Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Worker System In Reception

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please please help....

We are a very new Reception team with 2 inexperienced teachers (one being myself) and 2 nursery nurses between 2 classes of 30 children. I just don't know how to work the key worker system. The only way i could see this working in Reception is to have 4 key worker groups in ability with 15 children in each group. Is this a way other people work their K W system?

Anyone's opinions and ideas will be much appreciated

Thank you

There have already been some discussions on these problems, if you look at the top left of the screen there's a lozenge shaped thing with the words 'search forum posts' if you put in Key Person you will find lost of posts to look through.

I'm sure another Reception teacher will be along in a minute, I'm Preschool and we've been using the Key Person system for many years, with no problems

hi - im the same i am the keyperson for all of my 30 children too. After reading other posts in this issue I think I would be right in saying its the same for many Reception teachers.

Squaring the legal requirements of teacher's pay and conditions with the legal requirements of the EYFS is a constant balancing act of uncertainties. Ultimately while ratios are so daft in YrR I would always say that bottom line the Teacher is the key person (and note that EYFS says Key person not Key worker which is slightly different). Theoretically a key person is someone that has a particular relationship with the child/ren - so maybe in R a particular meal supervisor could be a key person during lunch time, Equally for managing children with challenging behaviour is it the same person who deals with it each time rather than lots of different people.

Cx

I was the key worker for all 30 but was finding it impossible to track all 30 children.

Also, do you do your teaching full class or in ability groups and share groups with Nursery Nurse/TA?

Hi I teach reception and I have a fulltime teaching assistant. We have a rota for hearing/ sharing books with children (6 per day) therefore we both hear the children read once a week (each child is heard twice) We don't have a set time for this but over the course of the day we fit it in and it works.

We go through key words at this time too.

I am the key person therefore responsibility for all the learning journeys and profiles however all the teaching assistants and other teachers make post it and incidental observations on all the children in shared areas in theory :o (there are 2 classes and we we share a base and outdoor area)

Was I the only one wading through and updating learning journeys during the holiday?

Sharon

Ginamaria08 I usually do an input introduction and then depending upon the activity or intended learning the children are in ability groups or more social grouping just for practical reasons, either myself or the teaching assistant work with these groups on adult focussed activities. There are time when she does the activities and I play and support learning in the areas of the classroom indoors and out.

Sharon

I was the key worker for all 30 but am finding it impossible to track all 30 children. When Ofsted came in, this was one of our downfalls, Nursery was fine as they had 3 key workers for 24 children so Ofsted found their tracking system as good.

Also, do you do your teaching full class or in ability groups and share groups with Nursery Nurse? We have been told in our school that this is the way things are going in Reception that Nursery nurses are doing the same job as teachers in class now as in Nursery.

Firstly not all reception teachers are fortunate enough to have a nursery nurse so they are solely responsible for 30 children (EYFS didn't see the need to change the ratios so heads aren't going to especially if budgets are tight) so you need to find a tracking system that is manageable for you.

I do short whole class input for phonics and numeracy and we may compose stories together as a whole class or circle time etc but mostly I work with groups but I rarely organise my groups by ability preferring mixed groups.

Sharon, that's how I work, though I do the reading with the older group.

Somehow I managed to put all their learning journeys up to date so they could take them home during the holidays, so I was free all Christmas. Apart from planning of course which I didn't do an awful lot of :o

jackie.

Same here. I'm the reception teacher in a one form entry school with an intake this year of 29, TA all day on tuesday and wednesday and all other days mornings only (thanks partly to 2 statmented children) so i'm the key person for tem all. Unless the EYFS changes it's ratios this situation willonly worsen next year when the statementing funding goes with the children!!!

Drew

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)