Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help!

Within my room, there are four permenant members of staff (including myself) and another member of staff who does our break and lunch cover each day during term time.

She is starting to become a a real issue within our room as (I know this sounds mean) but she is just completely and utterly useless! She is a 40 something year old woman who seems to have no common sense at all. She has worked in the setting for over a year now, and is qualified level 2 now (which you really wouldnt believe!!) and has worked in my room for about 9 months continously and still does not seem to have a clue.

She asks the most silliest questions, like "shall I wipe their faces now?" when they have finished their snack or lunch at the tables - when it is clearly obvious that thats what needs doing/takes like an hour to change 8 nappies/asks if their bum is clean/

Oh my gosh I could really go on with a huge list and moan so much but it would take forever.

I have created rotas within the room (which includes us all so it doesnt look as though she is being singled out to give her a bit of "oomph!" but it doesnt seem to have worked!)

Help what do I do next??

Goodness!!

When do you do your staff appraisals? are you her line manager? I would suggest that whoever is her line manager tells her that she will be having her job appraisal this half term, and I have a sample letter if you want one. This will give you an opportunity to spell it out for her, properly and point out that by now you are expecting her to work on her own initiative a bit

Goodness!!

When do you do your staff appraisals? are you her line manager? I would suggest that whoever is her line manager tells her that she will be having her job appraisal this half term, and I have a sample letter if you want one. This will give you an opportunity to spell it out for her, properly and point out that by now you are expecting her to work on her own initiative a bit

No, room leader, I have approached my line manager about it several times and when I did last week she said that she is going to try and bring the staff appraisals forward sooner.

Well I would definitely do that. By doing it this half term she has an opportunity to 'pull her socks up' next half term and appraisal feedback in the first half term of the summer term to let her know how she's getting on.

Well I would definitely do that. By doing it this half term she has an opportunity to 'pull her socks up' next half term and appraisal feedback in the first half term of the summer term to let her know how she's getting on.

I really hope so. I mean already wiping the childrens bums as my job lol shouldnt have to be doin a member of staffs as well lol

Within my room, there are four permenant members of staff (including myself) and another member of staff who does our break and lunch cover each day during term time.

She is starting to become a a real issue within our room as (I know this sounds mean) but she is just completely and utterly useless! She is a 40 something year old woman who seems to have no common sense at all. She has worked in the setting for over a year now, and is qualified level 2 now (which you really wouldnt believe!!) and has worked in my room for about 9 months continously and still does not seem to have a clue.

She asks the most silliest questions, like "shall I wipe their faces now?" when they have finished their snack or lunch at the tables - when it is clearly obvious that thats what needs doing/takes like an hour to change 8 nappies/asks if their bum is clean/

Oh my gosh I could really go on with a huge list and moan so much but it would take forever.

I have created rotas within the room (which includes us all so it doesnt look as though she is being singled out to give her a bit of "oomph!" but it doesnt seem to have worked!)

Help what do I do next??

oh i can sympathise with this situation, i took on a level 2 who showed no initiative and asked inane questions! ive had her placed in every room to see if we can find her niqche- she transpired to be quite good in the baby room as she has her own baby but after her ist performance review she has slipped so much now she had a contract- she is driving other staff mad with her lack of inititive and motivation, think my favourite phrase at the moment is im your manager not your babysitter!!

now shes been on sick since before christmas, dread to think what she will be like! have suggseted a room meeting so they all can sort out differences and will be doing supervision asap-we have supervisions every 8 weeks now to discuss any concerns or issues which is working really well- i have issued a few notice to improve, setting targets to be reviewd at next supervision or sooner if need be-might be an idea to do this?

I think jaycooks is quite right that these sort of issues should be addressed at regular supervision meetings rather than annual appraisals.

With supervision meetings you can set targets to be achieved in a short time scale, with consequences if not met. Initiative seems to be the operative word here, I wonder why she struggles with this, is she generally an unconfident person? Does she ever achieve anything initiated by herself which has been acknowledged? Maybe more blunt questions such as why are you asking me that? or what do you think? (questions I use with my children :o ) may help her to realise how much her insecurity affects others. Maybe this is a personality trait/habit?

Whatever the reasons behind this at the end of the day she needs to improve, maybe asking her how she thinks she can work towards improving her performance will put the 'responsibility' back to her, so to speak.

Maybe an assertiveness course?

Good luck, let us know if the situation resolves.

Peggy

no honestly just i cant talk about my issue as my LEA has now subsrcibed so i dont know whos reading! thats all but im happy to help via PM if it woud be of use. xD

It is difficult when you're a member here and then your Local Authority subscribes! That said, it does keep me on the straight and narrow knowing that absolutely anyone in our Borough could be reading it...

Perhaps I should just change my name to protect the innocent? :o

Maz

She is starting to become a a real issue within our room as (I know this sounds mean) but she is just completely and utterly useless!

I've been mulling this over for a while and thinking about how to respond because this scenario seems close to home!

I'm wondering if this person is aware that the quality of her practice is below what is acceptable and that her colleagues are finding her difficult to work with because of it? I'm not sure if you have had formal or informal discussions with her, but it may be that she is picking up non-verbal cues and has lost confidence in her abilities to do the job right. This might explain why she is asking questions about what she should be doing when you feel it is entirely obvious what is necessary. She may just be desperately trying not to make more mistakes and upset everyone further.

The reason I ask is that I know in the past that my reactions have helped create a working environment in which someone felt they couldn't get anything right. It was only when we talked about it honestly that I realised that my motives and actions had been completely misunderstood - but the end result was a staff member who felt unsupported and undervalued. xD

I can only speculate about what the root causes of your staff member's problems may be - but it does sound as if she needs a lot of support in order to improve her practice and raise her confidence/self esteem. Perhaps if you come at it from this angle it might be easier to find a way through - and be a lot less confrontational than starting from the viewpoint that she is useless. I hasten to say that I'm not suggesting you have contributed to this situation - but I just wanted to share a difficult experience which might help you view your situation in a different light.

I would definitely not bring this up at an appraisal though - this is a time to celebrate achievements and what has gone well as well as to identify future targets. However if you have a separate meeting and decide together what the priorities are then you can agree an action plan to enable her to gain or develop the skills she needs to succeed.

I really struggle with this aspect of my job - its a bit like being a parent in that you learn as you go along and hindsight is a wonderful thing! :o

Good luck - let us know how things go!

Maz

oh i can sympathise with this situation, i took on a level 2 who showed no initiative and asked inane questions! ive had her placed in every room to see if we can find her niqche- she transpired to be quite good in the baby room as she has her own baby but after her ist performance review she has slipped so much now she had a contract- she is driving other staff mad with her lack of inititive and motivation, think my favourite phrase at the moment is im your manager not your babysitter!!

now shes been on sick since before christmas, dread to think what she will be like! have suggseted a room meeting so they all can sort out differences and will be doing supervision asap-we have supervisions every 8 weeks now to discuss any concerns or issues which is working really well- i have issued a few notice to improve, setting targets to be reviewd at next supervision or sooner if need be-might be an idea to do this?

this sounds a good suggestion, I might put it forward to my manager, thank u.

I think jaycooks is quite right that these sort of issues should be addressed at regular supervision meetings rather than annual appraisals.

With supervision meetings you can set targets to be achieved in a short time scale, with consequences if not met. Initiative seems to be the operative word here, I wonder why she struggles with this, is she generally an unconfident person? Does she ever achieve anything initiated by herself which has been acknowledged? Maybe more blunt questions such as why are you asking me that? or what do you think? (questions I use with my children :o ) may help her to realise how much her insecurity affects others. Maybe this is a personality trait/habit?

Whatever the reasons behind this at the end of the day she needs to improve, maybe asking her how she thinks she can work towards improving her performance will put the 'responsibility' back to her, so to speak.

Maybe an assertiveness course?

Good luck, let us know if the situation resolves.

Peggy

Yes Peggy, she is quite an unconfident person so to speak, but I thought with working in the setting for over a year this would have somehow developed, even just a little bit. When she achieves things it is ackowledged yes, I have made sure of that, especially when she was working towards her level 2 qualification.

This week myself and another member of staff within my room have spoken to her one on one while we have had a quiet moment while the children are asleep just to get a general feel of her feelings, asking her for example how she thinks she is getting on now that she is with us 5 days a week, if shes feel more confident etc to take it upon herself to do certain tasks without being asked etc. (and those chats still havent seemed to help!! - so have reported the feedback back to my manager and am now leaving it in her hands as it is drving me mad!)

Is there anyone that is completely and utterly useless? Surely there must be something this person is good at. You do have my sympathy though :o

yes she is very kind and caring but just in the wrong job I think.

I've been mulling this over for a while and thinking about how to respond because this scenario seems close to home!

I'm wondering if this person is aware that the quality of her practice is below what is acceptable and that her colleagues are finding her difficult to work with because of it? I'm not sure if you have had formal or informal discussions with her, but it may be that she is picking up non-verbal cues and has lost confidence in her abilities to do the job right. This might explain why she is asking questions about what she should be doing when you feel it is entirely obvious what is necessary. She may just be desperately trying not to make more mistakes and upset everyone further.

The reason I ask is that I know in the past that my reactions have helped create a working environment in which someone felt they couldn't get anything right. It was only when we talked about it honestly that I realised that my motives and actions had been completely misunderstood - but the end result was a staff member who felt unsupported and undervalued. xD

I can only speculate about what the root causes of your staff member's problems may be - but it does sound as if she needs a lot of support in order to improve her practice and raise her confidence/self esteem. Perhaps if you come at it from this angle it might be easier to find a way through - and be a lot less confrontational than starting from the viewpoint that she is useless. I hasten to say that I'm not suggesting you have contributed to this situation - but I just wanted to share a difficult experience which might help you view your situation in a different light.

I would definitely not bring this up at an appraisal though - this is a time to celebrate achievements and what has gone well as well as to identify future targets. However if you have a separate meeting and decide together what the priorities are then you can agree an action plan to enable her to gain or develop the skills she needs to succeed.

I really struggle with this aspect of my job - its a bit like being a parent in that you learn as you go along and hindsight is a wonderful thing! :o

Good luck - let us know how things go!

Maz

Thank you for the time and thought you put into your reply. Ive taken it all on board and am now writing up a list of pros and cons so to speak and a list of questions etc to be put to my manager.

Yes, appraisals should always be positive, rather than negative. A chance for the appraisee to have their say about their feelings, what they'd like to improve about their job, and what training they'd like etc. and for the appraisor to celebrate the good things they have seen and offer advice as to how these training needs would be best met.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)