Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Assembly

hi,

just need a bit of help i am doing an assembly next tuesday and i have told my head that it will be a class assembly! any one got any simple and quick ideas for one. i am a reception teacher with 22 children. we are currentkly learning about traditional tales and nursery rhymes so thought we could maybe go along those lines- but then didnt know if rest of scholl would be intersdted?

wgat do people do assemblies on now-a-days?

help please

What style do the assemblies in your school usually take?

I would approach this along the lines of, we have been learning about x, y , z. and show and tell about those things and incorporate all the work you have been doing in the classroom.

Good luck.

We perform out assembly to the older ones too and they always love it.

My format is: This is our work and we show paintings and ICT pictures etc. We sing songs relating to the topic including actions, we also do some role play - children acting out the story of the gingerbread man or the 3 bears. I aim for about 20 minutes and that is fine.

I also have children saying little parts but in pairs or small groups.

Good luck

We perform out assembly to the older ones too and they always love it.

My format is: This is our work and we show paintings and ICT pictures etc. We sing songs relating to the topic including actions, we also do some role play - children acting out the story of the gingerbread man or the 3 bears. I aim for about 20 minutes and that is fine.

I also have children saying little parts but in pairs or small groups.

Good luck

thankyou for your replies!

our school dont have a format as classes dont take assemblies only the head does so that is y we have no format.

love the ideas thnkyou

Could you make up your own 'traditional tale' yeah i appreciate that's an oxymoron, but you know what i mean. A bit like story book where there are all the nursery rhyme characters, each peach pear plum, and ask children which is their favourite rhyme or story and try to make up a tale involving the characters

hi,

just need a bit of help i am doing an assembly next tuesday and i have told my head that it will be a class assembly! any one got any simple and quick ideas for one. i am a reception teacher with 22 children. we are currentkly learning about traditional tales and nursery rhymes so thought we could maybe go along those lines- but then didnt know if rest of scholl would be intersdted?

wgat do people do assemblies on now-a-days?

help please

Hi there!

If you consider Aesop's Fables to be suitable as a traditional story, perhaps you could read the Hare and the Tortoise for your Early Years assembly. To bring he narrative alive, children could make masks of the hare, tortoise and other woodland creatures and act out the story as you tell it or, perhps they could enhance your story-telling with soft toys as puppets. I think this will hold the attention of the whole school.

The story lends itself well to give positive messages to the children about 'perseverance' - to show that it is important to always do our best and that continued effort brings its rewards (moral). You could begin by speaking about how some people find things difficult whereas others find them easy (all children will have experienced this) and remind them, that although it is natural to want to give up or pretend we don't care - it is important to keep trying hard. You could then speak about people who boast and want to be first and win at all costs.

You could throw out a few questions such as What were the main differences between Hare and Tortoise? What can we learn from the story? And perhaps leave them with the well known phrase "If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again!"

If you do collective worship the following prayer would be good for a time of reflection:

Dear God,

Please be with us in times of weakness.

Give us the strength to overcome our difficulties.

Teach us to keep going when things are hard for us.

Help us not to take our gifts and talents for granted.

Amen.

I got all this from an assemblies website some time ago (can't remember which one because I typed up my own assembly plan from it). I researched suitable music and found that The Moody Blues had a song called The Tortoise and the Hare - the lyrics tell the whole story whilst the Yellowjackets have an instrumental of the same title (live somewhere on youtube!) - you could download and let the children listen to the music.

There is also a very nice poem by Rose G rose (Google Hare and Tortoise Rhyme) and she's up first but there's others.

The children in your class could paint pictures to represent the story - which they could show and talk about their favourite parts of the story.

Just an idea - it worked for me! I hope your assembly (whatever you decide to do) goes well.

Good luck!

Fingertips

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)