of the accident, but we also discussed the possibility of him having the sickness bug.

2 days later, his next session mum informed me that no it was not a bug, he became floppy on the way home, taken to the doctors who immediately called an ambulance - he had concussion.

Mum was great about the whole thing but I felt awful, 3 1st aid qualified staff were on duty at the time but none of us recognised concussion, mum said that even the doctor couldn't find any outward sign of a knock. I have learnt by this that we should not assume a childs symptoms are "whats going around" and that all possible causes of symptoms are considered and that shoes are dangerous.

Anyway the point of this post is that now I feel I must have a new policy and ask that children wear plimsolls indoors because shoes and trainers ( with heavy soles) are obviously quite dangerous. However I don't want to become another safety nanny state type person, this is the first time this has ever happened in 20 yrs experience but I feel now that once is too many.

Do any other settings have this policy and how do parents feel about it?

Peggy

Hi Peggy

At the pre-school my children were in they had to have indoor footwear. All the parents bar one or two complied with this arrangement.

It sounds as though you and your team followed the right procedures and it's always good to have parents who understand. I agree about the nanny state mentality and that one accident like you've described is one too many. Yours had a happy ending some other setting might not have.

Looking at some of the fashions in footwear I was very happy that our pre-school had a soft shoe rule.

I like the sound of roly poly play but maybe you need a special padded room in which to do it!

Plimsolls are not good for children's feet edcept in small doses as they do not provide appropriate support for a childs developing foot. Shoes are a problem. Why is it that the children most liable to kick are always the ones with the thick soled shoes?

when we take chidlren into the hall to do PE they take their shoes and socks off for it. Plimsolls who do not provide the support that feet need. They are usually too large(Older sibling's) or too small (he wears it just once a week). they don't fasten on and as scuh are not usually suitable for chidlren to wear.

LEAs d not reccomemnd it anymore. We wear told that to make chidlren use it would be against LEA policy and we would not be covered by the LEA's health and safety policy

In our small pre-school all children change into slippers on arrival. Any " rolling around" is done on a carpeted area and slippers are removed.

Bumps to the head are always a worry but I have always worried more about the ones that result in no visible signs. It stems back to my own son who at the age of three was getting out of the car and caught his forehead on the lock of the open door. I saw it happen and it made me wince but he didnt cry and there was nothing at all to see, not a mark. I couldn't believe such a knock could cause no injury and took him to A and E. He was absolutely fine, in the waiting area and I began to feel I was neurotic, thankfully I stayed to be seen, my son was admitted with a fractured skull!!! only a hairline but sufficent for admission and observation.

It is difficult not to become part of the nanny state but as you say one incident is one too many. Whatever you decide I am sure parents will realise its for the safety of their children.

Maybe we are just lucky, we asked for plimsolls for use in outdoor PE during the summer and they all complied - some of the footwear (including high heel barbie shoes) were so impractical for slides, climbing frames etc so we have plimsolls outside and slippers inside!

Maybe we should all use our collective brain power and design footwear suitable to use in a pre-school/playgroup/nursery setting. There's obviously a gap in the marekt there.

Our parents are like Hali's, we asked for wellies so we could walk in the field during the spring, even with staff bringing in wellies from home it didn't make enough, so I doubt slippers or plimsoles would work, know what you mean about the barbi shoes!! :D

I dont think there is a gap in the market so much as an influx of 'fashion' wear for small children. I'm constantly amazed at what the children are allowed to wear just because the shoes or trainers have got lights or sparkly bits or a logo like Barbi, Bob the builder. The open toed sandles are the worst, especially with a heel and thin straps. And while we're on about what children wear...why do parents send newly toiletted children in dungarees? or with a belt?? :o

I think there is a gap in the market for sensible pre-school footwear not the latest fads in children's shoes. I could never find anything I was entirely satisfied with when my children were at pre-school not so long ago. From reading all the posts here no one seems entirely happy with footwear situation in their settings either. I need to come up with a new design.....mutlitasking footwear - indoor use, outdoor use, p.e use, safe use. A bit of a tall order me thinks!!

Oh I couldn't agree more, dungarees are one of the worst offenders for children to gain some independence in toiletting. The are even worse than the trousers that are 'just too tight but will last a little longer'. And as for fashion, just ask them to bring in wellingtons and see what you get - high heeled barbie ones - not good for outdoor wear. About the shoes, why don't we just get children to take their shoes off indoors? Mine do automatically when they do any dressing up. And years ago when I worked for the organisation Tumble Tots, everything was done without shoes and that is something I insist upon when doing any thing physical. I know we mustn't adhere to the nanny state, heaven help us and the children if we do. Years ago I was told that every practitioner will have one scare in their career and that sounds as if its happened. We all do what we should do but sometimes something happens.

Anyway, maybe we should all get together and design a range of clothes for the pre school child!

mobbster

Oooo, Mousebat, if youre thinking of designs, come up with a water proof apron which is waterproof :o They either let the water drip down onto the legs (and these types are usually stiff as cardboard) or soak it up and wet the clothes anyway...unless somebody knows something I dont (which is highly possible on this most valued site! hehehe) :D:D

Aaaaaaah. The perpetual shoe problem. xD No answers here I'm afraid. :( I too have had a war against outdoor shoes (a problem on physical apparatus) but most parents just send children in trainers which are no better. It's all very well saying let them go in bare feet but we are in a community hall and the floor often isn't the safest of places despite vigilance. And what to do in case of a fire - evacuate children onto gravel carpark in bare feet?? :o Will await the revolutionary new design. :D

I have one littlegirl who dresses like a 't***' bec mum#s usually dressed the same. She brings her'handbag' to nursery which contains- a pacifier, a lipstick, a mirror and a small eyeshadow kit. Talk about being ready for all emmergencies!!!

i prefer not to have chidlren running in barefeet bec there is a potential for stubbed toes, standing on samal nursery equipment whcih sually look cute but can be lethal= lego bricks!!!ah aha ah. I know i've stood on some at home. Plimsolls are not appropriate for PE or for climbing apparatus- bare feet provide the best grip and makes chidlren confident about theri own abilities.

Thanks for all your responses, they've really got me thinking.

I had dismissed the idea of slippers, tried it before but a few children arrived with those great big fluffy teddy type ones that are impossible to stand up in let alone walk and play :o

I was going to ask for plimsolls, not too expensive but now know as you have advised they are not suitable for all day.

We can't have bare feet, although I use a staple gun to put up displays ( hours to take all the staples out again :( ) the other users of the hall use drawing pins, and sometimes these are found on the floor xD

We are in a large hall, one end for table / small world / art / snacks etc play...the other end is used all session for physical play from C. Frame, wheeled toys, balls and pipes, dancing etc, roly poly play is when we just have the safety mats laid out for the children to lie, stretch, roll etc, as they wish. So we don't have a set PE time as children can excercise, including just running and chasing, balancing, riding, etc at any time during the session ( apart from adult led story, circle, song times).

Maybe a new design of footwear is a good idea, something soft like a plimsoll but maybe with ankle support.....or Slipper socks with added support, got me thinking even more now.

I think I shall just send a letter to parents, explaining my dilemma, asking for sensible suggestions and it may also help them to consider what type of shoes they buy.

Peggy

Peggy,

Just an aside, but on the staple issue, staple at a 45 degree angle so that one end barely goes in to the picture, and it's then rather easier to remove them!!! I use a pair of old scissors to yank them out as staple removers always seem quite naff to me. Hope this isn't teaching grandma (or even you!!) to suck eggs, :o

Dianne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we have a part time Nursery, and our children wear pumps or sensible slippers while indoors. As parents and children arrive, parents help children put pumps on.

Children are then given the option at around 10.10/2.00 for playing outside. if they choose to do this, they must put outdoor shoes, (e.g. trainers) and coats on.

We find this works really well as we encourage our children to be independent, so although an adult is in the cloakroom with the children, the children are encouraged to put their own coat and shoes on, and the adult fastens them.

It also ensures that our carpets and indoor provision is kept cleaner as no mud etc is brought in from outdoors.

Word of warning though...... we do get parents who send their children in ridiculous shoes, that the children havent got a hope of putting on themselves. We do put notes in newsletters reminding parents to provide sensible shoes,a nd also to make sure that they leave their children's shoes with an opening o the children cna put them on themselves.

We have managed to 'train' some of our parents now!

BTW.......totally agree about the whole 'dungarees' thing!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi at our nursery setting i asked all the parents to provide their child with a pair of slippers

1 it prevents the children being hurt

2 it keeps the carpet clean

3 it encourages children personal and social skills (learning to put their own shoes on) :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)