Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Mathematical Graphics

Hello! It's great to read of interest in emergent writing in some of the discussions here!

Perhaps some people have begun to explore children's mathematical graphics (mathematical mark-making) in their setting or class? What's your experience?

Maybe you have some questions arising from our articles published on the website?

I had some children throwing 'snowballs' into a bucket before christmas and they got the pencils and clipboards and strted making a tally chart, which he showed at plenary. Fantastic. I showed it to a Mum and she just went 'oh' (Hmm)

Hi Cait, we do a maths workshop for parents to explain early maths and how parents can encourage their children in fun ways. It is very popular and opens parents eyes to how maths is used in everyday situations.

It's great to read of interest in emergent writing in some of the discussions here!

Perhaps some people have begun to explore children's mathematical graphics (mathematical mark-making) in their setting or class? What's your experience?

Maybe you have some questions arising from our articles published on the website?

I read the Carruthers & Worthington book last year and found it really interesting it certainly made me think about the value I placed on "mathematical mark making". I gave each child a jotter and found lots of children liked to write "their number" (usually their age so lots of 4s but sometimes house numbers) over and over. An example from this year was in our role play cafe two girls covered a page of the calendar with crosses which they told me was how many customers they had served

Our children were busy before Christmas with clip boards taking a register.Provided them with squared paper.One 'tick' mark in each square in response to each positive answer to 'Good morning XXX ...'. We always do a total in class for here/away/'we should have' so marks were made on their tallies.

Welcome to the Forum, Maulfry xD

Its great to have you (and your expertise! :o ) on the Forum and I will read this thread with interest. In the meantime, I shall print off your articles to read off-screen!

Maz

I read the Carruthers & Worthington book last year and found it really interesting it certainly made me think about the value I placed on "mathematical mark making". I gave each child a jotter and found lots of children liked to write "their number" (usually their age so lots of 4s but sometimes house numbers) over and over. An example from this year was in our role play cafe two girls covered a page of the calendar with crosses which they told me was how many customers they had served

Hi Marion and everyone - what lovely examples! Blank paper works like magic for children to explore their ideas - especially when they have adults who are as interested in their graphics as those of you here!

Thanks Maz for your welcome! Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

Hi Maulfry,

Many thanks for posting, and a warm welcome to the forum xD

What a good idea to ask for examples from our members! This could turn out to be a very long, extremely interesting thread :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)