Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Activities

Morning! I am in the middle of planning my weeks activities based on the topic of snow and ice. I wondered if anyone had any ideas on outside activities. We have a water tray outside and the children can freely use the bikes and bats and balls etc.

Has anyone got any other ideas of things they use on a regular basis? thank you

Morning! I am in the middle of planning my weeks activities based on the topic of snow and ice. I wondered if anyone had any ideas on outside activities. We have a water tray outside and the children can freely use the bikes and bats and balls etc.

Has anyone got any other ideas of things they use on a regular basis? thank you

Hi, do you have access to any magic snow, this is great on a tray with some plastic arctic animals. I also freeze blocks for ice, varying sizes and put those in my water tray.

Ice is slippery so I have differents pieces of large fabric, prompting some discussion on how they feel, are they warm etc.

I have a sorting tray fun of hot and cold items ( some just a picture).

I have a box of clothes, summer and winter which would we where.

We have an igloo tent(from ikea) which is great for role play outside.

Hope these are of use to you!!

Wash some dolls clothes and hang them out over night, see how they freeze. Put objects on the ground and see the shape left by the frost. Use magnifying glasses to look closely at the frost on leaves and cobwebs.

Wash some dolls clothes and hang them out over night, see how they freeze. Put objects on the ground and see the shape left by the frost. Use magnifying glasses to look closely at the frost on leaves and cobwebs.

I like the washing clothes idea..not done that yet :o

A book I have has pictures of children playing 'curling' with brushes and 'pucks'.

Hi, do you have access to any magic snow, this is great on a tray with some plastic arctic animals. I also freeze blocks for ice, varying sizes and put those in my water tray.

Ice is slippery so I have differents pieces of large fabric, prompting some discussion on how they feel, are they warm etc.

I have a sorting tray fun of hot and cold items ( some just a picture).

I have a box of clothes, summer and winter which would we where.

We have an igloo tent(from ikea) which is great for role play outside.

Hope these are of use to you!!

Ah thank you very much for these fantastic ideas, I have a reception class of 28 children, of mainly 4 yr olds. I like the idea of putting some winter clothes etc outside so they could dress wrap up and washing the clothes so they can see what happens to them after a frost. I'm just getting to grips with finding my way to search for ideas! there are some fab topics!

Thanks very much Lib

If you put a few pieces of black paper in the freezer over night you can catch snow flakes, frozen cobwebs and frost on it. Then when using the magnifiers there is a solid background. :o

What a fab idea with the black paper! I'm going to try that at home now!

what about the old tradition of paper cutting snowflakes? Fold your circle of paper in half then into three - remember that snowflakes have 6 points always. Then you just snip away at the folded edges and open out some lovely snowflakes which are all different and look lovely hanging as a mobile display. Shiny paper is good - or holographic, but white works just as well - if not better

Ice has become a favourite in our FSU the children leave nothing unturned in their search of the outside area to locate a piece of ice. We have taken to putting out buckets/containers of water every day to see if we have ice the next morning.

We made a picture with ice and leaves wednesday afternoon and we have been amazed that it was still ther friday afternoon, the children have taken pride in it and are very protective of it.

Our pre-school children were fascinated by some plastic gloves I filled with water and different food colourings and placed in freezer overnight to create frozen hands and fingers- they melt quickly but great fun whilst they're around...adding glitter and other textures to the water will add to the sensory experience, have fun! :o

bex