Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Psrn Parents Info Eve- Help!

Guest kelh81

Guest kelh81

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a panic! We have to do a whole school information evening next week for parents about the 4 rules of number. The Nursery teacher is talking about addition & subtraction in FS while I've been given Multiplication & Division. Has anyone done anything like this before and, if so, what kind of things did you include? FS coordinator will do an intro but then it's up to us to do the rest... what that is I'm not entirely sure yet!

All help will be gratefully received :o

Hi kelh81

I can't help at all I'm afraid - am in pre-school! However I can warmly welcome you to the Forum and assure you there will be lots of advice on offer in a while, I'm sure!

Make yourself at home!

Maz

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a panic! We have to do a whole school information evening next week for parents about the 4 rules of number. The Nursery teacher is talking about addition & subtraction in FS while I've been given Multiplication & Division. Has anyone done anything like this before and, if so, what kind of things did you include? FS coordinator will do an intro but then it's up to us to do the rest... what that is I'm not entirely sure yet!

All help will be gratefully received :o

Hi kelha81,

Wow, what a task - no wonder you're panicking! Try looking at http://www.gucs.org.uk/downloads/FourRulesofMaths.pps#1 Four Rules of Maths in 7 stages which takes you through addition, subtraction, division and multiplication concepts for Reception (stage one) to Year 6 (stage seven) - which you could discuss one by one. It's presented in an attractive power point slide show and appears to link well with the EYFS - I hope you find it helpful. At least it will give you some sort of platform to build on.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Fingertips

Hi, this is my first ever reply to a post!!! sorry if it's no help!

I just did a quick internet search and the nationalstrategies page came up with some info on simple misconceptions children make with multiplication/division and what can be done to correct them. e.g. it mentions how a child finds it hard to count in twos' and struggles to see that a pair is made up of two objects so the teacher shows the child how to count pairs using visual images of socks, eyes, ears eyc to help his understanding. I don't know if this is of any help but if the evening is to inform the parents I thought it would be helpful to give a little bit of info on how they can teach/ or support their learning of it at home??

I always find it useful to quote from a national document- you could give a little simple handout?

Hope it goes ok!

Guest Wolfie

Is it about Multiplication and Division in Nursery? How about something very simple like showing how you use daily routines to show the basic idea of division in practice - sharing out snack, plates, cups etc. at snacktime for example? Or how the pile of shoes/wellies etc, gets bigger every time a child adds theirs to the group?

I think you've really got to keep it simple because that's the level at which these ideas are explored with this age group.

Guest kelh81
Hi kelha81,

Wow, what a task - no wonder you're panicking! Try looking at http://www.gucs.org.uk/downloads/FourRulesofMaths.pps#1 Four Rules of Maths in 7 stages which takes you through addition, subtraction, division and multiplication concepts for Reception (stage one) to Year 6 (stage seven) - which you could discuss one by one. It's presented in an attractive power point slide show and appears to link well with the EYFS - I hope you find it helpful. At least it will give you some sort of platform to build on.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Fingertips

Thank you I looked at this and it was really useful for the whole school :-)

Guest kelh81
Hi, this is my first ever reply to a post!!! sorry if it's no help!

I just did a quick internet search and the nationalstrategies page came up with some info on simple misconceptions children make with multiplication/division and what can be done to correct them. e.g. it mentions how a child finds it hard to count in twos' and struggles to see that a pair is made up of two objects so the teacher shows the child how to count pairs using visual images of socks, eyes, ears eyc to help his understanding. I don't know if this is of any help but if the evening is to inform the parents I thought it would be helpful to give a little bit of info on how they can teach/ or support their learning of it at home??

I always find it useful to quote from a national document- you could give a little simple handout?

Hope it goes ok!

Hi, thanks for your response- I did a similar internet search but I couldn't seem to find the information you mentioned- if possible could you paste the link on here so i could go straight to it? Thanks again :o

Thank you I looked at this and it was really useful for the whole school :-)

Glad to be of help! I know you are running out of time now, but 'Mathematics in Nursery Education (2nd Edition) by Anne Montague-Smith' (David Fulton Publishers) might also be of use to you as it give some very comprehensive 'concept maps' together with information about the development of counting /number skills from birth to four as well as key experiences you could offer in a setting - and don't forget to include the importance of allowing free maths graphics to take place for recording and making meaning - you could quote from Peter Williams' recent review of primary maths here - he has recommended more training materials on the subject as he believes there to be a big gap.

Looks like you're getting there - hope you get the praise and recognition you deserve for your dedication and out of work hours spent researching!

Fingertips

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this, the evening was a big success and all of the parents were suitably impressed at al the hard work e all do! :o

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this, the evening was a big success and all of the parents were suitably impressed at al the hard work e all do! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)