Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Tax Credits Rebate Available

Hi all

I was informed by a colleague of mine that there is a child tax credit rebate available. Apparently there was a grant available the year before they brought out the current tax credits and it wasnt very well publicised.

For those people who have children born between 6th April 2002 and 5th April 2003, this grant is still available. Some people may already have received this as their tax code was adjusted to allow for it in that year, but if you cannot remember, u can still apply and they will check it for you.

Going by the website the grant could be between £529 and £1040.

Its costs £94 plus VAT which is their charge for admin and processing. According to my colleague they only charge this if you are successful in obtaining the money. I cannot find out for sure or maybe I am reading it wrong.

You have until 31st January to apply.

The website is www.taxcredits.org.uk

I have just clicked on the warm fronts grant windows on the website and it says that it is for help for parents with children born between 1986 and 2003

ITS A SCAM!!!!!!

Look at all the spelling mistakes - if it's the same site i looked at in october!

DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!!!!! If it was real it wouldn't cost you ANYTHING!!!!!!

ITS A SCAM!!!!!!

I don't know whether I'd go so far as saying its a scam Cait, but it does look as though someone has been quite clever here! You can download a form which you sign to appoint an organisation called the Entitlements Agency to act as an agent on your behalf to negotiate a refund for you from the Inland Revenue. I haven't spent a long time looking at it, but I would strongly advise anyone to ring HM Customs and Revenue or your local Job Centre direct and ask them if there is a rebate available and whether you qualify for it.

They'll either tell you its a scam or they'll confirm its true and send you the paperwork you need. Either way you'll have saved yourself ninety quid!

Maz

you dont pay out the money they keep it from what they owe you! - thats how i read it - further investigation needed

That's how I read it too - but I'm sure talking to the Inland Revenue is something you could do for yourself hali! And think of how much red wine £90- would buy! xD

Edited the typo! :o

Edited by HappyMaz

That's how I read it too - but I'm sure talking to the Inland Revenue is something you could do for yourself hali!

.. hope your not saying im incapable of talking M xD

I don't believe I was, hali! I think you're putting words in my mouth! :o

Have just read all the replies and thankfully I didnt act that quickly!!!

Will certainly be mentioning it to the girl in work and directing her to that BBC news page, although I think she has already posted her form off. Many thanks to all of you for making me think about investigating it further!!

I looked at the website and automatically assumed it was an official government one. Will now try the government website first.

I guenuinly thought it was information worth passing on, as I'm sure in todays climate, like myself, other people would be glad of a few extra pounds!!

Apologies to everyone.

Well absolutely!

I found it a couple of months ago, and was put off by the spelling mistakes on his website, even though it looks very official. I printed it off and my husband took it to show the borough solicitor where he works (he works for borough council) and HE said it's a rip off, it's a total scam. They are going to take your £94 and your national insurance number and bank details and all kinds of things

Apologies to everyone.

No need to apologise, mummyspud! That's what is so fantastic about this Forum: everyone has something to share!

And actually the information was worth passing on: the fact that this company has set itself up to recruit claimants just shows that the Revenue haven't exactly been falling over themselves to publicise it. Thanks to your post, we know about it!

Maz

I printed it off and my husband took it to show the borough solicitor where he works (he works for borough council) and HE said it's a rip off, it's a total scam. They are going to take your £94 and your national insurance number and bank details and all kinds of things

To be fair, so could any accountant or financial adviser who is authorised to act on their client's behalf in respect of their tax affairs. This guy does seem to be a pukka business, registered with the relevant agencies - Information Commissioner being one of them, so the data is legally held.

Although it isn't a scam in the generally accepted sense of the word, I do think he has gone out of his way to make his company and website look 'official' and it may be that people are persuaded to use his services by this fact. However he makes it very clear what his charges are and what he will do for the money, should the claim be successful - and in 75% of the cases they aren't!

Another case of someone spotting an opportunity and exploiting it. :o

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably worth pointing out, though, that the child tax credit deadline for 2002/2003 IS genuine - so anyone who meets the criteria should contact their tax office and complete an application before the end of this month.

i.e. NOW!!

You can download the form from the HMRC website...it is an 11ctc form

...may as well give it a try...it doesn't look as though it is means tested but I am unsure I just filled it out and sent it off and keeping everything crossed - anything would be nice - but it's not very often we get nice surprises like this is it so don't hold your breath, I know others who have paid the amount required on the other site - !! :o