Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Rack Advice Please

Goodevening - wondered if anyone can help? We are a pack away group and currently have a wire book rack which folds flat for storage , unfortunately it has broken due to moving it in and out of our store each day . I wonder what others in a similar situation use as we dont want to resort to boxes of books as displaying them in some way does seem more inviting - thanks in advance Lizzy

We have book boxes now, which are just transparent storage boxes. We have 9 of these and put them out in rotation, 2 a week. They go on the floor and children enjoy flicking through to choose what to take home. The wooden book rack, which is a fold-in-half lock close on wheels thing is permanently open in the children's quiet book corner for children to access the books which are now a bit too 'sad' to go home, but still have plenty of life for 'unsupervised browsing'

we have a community playthings rack, which is on wheels and also has a couple of shelves at the back......useful for storing spare books.It has a space at the top for big books and loads of space for other books too.It was very good value for money and they delivered in 3 days.

we have a community playthings rack

I've got one of those on my wish list. But for now our book rack is extremely low tech: basically a fold-up pasting table which opens to reveal a horizontal 'shelf' made by a long thin piece of wooden batten. The books are held in place by a net curtain wire strung across each 'shelf'. A handle makes it all extremely portable and takes up little space in the cupboard! I'd upload a picture but they seem to have gone missing in my laptop 'move'. :o

Maz

Maz............what a clever solution to storage problems...............that sounds brilliant!.

It is quite clever: but I can't claim any credit for it at all - I think many PLA groups have done this over the years. Perhaps I'm just unusual for continuing to use it when so many more colourful and beautifully made resources are available!

we've got a book trolly on wheels from galt Im not impressed with it, we've only had it 18 months and the shelves are already bowing and the shelves are too short for many of the books, so check dimentions before you buy a book shelf/rack I didnt and now have a book shelf/trolly doesnt hold books bigger than A4

we also have a contraption similar to Maz's made of battens and net curtain wire its mounted to our stair guard so its the one thing we can leave out its over 15 years old and periodically we have had to replace the wire but it does the job and its isnt difficult to make one

before the book shelf/trolly we had books and a table and to be honest it did the job at a fraction of the cost

Ive tried to attach a photo of our old book corner "pre book trolly" post-75-1231160921_thumb.jpg

it shows the batten/net curtain book rack

Ive tried to attach a photo of our old book corner "pre book trolly"

it shows the batten/net curtain book rack

Very clever Alison - I can see from the photo that it also acted as a barrier to prevent children getting up on the stage too! I love resources that multi-task... :o

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

we've got a book trolly on wheels from galt Im not impressed with it,

our one at the back has shelves which fit small storage boxes - very useful :o

Yours isn't from Galt is it hali? xD

Thank you everyone - think I will have to have a try at making one -the pictures are great and have really helped me out - smashing _Diz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)