Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teeth Cleaning!

my children clean their teeth after lunch daily and bring in new toothbrushes each term, does anyone have any tips on teeth cleaning within their nurseries? how does if work for you?

thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

In my reception class, we have a brush bus that holds their brushes (labelled) its a plastic bus was holes for 10 tooth brushes

I then call them over in groups and in the classroom sink they do their teeth.

Next term I'm going to get them to do it indepedently selecting their own brush and doing the paste themself.

we always brush children's teeth and provide brushes (cheap from wilkinsons) They all live in a test tube rack, names on each brush and names on the rack.

I wouldn't consider letting a child brush their own teeth till they were at least 8, without supervision.

We let the children brush their teeth in the queue whilst waiting for me to 'finish them off'

at present each child has a named beaker with their toothbrush in, i put the toothpaste on the brushes and while they brush we sing this is the way we clean out teeth....... all done sitting at their tables, at the moment they are just being rinsed and left in their beakers, which i feel isnt enough?

when i give out the beakers the next day they feel sticky and i just dont feel that they are clean?

im looking at doing away with the named cups, ( which they incidently just bang on the tables until they crack or split) and naming the toothbrushes instead.

i want to collect the toothbrushes in, rinse them and then put them into a jug with milton to sterilize them? do you think that by putting them altogher to do this that it would ok?

unfortunately we havent got the toothbrush bus that looks great, or anywhere to store the brushes, the children do have their own sinks also to be cleaning their teeth at?

ive just taken on this position as nursery teacher and didnt feel i could change too much at the time but now like to look at a different way of teeth cleaning?

thanks again

when i have finished off cleaning all the teeth i put the brushes all into the sink and give them a really good rinse individually under running water till they are clean - i have another toothbrush to help if some toothpaste is still in the bristles. then they air dry in the test tube rack i bought from ebay

Posts don't need to be 'bumped' up, as if someone hasn't read the thread or any new posts on it, it will come up on their individual new posts list.

Indeed - that's how I keep up! Just click on 'view new posts' and see what turns up. xD

Wasn't there a different thread about this recently - someone was querying whether it was necessary for children to brush their teeth during the day when they had been told by a hygienist that children should brush only twice a day? Or was I dreaming? :o

Yes, there was a thread, recently which I added my comment to.

I have receded gums due to overbrushing and my dentist told me I should not clean my teeth more than morning and evening. If I have anything that might damage my teeth, such as sweets, then to rinse with water.

I also read quite recently that overbrushing can damage the enamel on the teeth. It is best to wait 40 minutes after eating before cleaning your teeth.

I cant see why I would need to clean the children in my settings teeth as they only have healthy food, no sweets.

Iam not an expert though!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)