Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dissertation Help

Hi everyone,

After seeing all your wonderful ideas and help for people's dissertation i thought i'd see if any of you can help me.

I’m currently trying to think of a topic/title to research for my upcoming Early Childhood dissertation. I have family links in Sweden, I am thinking about comparing the differences between the two education systems, or something along those lines. I’m afraid that this maybe a very big area to research so I’m after some suggestions.

Thanks for your help

Yes, nickynoodles - it does strike me as being a very wide area. However you can narrow it down to look at something you're really interested in (perhaps something of benefit in your own setting). Then you could compare how they do something (perhaps outdoor play for example) with how you do it in your setting. Depending on how big your project has to be, perhaps you could implement some aspect of their practice into your group and see what effect it has on th children - perhaps behaviour or engagement levels?

Just an idea - I'm sure there will be lots of others on offer soon!

Maz

Teachers TV had a programme called 'how they do it in Sweden'. I recall them saying how babies are put outside in their prams, all bundled up in temperatures as low as -5. It might give food for thought for pracitioners who dont like going outside in the winter.

:o

Try a google for works by Tricia David, she has done a lot of comparative European studies including Swedish childcare & education.

I visited Sweden in the 90's to see their childcare provision, I was most impressed by their attitude to outdoor provision and also the training adults underwent to become practitioners, this is to graduate level but includes age range 0-99, including asthetic / health / creative subjects as well as academic.

Peggy

Teachers TV had a programme called 'how they do it in Sweden'. I recall them saying how babies are put outside in their prams, all bundled up in temperatures as low as -5. It might give food for thought for pracitioners who dont like going outside in the winter.

:o

Ooh I remember that one - it was fantastic. I loved their little family groups and was so jealous of the fantastic setting they had!

Hi everyone,

After seeing all your wonderful ideas and help for people's dissertation i thought i'd see if any of you can help me.

I’m currently trying to think of a topic/title to research for my upcoming Early Childhood dissertation. I have family links in Sweden, I am thinking about comparing the differences between the two education systems, or something along those lines. I’m afraid that this maybe a very big area to research so I’m after some suggestions.

Thanks for your help

Hi nickynoodles! A way to refine your research down a bit would be to concentrate on the forest school concept which originated in Sweden in the 1950's and then notably spread to other Scandinavian areas, then Europe. Studies have shown that forest school children have less sick days than city educated children (sorry, can't quote the research but remember reading about it somewhere) - your research question could revolve around this???

Just an idea - I'm sure you'll have many more ...good luck!

Fingertips

I would love to visit Sweden to see how everything is done too! The Teachers TV video picked up on both practitioners and parents not rushing their children to read and write until they're ready as Steiner similarly practised so you could go into how they don't start formal education until later in life, I know its a hotly debated topic so you could probably find loads of research from over the years to support this, drawing on the Rose report and review and the EYFS development matters that are causing controversy etc

I'm currently researching Developmental Movement Play for small comparitive study on Foundation Degree and its amazing how much research and material there actually is around...just got to get round to actually writing it all up now I've visited my other setting :o

Good luck x

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)