Guest MaryEMac Posted January 9, 2009 Posted January 9, 2009 Just thought that I would ask your opinions on something that came up at playgroup this week. Our chairman asked to meet with all the staff at the end of the session. Apparently it had been noted that unlike a playgroup in a nearby village, we didn't routinely make something creative to go home at the end of the session. She virtually said that if we didn't make more of an effort then we would lose children because the parents wanted them to bring something home. We all tried to explain about the EYFS and child initiated planning and that it was unfair to take a child away from an activity of their choosing just to make /create something. We also asked if the parents wanted perfect examples which the staff had probably made because the children were quite happy reliving together what they had done with our music teacher. In the end we said that the means to make something ceative would (as usual) be out for the children to access if they wished. Then we did a big order from ESPO cos if they wanted the children to do more creative then we had better get a good supply of stuff. After this meeting I went home and wrote a lengthy newsletter detailing what the children would be doing over the next term(unless the children took it in a different direction), and that the childrens art and craft work would be displayed around the room if they cared to come and have a look or they could volunteer to help with an activity. I then gave said newsletter to the secretary to write up and give out. Sorry for the lengthy post and I hope it made sense. What do you all think? Mary
emmajess Posted January 9, 2009 Posted January 9, 2009 Could you take photos and print them out each session instead to show what else the children have been doing? (Not all the children each day, but on a rota or something.) This way the parents would still have something lovely to look at and be proud of and they'd be useful for your learning journeys, too.
Guest MaryEMac Posted January 9, 2009 Posted January 9, 2009 We do take photos Emmajess and we put them on the noticeboard at the end of the session, but when we send the children out we ask what they thought of the photos, they say'what photos?' These pictures and a lot of their work is kept for their learning journeys. We also take photos of individual work and send home in the comment book for the parents to see and comment on. Quite a lot of the time they do neither Mary
Guest Posted January 9, 2009 Posted January 9, 2009 I'm thinking of getting a digital photo frame to keep in reception, hopefully because it is a novelty parents will look and then continue to do in the future...........well I can dream!!
Cait Posted January 9, 2009 Posted January 9, 2009 You could always put that poem 'what did you do at preschool today' on your newsletter/noticeboard
Guest Posted January 9, 2009 Posted January 9, 2009 I can't believe that parents would take their children away because they weren't getting enough stuff to take home!!!!! To be honest, if they did I mght say good riddance, but poor child! What planet is your chair person from? As previous folks have said if they paint, draw, glue, crea....... well terrific and yes its lovely to send stuff home but sometimes they just choose to do other stuff...... like play in the snow, or the water or the sand or with the cars, etc etc.... Good grief! Sometimes I think people invent problems to have something to moan about!!!
Cait Posted January 9, 2009 Posted January 9, 2009 I always tell new parents up front that children won't be taking much home, and explain why. I also tell them that some things will be kept in their child's file and they are welcome to look through their child's file at any time
Deb Posted January 9, 2009 Posted January 9, 2009 Could you hold a parent workshop to explain about the creative process children go through and remind parents about the children's evidence folders?
trekker Posted January 10, 2009 Posted January 10, 2009 I can't believe that parents would take their children away because they weren't getting enough stuff to take home!!!!! To be honest, if they did I mght say good riddance, but poor child! What planet is your chair person from? As previous folks have said if they paint, draw, glue, crea....... well terrific and yes its lovely to send stuff home but sometimes they just choose to do other stuff...... like play in the snow, or the water or the sand or with the cars, etc etc.... Good grief! Sometimes I think people invent problems to have something to moan about!!! Had a little chuckle at this...there are always some 'chairpeople' who do sometimes try to 'dictate' what they think we should do and think maybe its something we've overlooked... Having to explain why there is no topic being followed and why we cant / dont have a 'proper plan' of activities we are going to do is really frustrating....and even then when christmas, easter or whatever comes around theres the "when will you be 'doing Christmas' or when will the children be making cards" type comments. Stand firm...explain why its not appropriate...show them the eyfs guidance...perhaps suggest the chair prepares some materials for the children to use and then comes in and observes ... they can see then how much more is going on ...preschool is not just about making stuff!
hali Posted January 10, 2009 Posted January 10, 2009 i agree with treker - stick to your guns and send a letter home explaining/ do a workshop etc if you feel thats appropriate
Andreamay Posted January 10, 2009 Posted January 10, 2009 yes it has been commented to me that her child doesnt take things home like her elder child who came to us! I do find myself saying we had better plan an activity with an end product still!!! however we no longer insist all the children do one Andrea
Bliss Posted January 10, 2009 Posted January 10, 2009 Hi! Have you seen the article, Fluffy Duck Syndrome? I think I found it a long time ago on a thread here somewhere - it gets the point over really well! Also, we thought about getting a digital picture frame, but whilst "saving up" for one, we use the slideshow facility on a computer laptop - my own or colleague's personal one from home. Stick to your guns - you are right! Best of luck!!
Guest Posted January 10, 2009 Posted January 10, 2009 Hi there Yes, I agree, stick to your guns. Show them the Fluffy Duck sheet and the what did you do at pre-school articles. Also, give them the appropriate quotes from the EYFS documents. Stand firm, knowing that you are in the right. We bought a digital photo frame and set it up every day. To be honest, very few parents look at it. We like it though! Lesley
Guest Posted January 16, 2009 Posted January 16, 2009 Don't know if this suggestion is of any use and I work in Nursery, so slightly different. I started "Friday Time" last September and his has been very successful. Each week, the parents come in 20 minutes earlier and each key worker tells the parents in their group what activities the children have been doing in the week. It's going really well and nearly all the parents come back that little bit earlier. We also recall funny things during the week and give out notices for the week after etc.etc. Very good P.R. as they see how relaxed the children are in your company. We serve tea and biscuits so that children enjoy it and sit quietly eating whilst we are talking!! I've found this bridges that gap between having to take homesomething to prvoe what you've been doing and compronising your own good practise- which I don't think you should do btw. Good luck.
HappyMaz Posted January 16, 2009 Posted January 16, 2009 I started "Friday Time" last September and his has been very successful. I love this idea, mozart! What has the uptake been? Do all parents attend every week or just every so often? Maz
Guest Posted January 16, 2009 Posted January 16, 2009 Hi there Mozart Yes, I also love the idea. Think I will try it. Thanks for letting us know about it. I remember we used to do it at a setting I worked at years ago - much smaller numbers, but I am sure it can be worked out. As our children don't all attend every day, I think I will have to do a Friday time one week and a Thursday another week, and so on! Lesley
Recommended Posts