Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline Assesment Of F1 New Starter

Hi,

We have just had our new intake of F1 children. I am aware that I need to make a clear baseline assesment of them, especially as many of our children arrive below the national average. How do I do this? I have been told by our LA not to use the FSP, which is fine as many will get 0.

How do you set up activites that will assess them on all the areas against all the objectives as obviously we need to find out which band is their best fit to work out their next steps.

If I seem cluess then it's because I am - have never worked in FSU and have moved from KS2!!! Have managed to get through the first term, but am really aware I have sooo much to do and thought a good start would be to get to grips properly with this. We do 2 5 mins obs on two children per day and lots of sticker observations but do we need to do something special with the new starters???

Thanks in advance :o

November x

Hi there November - welcome to the Forum!

I can't help because I'm in pre-school (I don't even know how old F1 children are! :o let alone anything else!). But I do know there will be lots of good advice soon.

In the meantime have a good look round and make yourself at home!

Maz

Thanks for replying! The children haven't been to other nurserys, but most of them have been to surestart. We get a basic assessment from them but it is more about - I can wash my hands, I can put my coat on etc. Nothing that really links to the EYFS development matters.

F1 children are 3 years and 3 months old so I am sure I need to some sort of assessment - I just need some way to make it managable and linked to EYFS development matters statements.

Thanks x

Thanks for replying! The children haven't been to other nurserys, but most of them have been to surestart. We get a basic assessment from them but it is more about - I can wash my hands, I can put my coat on etc. Nothing that really links to the EYFS development matters.

F1 children are 3 years and 3 months old so I am sure I need to some sort of assessment - I just need some way to make it managable and linked to EYFS development matters statements.

Thanks x

Thanks x

We use Flying Start to assess our children on entry into N and it works for us because it gives us an indication of what children can do as they enter school. It is certainly not fool proof because we are given a six week observation period to consider our judgements however there are certain areas of provision that some children dont even choose to access during this time.

I would start by looking at key elements of the development matters and consider whether they are entering in the expected range 30-50 months. If they are then great, because they are probably on track - if they are below you need to consider how you can support and extend them and if they are above you need to ensure that you are stretching them - I'm sorry this probably isnt much help, but my advice would be to ensure that you have plenty of evidence to create a snapshot of your cohort entering school that will support your judgements.

Good luck, it is never easy!

hello November,

Dont worry it will all become very clear very soon!

Look at the EYFS practice guidance and the look listen and note, effective practice and planning columns Then you can see after a while roughly where youre children are. Dont forget it cannot be a wholly accurate assessment as you dont know your children yet and remember the development matters ages are only gidelines for hierarchical development. It is not set in stone. At our school I have to assess using the profile for baseline and then for ongoing termly assessment but thats not how its meant or intended to be used so i wouldnt stress too much about it. Good Luck :o

We also use Flying Start Baseline, it is really useful as it continues in F2 and where applicable the baseline statements are cross referenced with the FSP so it isn't anymore work in F2.

I am also in your position November. My new intake started this week. I have decided to assess them against the CLLD and PSED dev' matters statements as this is the area that chidlren tend to make the most initial progress in. Also, this is the area where most of the focus is with new chidlren in the first term, especially the PSED side of things. I have consulted several advisors who agree that this is the best method and also the lovely members on here were in agreement with me. There is a thred that you may find useful on here

Click hereClick here

Thank you all so much for replying! You know what it is like - sometimes I feel like I am missing something and it is good to hear what you all do!

Rufus I agree that trying to assess against all of the areas is just a nightmare, especially as I have 2 F2 teaching slots to fit in am and pm!! Thanks very much for the link it was a really interesting read!

I just feel better that you don't set up loads of activities to assess and feel the need to make a final judgement in the first few weeks. I think this is where you can see my KS2 background where by now they would have had some formal assessments and levels assigned for my progress discussions with my headteacher!!

Thanks again

November x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)