Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Girls And Indoor Water Play

Hi all

I've been observing the nursery to see who is using each of the areas, I've noticed that we have very few girls using the water area inside. It's a lovely water tray with plenty of resources, boats, jugs, funnels, animals, spoons etc.

The boys have a big transporting schema, where everything they can usually ends up in the water.

Have you any suggestions to get the girls into the water (so to speak!!)

thansk

washing dolls,sponges,soap etc,also home corner equipment pots pans teapots,i know its a bit stereotypical but you will still find the boys washing the dolls as well

Gillx

Alongside the washing dolls mine really enjoyed lots of little pots of bubble baths in different colours, i provided lots of empty ones too for them to mix them up and make their own 'potions'. Also added glitter and sparkles and large gold stars for them to fish out with little tea strainers.

Yes, our boys love washing dolls just as much as the girls.

Girls also like the shiny pebbles to 'catch' in their nets, collanders and sieves. Add some glitter, colour and 'smell' and they'll play for ages.

I have never noticed a lack of girls at our water tray and this week they're playing with tall & short containers, basters, whisks (ones with handles and the balloon ones) and jugs and whatever else takes their fancy. :o

Have you tried Gelli Baff? It turns the water into goo and they have a new 'Princess Pink' colour out - my neice loves it! It is expensive but could be a way to encourage the girls in. Also try making large ice cubes (with a takeaway container) using pink/purple coloured water, sparkly bits as dcn suggested.

Try something somewhere else to divert the boys? A sand tray full of dinosaurs or 4X4s (HEHE) How sexist is that - but to make it work properly you'd have to tell my lot they couldn't play in it, it's just for girls! hahahahahahahaah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)