Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Packed Lunches

does anyone know where to find a leaflet to give to parents regarding a healthy packed lunch or has anyone drawn up some guidelines? I would like to say something about food being healthy and also about food hygiene with regard to preparation and keeping food in date without sounding too patronizing. Just been updating my risk assessments regarding food hygiene - we can't really do much about lunches prepared by parents can we?

have so much to do at the moment does everyone else? sometimes it gets too much - thought I'd be able to do something over Christmas but too busy with shopping, food and family! Feel down in the dumps about all this paperwork! What a misery!!

Would appreciate any help but know that you are all really busy too.

at the top right there is a lozenge shaped thing that says 'search forum posts' click on that, and then put in 'packed lunches' in the first box, then just press 'return' on your keyboard. after a second or two you'll get a list of all the times it's been mentioned in a chat thread. have a go

does anyone know where to find a leaflet to give to parents regarding a healthy packed lunch or has anyone drawn up some guidelines? I would like to say something about food being healthy and also about food hygiene with regard to preparation and keeping food in date without sounding too patronizing. Just been updating my risk assessments regarding food hygiene - we can't really do much about lunches prepared by parents can we?

have so much to do at the moment does everyone else? sometimes it gets too much - thought I'd be able to do something over Christmas but too busy with shopping, food and family! Feel down in the dumps about all this paperwork! What a misery!!

Hi Quackers,

Don't be too hard on yourself we all go through similar feelings and it is so difficult juggling home, school and everything else. Having been back in school 2 days and not done any work over the holidays my family last night made the comment "We never see you when we go back to school do we mum" and we even came home at 4.15 on Monday as it was the first day back!!!! If anyone has any user friendly ideas on how to manage everything please let us know.

On the packed lunch thoughts have you tried the school food trust or your local healthy schools team might have some useful/ parent friendly info.

Hope you feel a bit more in control soon. Take care and tackle one thing at a time

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Here's our info given to parents about packed lunches.

From a fellow forum member overworked and underpaid!

In line with government guidelines we aim to encourage children to

· eat healthily

· to have good manners

· and to share the social event with friends.

<H1 style="mso-pagination: none">Snack time</H1><H1 style="mso-pagination: none"> </H1>· Water to drink is freely available throughout each session

· Halfway through the morning children wash hands and come together for a snack

· We provide milk and water for the children to drink

· Drinks are in jugs and children pour their own

· The daily helper takes round a plate of food for the children to take

· Children are encouraged to try everything on offer, including food offered by other nationalities

· Once a week this will be something the children have helped to cook

· Allergies and food intolerances are clearly displayed and new staff made aware

· All dietary needs will be catered for whether medical, cultural or personal choice

<H1 style="mso-pagination: none">Typically, 2 or 3 of the following will be offered from different lists</H1><H1 style="mso-pagination: none"> </H1><H1 style="mso-pagination: none">FRUIT/VEGETABLES</H1>

Apples Satsumas

Bananas Grapes

Strawberries Melon

Raisins Dried apricots

Carrot sticks Cucumber

Pepper Tomatoes

Celery

<H1 style="mso-pagination: none">BREAD/BISCUITS</H1>

Toast Sandwich

Bread roll Cracker

Bread stick Rice cake

Pitta Naan

Croissant Brioche

Malt loaf Tortilla

<H1 style="mso-pagination: none">OTHER </H1><H1 style="mso-pagination: none"> </H1>Dip Cheese Cheese spread Marmite

Honey Hummus Jam

<H1 style="mso-pagination: none">Lunch Club</H1>

Lunch club is available, subject to demand, during school term times. Currently, this is daily from 11.50 am to 1.05 pm. During the autumn term we can pick up children from the Reception class when they come out of school at 11.55 am. The cost is £3.00 a session for a regular commitment and £3.20 on an ad hoc basis, if spaces are available. We have 16 places available daily (fewer if under 3s attending). Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.

* Children wash their hands before eating

* Staff sit with children while they eat

* Children are expected to eat their sandwiches first and to have a drink

* NO peanuts or nut products are allowed in case of nut allergies

* No glass bottles or fizzy drinks are allowed

* Please include an ice pack as we cannot refrigerate lunch boxes

* Children are expected to sit at the table until they have finished eating and can then play until it is time to tidy

We feel parents know their own children best so do not stipulate what should/not be provided. The following are guidelines only, based on our experience, which you may find helpful:

* Most children eat only a small amount and can be daunted by a lunch box full of food

* Don’t feel guilty if your child prefers white bread, latest guidelines suggest that children benefit from different kinds of bread

* A few tasty things nicely presented go down best, ie, individually wrapped/boxed

* We suggest the following makes a balanced and tempting lunch box:-

A sandwich, (one slice of bread is often enough) a roll or similar

A few crisps (in a pot, not a whole bag) or other savoury treat

Cut up fruit or vegetable sticks

A yoghurt or similar

A treat such as a mini muffin or fun size chocolate biscuit

A drink

Nutritional Guidelines for the under 5s (www.thpc.scot.nhs.uk/wordfiles/under5s.pdf) might be of use to if you end up making your own booklet. It is attractive and very informative, with a section specifically about packed lunches - giving useful ideas on balanced, healthy contents, hygiene and safety tips (including storing them safely when in the setting).

Fingertips

One more to add! to my previous post. Just searched through my archives and this booklet is very good too. I found it on www.stirling.gov.uk/nursery_guide-3.pdfund some time ago for my own risk assessment (hope it's still there!).

Fingertips

Hi Quackers,

You can download a good packed lunch policy from this website: http://www.schoolfoodtrust.org.uk/content.asp?ContentId=509. Its for a school but if you are are in a different setting you could adapt it. After reading your post, I thoughta policy would be a forward step for us - so now I'm on the same task! Have a lovely day.

Fingertips

Ofsted really loved this! We have it displayed too.

This looks like something I've seen on Primary Plan... did you make this yourself, lawchaz? Impressive, if so! :o

Maz

• 3 months later...

just came on forum after lots of weeks to see all these answers - sorry that I didn't say thank you but THANK YOU EVERYONE! What a dingbat I am for not hanging around to see replies but if there is anyone out there thankyou!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)