Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sparklebox Tool Bar

MrsL

Has anyone seen the new toolbar thing on sparklebox? Lately, every resource I want to download says 'only for toolbar users'. I have tried to download the toolbar, but my school computer won't let me, and I'm not sure my husband will be too chuffed with me doing it on his laptop either! So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is, what it looks like, how much room it takes up and whether you can get rid of it once you've got it. Then I might be able to convince hubby to let me have it on his laptop!

If you go onto the sparkle box home page, underneath the advert about the chinese new year downloads, there's an image of what the toolbar looks like.

When you download it, it goes under the bit where you type in the web address if I remember rightly - and you can just uninstall it if you don't want it anymore. Or turn it off in the toolbar options of the internet brower you use.

I think... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone! :o

I don't think its necessarily new - I had in on my old laptop which died recently. :o

I wonder why there are still things on Sparklebox which are limited to toolbar users when everything on there is free.

I have no idea how much space it takes up or how it all works - frankly I downloaded it by mistake. Perhaps the best thing might be to email Sparklebox and ask for all the techie info your hubby needs to let you install it?

Good luck!

Maz

I downloaded it onto my laptop and then had quite a few problems with computer. When I used the system restore to a date before toolbar everything went back to normal. Don't know if it was just me?

I downloaded it onto my laptop and then had quite a few problems with computer. Don't know if it was just me?

Well I don't actually have it on my computer, but HappyMaz has had it on her laptop for ages and I don't think she's had any problems? :o

Well I don't actually have it on my computer, but HappyMaz has had it on her laptop for ages and I don't think she's had any problems? xD

I'm sure campbells had it in her laptop too - don't remember her having any problems but perhaps she can confirm or deny... :o

Ive got it, it doesnt take up alot of room. It needs to be reactivated every 7 days so why not download it and get all the bits that are exclusive and then un-install? I havent had any problems with my laptop either!

I've just installed it on my PC and had no problems. I too like my screen uncluttered so turn it off like Mrs Wesaley said when I'm not using sparklebox. I can't understand why you have to have it as the resources are still free when you have downloaded it unless (because the toolbar has a google search facility) it's a way of generating revenue for SB.

Hi -

Many people are suspicious of toolbars, as they are a potential means of introducing spyware into a system. Depending on where the toolbar is sourced from, the original vendors may take information on the browsing habits and search keywords of the PC user, feeding context specific advertisements back in various ways. A website which invites you to install a toolbar customised for that site may well be earning revenue from the information being fed back to the toolbar source.

Personally I wouldn't want to install a third party toolbar without knowing its provenance. However, these are generic comments on toolbars. I don't know what reason the sparklebox site has for making their resources dependant on installing the toolbar so I'm not suggesting that this is what they are doing.

I have it at home and no problems.

When downloading and installing at school. I had to log on as supervisor.... for security reasons most networks are locked down and will not give you permission to download...so speak to you ICT coord.

Its no different than the Google toolbar, take up same space etc.

L

I do have the tool bar and have not had any problems with it. I have it on show all the time and like how it tells me what is new on there, i can then click on the link if I feel it is going to be of interest to me. :o

How can I get rid of mine???

By using the 'remove programs' feature catma? Not that I'd know how to do it, mind! :o

My other half is vehemently against toolbars - something about it being used to gather information about where you go on the internet and either selling the information on to other interested parties, or targeting you with pop-up advertising. Either way he's forbidden us to install them so I'll just stick to those resources on Sparklebox that remain freely available to download!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)