Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term Planning - Skills Based.

Hello

There has been a few threads on here about LTP and coverage. How do we know that we are covering everything when we are following the children's interests?

After speaking to my team, we have decided to devise a LTP based on the skills that we are going to cover each term. Therefore we will know that everything has been covered, but how we cover it will be left down to each teacher and each cohort of children.

Please have a look at my CD plan so far and see what you think. I have only finished the 'exploring media and materials' section. Still have Music section to do.

Thanks, I look forward to your feedback.

Creative_development_Long_Term_Planning.doc

At first quick glance, looks good to me. How many classes do you have and therefore how easy will it be for you all to use?

Look forward to seeing anymore that you complete and will look at this one further tomorrow. (Sorry tired now and taken lots of antibiotics and painkillers for an infection on my knee. Sorry if what I have written doesn't make sense)

Nicky Sussex

This is how we are now working and it is so much easier for us as it means we can follow the children's interests whilst still ensuring coverage. In fact my planning is even more sparse than yours!

• 1 month later...

This looks really good - have you managed to attack all the areas of learning in this way? -I'm trying to get my head around a skills based curriculum and am a bit stuck at how to approach it so far -would be grat to see the other areas as well!

My only query is would any / all those experiences still be avialable at any time for a child to access, ie: model making in Term 1 Autumn and not have to wait until Spring Term?

In my experience (preschool) the childrens interests were often linked closely to their skills development, ie: if a child had an interest in building works (due to family home getting an extension), then their skills within 2D / 3D shapes, exploration of building materials and model making skills would be enhanced through their interest, whatever term it was. Or another example a child is fascinated with the patterns on a leaf, to be able to explore pattern making, prints etc within the art area at this time of interest.

Sorry if I appear to be against the positive unanimous consensus so far. To me, childrens all round development, their knowledge, skills and attitudes should be met through continuous provision, the teaching method/style fitting with their interests and planned enhancements to meet their holistic development of knowledge, skills and attitudes. I don't think the K,S,A components should be seperated in light of the EYFS ethos.

Peggy

Sorry if I appear to be against the positive unanimous consensus so far. To me, childrens all round development, their knowledge, skills and attitudes should be met through continuous provision, the teaching method/style fitting with their interests and planned enhancements to meet their holistic development of knowledge, skills and attitudes. I don't think the K,S,A components should be seperated in light of the EYFS ethos.

Peggy

I completely appreciate your point Peggy. Children can access any resources they wish at any point. The LTP is just to ensure that all areas have been 'taught' to every child. For instance when we had our painting focus we taught children how to hold the paintbrush, how to paint with different materials and objects, how to mix paint. I know that if this hadn't been a focus then many of my children would not have learnt these skills because that is not where their interests lie. But of course when a few chidlren showed an interest in junk modelling a bus the resources were there to help them follow this interest.

Having had this focus on painting I have seen it trickle through to their child initiated play. For instance the boys making the bus then decided to paint their bus and decided to use sponges to do this, somthing which I think they wouldn't have explored had we not had a pinting focus. Another group of children transfered these skills outside and began painting twigs.

Whilst a agree with you that the chidlren's interests and skills can and should be met through continous provision, having a different focus each half term ensures all children experience a wide range of skills and techniques.

Children can access any resources they wish at any point.. This was my only fear, I've heard the "Oh no, we are doing marbling this week" type comment when a child has shown interest in doing something else. (Not suggesting at all that this would be your response :o )

I wonder is half term too long a time period? If reduced to say 2/3 weeks then the 'skills' could be revisited (ie: done twice a year) to see how/if any progress in the skills have been made. Just thinking, 1/ Children do enjoy revisiting experiences and 2/ always great to 'evidence' progress. xD

I did like to links to other curriculum areas on your plans. I would assume also that this type of planning would also enable resource budgeting, time to stock up on 'less obvious' type of resources too.

Sounds like your children are responding well to the plans, and after all that's all that matters isn't it. :(:(

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)