Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thank You Thank You Thank You

Really glad to hear you're out of the woods Peggy. I once spent new year in hospital, not a barrel of laughs is it?

Didnt you mention once about writing a book? I must do a search! Now could be the opportunity you need to start.

Take great care and keep taking the tablets :oxD

Wow, Peggy, what a dramatic few weeks you've had but I'm so happy you are now on the mend. I was going to send you a big hug but maybe just a gentle one (((X))) for the time being eh? I'm really impressed that you can do mobile internet in the hospital - that will definitely help relieve the boredom! Isn't technology great?!

God bless xxx

Oh Peggy........I'm your Pancreatitis buddy...........

Narnia you've exhausted me just reading your post. xD But I'm sure its good for Peggy to know someone who has been through it and has come out the other side. I laughed at all your 'dreams' and 'visions' though: some people pay lots of money to pay for drugs to achieve that sort of experience but you got it free on the good old NHS! :o

Hope you're getting stronger each day Peggy!

Maz

Hi Peggy,

So pleased to hear that you are on the mend, you bring so much to this forum and we missed you lots. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that the road to recovery gives you the time and space to adjust to your new tablets, diet etc and that you continue to get stronger every day.

Love and prayers

Nicky Sussex :oxD

THANK YOU to my Hubby, Dave for getting past his forum phobia and letting Steve know how I've been doing.

THANK YOU Steve for keeping everyone informed about my illness.

THANK YOU to all you wonderful people for your get well messages, which have bought a happy tear to my eye. :(

To update you all, I'm still in hospital, Hubby bought me a new laptop for xmas and tonight he got me a doogle (I think that's what its' called) so that I could have mobile internet access.

I became ill on Sun 28th at 5:30am, abdominal pains, long story short we got an ambulance at 9:30am, lady was quite rude saying I most probably just had a tummy bug. :wacko: Dave couldn't take me to hospital because of the children.

Anyway, taken to Hospital 30 mins from home (not my local one). The pain was excrutiating. Evetually scans were done and Pancreanitis diagnosed, we don't yet know the cause.

Most common causes are gall stones or alcohol abuse. Now I know I like a drink but I am not in that category, no gall stones found so the trigger for what then transpired into a severe acute attack is still unknown. Food and drink was stopped, so in effect the swollen Pancreas would then 'eat' itself, reducing the inflamation. The doctors were very straightforward telling me that no operation was available and it was just a matter of waiting to see if the inflammation would reduce on its own, all they could do was monitor me to check that other neaby organs (Liver, gall bladder, kidneys) were not affected by the acute infection. They actually said I could be dead in days, a very, very scary diagnosis.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but having this diagnosis is life changing in terms of how I responded. On reflection I did really fight for survival. By weds (I think- days blurr together when on morphine) the consultant was considering sending me to intensive care, there was no room, nor the next day. Then I gradually responded to the antibiotics, the lack of food water helped the pancreas to 'rest' and by Friday/Saturday was able to drink.

I've found it hard doing 'nothing' now I'm feeling a bit better. The doctors are waiting for my temperature to go down, it's still averaging 38/39, which shows infection is still 'active'. Also it was explained to me today that in some cases, not all, on the 10th-14th day after initial inflamation, secondary infections can hit, they would rather I was here than at home if that was to happen, So I'm still in untill Friday at best.

I am sure now that I have the forum access, although I will take it a step at a time, 30 minute sessions, then I will recover even quicker.

I still need to find out how to maintain my health once home, this is difficult not knowing what the trigger was, on the night of the attack I had eaten cold turkey, with mayoinaisse, and over the evening 4 glasses of chilled wine. The consultant says he would NEVER drink chilled wine (not sure why), that mayonaisse is a common irritant to the gall bladder and the combination of these could possibly have been the cause. :oxD

I do know that if I drink as much as a thimble full of alcohol it could kill me, so I will be everybodies friend next year, invited to all the best parties as the teetotal driver. :(

If anyone else has had experience of this condition or knows someone that has any tips for ensuring a non re-occurance would be appreciatted, PM me if you prefer.

Well I'm off to bed now, once they've re-done my I.V. drip, my new nickname at present is Pin cushion Peggy. :(

Night night everyone, thanks for being there for me, it really was and is appreciatted.

Peggy

Hi Peggy! I'm very new to the forum and can see from all the above messages how well respected and thought of you are by this amazing on-line community. Sorry to be introducing myself in such dificult circumstances - but wanted to add my very best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Take care of yourself - nows the time to look after number one!

Best wishes

Fingertips

My Dad had this, a couple of years ago. He was rather poorly and in a high dependancy unit for several days. I hadn't really appreciated how poorly, until reading this thread, but that may have been partly due to my Mum insisting that Dad was OK, and just having a bit of lie-down type response, no need for us all to go rushing over (not that that stopped us) I guess it was just her way of coping/protecting us.

Dad made a good recovery and has not had any reoccurance of the problem.

Hope you've had a good day today, Peggy.

Hi Peggy

I was so sad to hear you've been so poorly - I'm glad your beginning to feel a little better - take it slowly and don't rush anything! Now would be a good time to tell you what an inspiration and an enormous help you have been to me in the past year that I have been a forum member. You always have such good ideas and words of wisdom - and now you've been an inspiration again with the way you've dealt with this illness.

Take lots and lots of care of yourself and try to rest well. I'm thinking of you and you're in my prayers.

Sending big (gentle!) hugs

love Emmaxx

Wow Peggy, Sorry to hear what you have been through

Yes , when something of this nature happens to you

its a reminder of what really is important in life

Wishing you a speedy recovery Rosina

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

I have only just seen this now - you don't do things by halves do you? So pleased to hear you are slowly on the mend after such a scary experience - don't try to rush things, try to be a patient patient and make the most of the opportunity to rest, so that you can get yourself home ASAP xx

I have told Peggy that with this illness, REST is really important and it truly is! So, feet up dear and let everyone else run around for you for a while.i was very determined that I was going to go out and 'do' things when i got home, so insisted that hubby took me shopping.Result???? I was a sobbing mess in the middle of the first shop, as I came close to collapsing...................now Peggy, you DON@T want to be doing that, do you??Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to bed you go..... :o

Guest MaryEMac

How lovely to hear from you Peggy.It's good to hear that you are on the mend. Please take it easy and don't try to do too much too soon. I am sending good wishes to your family as it must have been so hard for them.

God bless, Mary