Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

World Book Day

Nothing yet. We sometimes do a dressing up day - book character, but this year we have such a high proportion of two year olds who can freak a bit if the room is different, this might not be a good plan.....

I have to admit I forgot to register! xD

I was wondering about a story telling event of some kind, or perhaps a book character dress up day. I suppose I should think properly about it shouldn't I? :o

Maz

during the week befor and after we are looking at two books the children seem to love the Grufflo at the moment so we are going to look at what scares us, family units bring in Grufflo child, turn home corner in to Grufflo cave /forest masks ans lots of creative ideas.

on the day we are inviting the chidren to dress up as there favourite character bring a book to share in a small group thinking about making a group story. thinking on that at the moment may be inviting some of the parents/nannys to read there favourite story from when they were smaller

but the best thing is we have the auther of Handus suprise coming in to read to the children which i was just blown away by im so excited. hope that not sounding a bit mad. but the following week we are going to focus on the Handa stories.

hope theres somthing there that may help spark some fab ideas for you x

but the best thing is we have the auther of Handus suprise coming in to read to the children which i was just blown away by im so excited. hope that not sounding a bit mad. but the following week we are going to focus on the Handa stories.

Mad? Of course you're not sounding mad! I'd be so excited too - am just wondering on how earth you managed it! :o Make sure you shout it from the rooftops won't you - local press etc. Send a photo to Nursery World? How fantastic!

Maz

Mad? Of course you're not sounding mad! I'd be so excited too - am just wondering on how earth you managed it! :o Make sure you shout it from the rooftops won't you - local press etc. Send a photo to Nursery World? How fantastic!

Maz

sorry to be stupid but when is world book dasy?

Hi,

Last year we organised a book swap. We wrote to parents and spoke to the children asking them to select a book to bring to school to exchange for a different one. When the children arrived (dressed as book characters) with their book we gave them a token in exchange for their book. During the session the books were all displayed and the children took turns using their tokens to choose a new book and to operate the 'book swap stall'.

It was great fun and both the parents and children enjoyed it. We are going to do it again this year!! :o

Valp59

Nickynoodles,sorry-was so taken aback with Daz's reply. In the past we have dressed up and done book swaps. How about finding out the most popular book with readers in your setting and making that author a possible focus? luluj

We are going to be dressing up all week as we have different children in on different days and I want them all to be involved. And our MP is coming in to read a story on the Friday.

Linda

Too right Carol! Although I don't agree with the politics I have to say she is a very lovely lady and is always very friendly and good with the children.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

I plan to ask the children to bring a favourite book to pre-school to be read aloud. Hopefully the stories will enthuse the children to maybe act out a few stories and follow on by making masks and painting pictures of their favourite characters throughout the week! We have just enhanced our 'reading corner' with comfy chairs, thick fluffy rug, wall mounted book rack and lovely 'dress me up' dolls - all thanks to Emergency Funding!!! It's just amazing the way the children have homed into this area. Even the most lively of children lin our setting love the new cozy area! It has become a manic free area at last :o

Haha - ooh Carol!

We asked our local councillor to come in a few years ago to read, but he just played in the sand and water and the local press photographer just got a picture of that! Couldn't decide whether it was him who looked silly in the paper - or us! especially as the article was about WBD!

Won't be asking him again!

Too right Carol! Although I don't agree with the politics I have to say she is a very lovely lady and is always very friendly and good with the children.

Linda

Who is your MP then? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)