Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Florist Shop

We are planning to make our role play area into a florist shop ( in 2 weeks time -our theme is growing and nature). I have allocated the job to my NVQ 2 student. I have suggested that the week starts with her involving the children in "creating" the layout, with signs etc. We will visit a local florists at the beginning of the week.

What I would like are any ideas of resource items that she can start collecting now ie: flower catalogues, tissue for wrapping bouquets etc.

my brain is tired and I'm not a "flower" person so can't inspire my student, here's hoping some of you can.

Peggy

ps. not too worried about maths focus ie: cost of flowers, money, tills etc.

The topic is more a KUW and PSE focus, different types of flowers, similarities and differences, properties of flowers / plants, why do we buy flowers, etc

I did a garden centre recently (nature and growth)

I made packets of seeds from envelopes and clipart labels, added a few watering cans, trowels, gardening gloves etc, different sized plant pots and even found some plastic garden gnomes.

We used old pop bottles, cut down (rough edges covered) to display artificial flowers, the children could sort them according to shape, colour size etc (we got these at a discounted rate from a local £1 type shop - if you don't ask you don't get!!!!)

We had garden magazines, seed catalogues etc for the children to read.

In the corner we had a "pile" of wheelbarrows for the children to "test drive" around the area, and a parent donated a play mower too!!!!

Hope you can get some ideas from this, my group loved it!!

Janet

We also did a garden centre, we used plastic plant pots and watering cans, trowels and spades. In the sand pit we put compost and the children had lots of fun digging and planting things. We also had some wellington boots and apron/ tabards which we adapted for the garden centre.

Hi Peggy

We did a garden center a while ago so here's a few of our ideas

Silk flowers, ask parents if they have old ones collecting dust that they don't want anymore.

Make flowers with pipe cleaners and tissue paper.

Make posters with pictures of flowers on them.

Make vases out of tubes (pringle tubes very good) and decorate them, you will need to weight them with playdough or something to stop them falling over.

Hope you have a 'blooming' great time xD:o:(

Sue

Top Tip :o ... if your putting compost in your sand tray, we found that using peat free is best (not only is it more environmentally friendly) but it doesn't dust up as much as normal compost!

We put different types of bulbs and seeds in the compost along with plastic insects and small logs and rocks. It was really interesting when these 'play' bulbs started to sprout (great for K&U)

Liza, that's what I really want to do with our sand tray next week, but I am working alongside people who continually put obstacles in the way of any new and exciting activities.

How did you get around the "Bulbs are poisonous!!!!" thing. I have suggested the don't eat them, wash your hands afterwards approach but I am being met with a grest big wall!!!!!

Any suggestions????

Janet

Hi,

Thanks for all your quick responses, please keep them coming, florist shop as well as garden centre.

Steve, the display picture of a florists " Flowers R Us" is inspirational, we do have to consider, when planning, that everything has to go away each session and display space is limited.

I shall show my student your responses, and encourage her to move the sand tray into the role play area for the next few weeks, can't wait to see the bulbs grow myself.

Any tips on which type of bulbs show quick results - told you I know NOTHING about flowers ( my garden at home is patioed all over).

Janet as for poisonous bulbs/plants, write a risk assessment, list all possible risks score their level of risk from 1 = o.k. to 5= not o.k. Then next to each high score identify ways to reduce the risk, re-score as a lower or no risk.

Written this way you can show that "problems" can be overcome with some thought and then everyone will be reassured and happy and at the same time your covering your backs.

Thanks again.

Peggy

Thanks for that, by putting it on paper they may listen at last!!

I planted hyacinths this week and according to our maintenance man they will flower by Christmas, we have also put some in those vases that allow the roots to grow down into the water so that the children can watch what happens.

Don't take my word for it though, Raymond (the maintenance man) is looking atfer the bulbs for me and Graham the chef maintains my herb wheels!!!!

Green fingers not me, how about rusty and brown!!!!

Janet

• 1 month later...

Have you tried dried peas in damp sand? It's surprisingl how quickly they will start to shoot! You can let the children play with it, of course, while you're waiting, although the shoots will probably get damaged if you don't 'notice' before the children do!!

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)