Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Planning

Hi everyone

I have just found this forum and I am finding it very interesting reading some of the posts and feel I will be getting some great ideas for our club.

I have been running an After School and Holiday Club based within a primary school for the last 18 months. We have progressed from a satisfactory setting to a good setting within this time. Our last inspection was in October last year and the only recommendation was to introduce adequate planning and observation for EYFS.

I am struggling with the planning and observations, as at the moment we are just producing room plans to work from, which is not adequate. I was hoping that other after school clubs on this forum may be kind enough to share their planning and observations to see how I can progress this area and produce good detailed planning that will please ofsted the next time they visit.

Thank you

Lynne

Welcome to the Forum, westonkidsclub

Congratulations on your first post - and on the improvements you have already made in your group.

I don't know how many Forum members run after school clubs but I'm sure there will be some helpful suggestions. What sort of support do you get from your early years team? Perhaps they could put you in touch with a group who have got it cracked?

My first thoughts are not to try to do everything at once. Perhaps start by observing children and see what they like doing (and ask them, too!) and start by planning activities based on what their interests are.

You could have a look at the continuous provision sheets on here and adapt them for your setting - not only good for showing Ofsted how you implement the EYFS but also for getting to know the development matters statements and the principles. :o

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Good morning!!

I work in a primary school setting and manage lunch club / private nursery provision / and after school club care.

We had an Ofsted in May 08 which looked at all the above services as we were a new registration (Sep 07)

We had a few outstandings but also got good for the after school care.

There were no recommendations for after school.

Since then obviously the EYFS has been brought in and my staff went off on a course re planning for the EYFS.

I personally do not believe we should plan for the EYFS children !

At the end of the school day my idea is that they have activities on offer but essentially it is their free time where in a different world they would be at home playing with whatever they wanted!

We are due a school inspection soon and will be inspected again as part of that I am sure.

So we have plans in place that reflect an awareness of the six areas of learning and which toys / activites can be seen to be covering these areas.

On the bottom of the sheet though I stipulate that the children are entirely free to choose what THEY want to do and no pressure is on them to do what we want them to do!

My staff all work in school doing other jobs and all work with nursery at some point either PPA cover, lunch club or the private sessions and observations are not made as such currently but we do pass info to each other re what sort of day they have had, behaviour issues etc and a note might be kept if some has behaved hbadly in after school. Parents are informed of this also.

Also at the end of the year we did do questionnaires about what they did and didn't like what they might like to see more of etc but for the little ones this an be tricky!!!!

I don't know if this helps at all.........!!!!!!!!!!

If I can be of further help please get in touch!!

By the way, well done on the GOOD from the O people!!!!

Hi

Thanks for all your help and comments. They have got my brain working overtime, so keep them coming, have come up with some ideas and will be talking through with my staff at our next meeting.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lynne

xx

Guest cathy m
hi everyone, im wondering if anyone can help mewiththe planning side of EYFS im a childminder who is confussed this is my first time on here

Hi Carol600

I am a childminder, I know many of us do our own plans, sometimes by sharing ideas with others. Have you looked on the eyfs disc? there are some ideas there.

perhaps your local authority has produced some resources or a planning file (continuous provision is popular)

Do you have a designated childminder development worker (local authority

Are you able to ask for a mentor?

could you meet with other childminders in your community?

There's always help and support on this forum, look in the resource library, ther's some good information and ideas there

Cathy

:o

Hi Carol600

I am a childminder, I know many of us do our own plans, sometimes by sharing ideas with others. Have you looked on the eyfs disc? there are some ideas there.

perhaps your local authority has produced some resources or a planning file (continuous provision is popular)

Do you have a designated childminder development worker (local authority

Are you able to ask for a mentor?

could you meet with other childminders in your community?

There's always help and support on this forum, look in the resource library, ther's some good information and ideas there

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I am a childminder also - may be we could keep in touch

Hi im just looking for ideas really, as a childminder i do these things on a daily basis i know its getting it done on paper and making it easy as i dont get a lot of free time as many childminders will know but thanx for your advice x

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Westonkidsclub and welcome to the forum

I am assistant head/EYFS co-ordinator/Ks1 co-ordinator in a small primary school which has an afterschool club.Part of my (many) duties is to be line manager to the staff at the afterschool club so I am aware of what you are talking about.

Just a few suggestions please take or leave them.

How about using the back of a roll of wallpapaper and get all the children who use the club write down their ideas for what they would like to happen next half term?.....the planning has been done for you!( I am presuming diff children come on diff evenings)

you could colour code this ,different coloured pens for diff year groups or key stages....reception will need help

this would form your plan for activities as they are the childrens suggestions.

It could even be turned into a display (if you have the room) with childrens photos next to the idea.

A suggestion box for ideas for activities....this could be for parents and children....again keep these on file and it will show Ofsted that you listen to parents and children and take account of their views when planning.

to back all this work up keep a plastic pocket file of photos 1 for each term to show what has been going on ,again the children to contribute by doing a speech bubble to say why they enjoy the activity.Don't make this album a pain...have it out for the children to make9with a bit of help) show healthy eating,outdoor play etc etc

Hope this is ok

Tinkerbellx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)