Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Preschool Room Set Out

Hello, I've just taken over a 3-5 room in a day nursery after being off on mat leave and was previously in the baby unit. This means I have little experience of this age group and since my manager is not so helpful I thought i'd ask you as you are!

I need to change my room round as I've noticed in the last two weeks that some areas of the room are hardly used and others seam too small (home corner)

My question is it there an ideal layout for a preschool room, what areas should be together? I'm considering moving the mark making area next to the art/sensory would this be too much in one area??? Also I've been told I have a discovery area, which as the moment consists of a laptop, a broken phone, some linking fish and 2d shapes. This doesnt seem right to me but I'm unsure what should and shouldn't be there!!

Any advice will be great

Thanks

Hmm, I'm with you on this one! We re-jig the room layout every now and then to encourage children to go into areas that they may not previously go. As long as you keep quiet areas together, things like book corner, jigsaws etc. and messy areas near to a sink, and try not to block walkways (as you will know anyway)

I'd scrap the discovery bit for now, see if they miss it, and then ask them to bring things in for it. If there's no interest just put a twig in a jam jar with some magnifying glasses and see what happens. Maybe introduce some cress or carrot tops later....

our basic areas

home corner

drawing table

floor play (small world manly but a big pile of lego always seems to work better on the floor)

construction table

book corner

puzzles ans games (which becomes a work table)

messy area

learing Zone (Which is for table top, math, language, motor activities)

i think it is so important to feel you can give things a gig around.

our construction and small world are close so the children can extend there own play makinging houses for animals and the like

we have a central mark making/ drawing area again so it can be accsesed and inclue other areas eg making invertations, cards for home corner, labels for construction

i agree with Cait just group quiet areas together, things like book corner, jigsaws etc. and messy areas near to a sink, and risk asses but truly its great your thinking about the children and just reflect on the changes you make and keep re-giging intill you feel its right

good luck let us know how it gos :o

Good advice already, and yes changing layout to childrens 'play/learning' needs I think is crucial, sometimes they need greater space for construction identified by current interests yet other times they need the role play area extended.

Consider good use of screening, mats and comfortable floor space (less tables), wall displays at child height to enhance the type of play within that space, ie maths area with interactive wall display, office area with letters displayed etc.

I've attached some photo's of the various ways I set out our preschool, these are just a small example of the many ways the whole setting was changed during the course of my 7 years in this setting. :o I hope you like the pictures, unfortunately it's difficult to show how the areas were placed in relation to each other. The discovery area (draws) took little space, doubled up as a divider, and was often accessed and provided good resources for science discovery.

We were based in a large hall and one successful layout was to divide the hall down the middle length ways, one side play zones, the other completey empty, children could ride bikes/scooters, perform own dance routines, action songs, play skittles, etc. We did have outdoor access but not freeflow all the time so this 'space' was very useful for 'energetic' learners, the children were always able to move any resources to any area they chose during the session (rule being put back when finished with)

Bikes, scooters etc, music, art, puppets, items that tend to only come out of the cupboard when adult decides, were available all the time, this stopped the 'something new' frantic grab scenario. The children knew they would always be available so used them more productively.

Get down to child level (on your knees) and have a look at their visual perspective of the environment.

Peggy

p.s. we were a pack away group. If set up all the time layouts could become stale /stagnant, one advantage I think of being pack away.

post-3604-1232279337_thumb.png

post-3604-1232279543_thumb.png

post-3604-1232279653_thumb.png

post-3604-1232279728_thumb.png

post-3604-1232279790_thumb.png

post-3604-1232279820_thumb.png

post-3604-1232279917_thumb.png

post-3604-1232279956_thumb.png

post-3604-1232279989_thumb.png

post-3604-1232280043_thumb.png

post-3604-1232280079_thumb.png

post-3604-1232280259_thumb.png

post-3604-1232280581_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1232281032_thumb.png

I would observe and look for the key areas that are used the most. As you are with pre-schoolers you could also use the mosaic appraoch to make sure they are involved in the process, apparently it is quite unsettling to come into a room that has been re jigged without prior warning or input, just like at the supermarket when they move the isle's around, we all know how frustrating that can be.

I love the photos Peggy!! I especially like the senses draws!! May I steal your idea!?? xD

of course you can, post the pic when you've done it eh :o

Peggy

Hello, I've just taken over a 3-5 room in a day nursery after being off on mat leave and was previously in the baby unit. This means I have little experience of this age group and since my manager is not so helpful I thought i'd ask you as you are!

I need to change my room round as I've noticed in the last two weeks that some areas of the room are hardly used and others seam too small (home corner)

My question is it there an ideal layout for a preschool room, what areas should be together? I'm considering moving the mark making area next to the art/sensory would this be too much in one area??? Also I've been told I have a discovery area, which as the moment consists of a laptop, a broken phone, some linking fish and 2d shapes. This doesnt seem right to me but I'm unsure what should and shouldn't be there!!

Any advice will be great

Thanks

Hi we have a Discovery Box which the children can have out whenever they want. It has things such as shells, wood, twigs, fur, materials, shiny things, unusual objects to investigate etc. etc. It works well as its not out all the time. :o

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay

:oxD:(

..............just a spoonful of sugar helped my medicine go down. :(

Peggy

Gosh Peggy (ah my nan's name, she was a Margaret too, another post I know), what a huge room at least it looks huge compared to ours, and you have to pack it all away? How do you do it, do you have a bag like Mary Poppins? :(

Rachel

I don't 'do it' anymore, closed my preschool in Dec 2007, (I'm a foster carer to 4 siblings now).

Didn't have a Mary Poppins bag either, All had to be packed away every day, lots of furniture on wheels, a good system of how to store / stack into the 2 cupboard we had (ie: what goes in what cupboard, what goes first to last -get this wrong and you need to start again or the door doesn't close :o ) but most important of all, much better than a Mary Poppins bag was that I had a very good staff team who all mucked in and 'just got on with it'. xD:(

Peggy

p.s. Good for fitness too :(

Good advice already, and yes changing layout to childrens 'play/learning' needs I think is crucial, sometimes they need greater space for construction identified by current interests yet other times they need the role play area extended.

Consider good use of screening, mats and comfortable floor space (less tables), wall displays at child height to enhance the type of play within that space, ie maths area with interactive wall display, office area with letters displayed etc.

I've attached some photo's of the various ways I set out our preschool, these are just a small example of the many ways the whole setting was changed during the course of my 7 years in this setting. :o I hope you like the pictures, unfortunately it's difficult to show how the areas were placed in relation to each other. The discovery area (draws) took little space, doubled up as a divider, and was often accessed and provided good resources for science discovery.

We were based in a large hall and one successful layout was to divide the hall down the middle length ways, one side play zones, the other completey empty, children could ride bikes/scooters, perform own dance routines, action songs, play skittles, etc. We did have outdoor access but not freeflow all the time so this 'space' was very useful for 'energetic' learners, the children were always able to move any resources to any area they chose during the session (rule being put back when finished with)

Bikes, scooters etc, music, art, puppets, items that tend to only come out of the cupboard when adult decides, were available all the time, this stopped the 'something new' frantic grab scenario. The children knew they would always be available so used them more productively.

Get down to child level (on your knees) and have a look at their visual perspective of the environment.
Peggy

p.s. we were a pack away group. If set up all the time layouts could become stale /stagnant, one advantage I think of being pack away.

Hi we have a Discovery Box which the children can have out whenever they want. It has things such as shells, wood, twigs, fur, materials, shiny things, unusual objects to investigate etc. etc. It works well as its not out all the time. :o

hi, just joined today, were i work there are 2 rooms ajoining open access to both all the time, and at the moment we are arranging our areas, were to put them. we are registered

for children aged 2 to going to school, so all ages of our children have access to all areas same time. Help. xD

hi, just joined today, were i work there are 2 rooms ajoining open access to both all the time, and at the moment we are arranging our areas, were to put them. we are registered

for children aged 2 to going to school, so all ages of our children have access to all areas same time. Help. :o

Welcome to the Forum, sarah09

Congratulations on making your first posts - make yourself at home and keep them coming!

Maz

PS Sorry I can't help - but someone will be long soon....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)