Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Just Don't Get It

SueFinanceManager

I found this on the web........ I'd say it makes it all as clear as mud.

I don't think the advert is meant to have a reason it just is. As I've said before I think it was an inspirational 3am stroky beard meeting !!

Hutchinson 3 "Jellyfish"

Mill Publicity

What happens when two Asian techno cowboys ride through a futuristic desert? They find a giant jellyfish, nestling between tree trunks… naturally. The first spot from Hutchinson 3's new campaign about sharing goes from the bizarre to the outright surreal as our two outlaws drag their jellyfish back to town, feed it an illegal-looking substance and gaze wondrously as it comes to life. Soon the cowboys and jellyfish are dancing in tandem, cutting some slick moves as they go.

The Mill helped Fredrik Bond achieve his wild vision by adding post-produced life to the model jellyfish, as designed by Hollywood model makers, Stan Winston, through dancing tentacles built in 3D. This entailed some serious jellyfish research from the 3D team, led by Jordi Bares, who meticulously studied their natural movement and texture. Jordi attended the shoot in LA to ensure that all 3D lighting exactly matched the shoot location's lighting conditions.

Once animated, the tentacles were meant to interact with the actors as they lit-up, so Fredrik shot various passes using differing light patterns. Jordi then used these light paths as positioning reference for the 3D tentacles, so that the light source on the actors and 3D elements remained constant. Flame was used to further enhance this lighting consistency. The Flame team was also responsible for fulfilling Fredrik's brief of a 'pseudo Asian neon city' by adding fluorescent elements to both exterior and interior shots.

Credits

Product: Hutchinson “3”

Title: Jellyfish

Agency: WCRS

Creatives: Lesley & Simon

Producer: James Lethem

Prod Co: MJZ

Director: Fredrik Bond

Producer: Helen KennyFacility

House: The Mill

Producers: Darren O'Kelly, Helen Weil, Stephen Venning (3D), Fi Kilroe

Telecine Artist: Adam Scott

Lead CG/FX advisor: Jordi Bares

CG Animators: Laurent Makowski, Dadi Einarsson , Vincent Baertsoen, Joshua Merck

Flame: Ben Turner, Gavin Wellsman, Ant Walsham

Flame Assists: David Parker & Pheng

It may have been a silly advert and one that nobody seems to 'get' but I think the advertising people have been very shrewd and extremely clever. It got us all talking about on here, people who hadn't seen the advert were determined to watch it and then try and discuss it's meaning. Most people who hadn't heard of 3 now know it's a mobile phone company. I'd say the advertisers have done a very good job.

mousebat

Sadly, for the reasoning, normal (Sue !!) intelligent people in the world, you are SO RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

OK off the soapbox. Yes, they're probably rubbing their hands right now... who's the mole here then??!!

Sue (Not me Guv turn the bright light off... whaddjamean Pleez ???? ********** too many expletives for nice ears?)

:o

On the thread of 'yobish behaviour', two friends of ours were in the local 'Spar' last Thursday night, when in ran two masked men (youths?) waving gums around and shouting for everyone to get on the floor. :o The one friend, 50 ish and not one to stand for nonesence and who had just been to the local chinese takeaway, said 'What? I'm not getting on the floor for anyone, my curry'll go cold, f**k off' and the other friend, 20 ish, mad as a hatter, said 'Well you can shoot me cos I'm suicidal anyway', Both masked men hesitated and then turned and fled. Not so brave in the face of such insanity!! xD

I had seen the jellyfish whilst i was back in the UK and didnt understand it. I put it down to my basic lack of understanding of some really important aspect of British culture that I had somehow missed. :o

sooo relieved that it wasnt just me.

:D

The whole point is there is nothing 'to get' with this advert - except it's got everyone talking about it which IS the point - therefore good advertising. Personally, I haven't wasted my time trying to 'get' it when there isn't anything to get. Jennyk you haven't missed anything where British culture is concerned!!!

Hi all

Can't believe I missed all your brilliant posts over the weekend, sorry xD

I have decided to award the first foundation stage forum order of merit for dedication in the face of a challenge to Mousebat for researching the stupid jellyfish advert and producing the advertisers spiel for us to read, graon at and then not understand. So three cheers for mousebat, hip hip horay etc :D:D:D

Great new avatar too, cat and mirror was good too, see how observant I am. :D

Rea, I think your mates so cool, scary though, it could have been really dangerous, but I admire their courage.

Sorry to hear some of you are poorly, that's why I missed your posts at the weekend, lurgy got me.

Now what annoying ad can I think of next to get us all thinking, no only joking I promise I won't :o

Sue

Back to yobs again-how I had forgotten about this I can't imagine!! I had been to have my hair cut during the holidays and needed to go to the chemist then the post office. As I was walking to the post office there was, as I thought, a couple of car alarms going off. I was feet from the post office door when two youths came out, all in black and with masks over their faces. The second one was carrying the most enormous sledge hammer I had ever seen!! The alarms were the get away car driver sounding his horn and the other was the post office alarm. They had tried to cave in the window inside the post office to no avail. But there were people in the shop and a shop assistant. Apparently the guy with the sledge hammer was getting very agitated so they gave him the money from the till-the safe had automatically locked!

As you can imagine it was somewhat nerve wracking!

Linda

Hi Sue.........please...it took 1 minute of research on google and then I just cut and pasted it. That's part of the British Culture to try and work out the meaning to something that has no real meaning and thus causing real angst as to why there is no meaning ! Plus I'm not helping the cause either by responding. AGHH!! That bee's flying around my bonnet again! :D:o

You want to watch those pesty bee Mousebat :(:(:( :wacko:

Similar thing happened to me last year Linda, driving home after work car in the road so had to stop outside our lovely quiet village P.O and out run 2 people dressed in black with crass helmets on holding a gun.........

Got in the car and sped off...i got thier number plate drove home shaking and called the police, giving them all the details. :o

Do you know the worst thing about it, i had long forgotton when about 5 months later had an inspecter on the phone wanting to interview me (as if i could remember anything then) xD

Considering I was born and bred in the 'gun crime capital' of the UK nothing particularly bad has happened to me or a member of my family. Oh yes ...apart from being molested on the metro in Paris !

Pesky metro, on a school trip when I was 13 a man on a very crowed metro was rubbing his hand up and down my thigh. :o A teacher heard me telling my friend when we got off and her reply? 'Oh, lucky you'. :( Councilling anyone???? xD

hi all, i`ve really enjoyed reading this thread.it`s nice to know that we all share the same views on so many things.

it is the old saying teaching a child respect, if they don`t have any for the adults ,their peers or the world around them , they can`t have any for themselves!oh and as my mum says manners don`t cost anything!

as for the jellyfish, i think the forum deserves a cut of the profit , as i had no idea that it was for a phone company after watching it loads of times. this thread has been a much better advertisement.

great to read all the chat,you guys make me laugh! maddy.

Just had to mention we had the same conversation at work today with regard to attitudes. We thought that perhaps we were out of step with the rest of the world but we decided we were not prepared to compromise or lower our standards. Glad to see there are still some like minded people about. Glad to be a member of this club.

I purchased some lovely new books for pre school this week. I chose one to read to the group yesterday, and left it on the book table, i turned back to get the book and a few of the children had taken it upon themselves to rip half the pages out in a moment of maddness! I had to call all of the children to the mat and show them my cross face!!! :( and then my sad face :( and explain how they had upset me because they had ruined my new book. A few of them said 'I didn't do it' :( but a couple just didn't care that I was upset! One little boy even said 'buy a new one then'!!! :oxD

Trea

I would have been really upset like you if that had happened to any book new or old. I feel books are so important and try to develop a respect for them at an early age. I get really cross when I see most of ours thrown on the floor, especially when the children have been with us for some time and we have talked about putting them back in the rack on a number of occasions.

Linda