Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pastry

Chill

Help all you brilliant cooks.

I have been making pastry and mince pies for many many years with brill results. But the last year or two (and especially this year) the pastry has not 'worked'. It is very very soft and difficult to handle and when cooked is doughy instead of flaky and light. So many batches have ended up in the bin. Any suggestions?

ps I have tried all different sorts of fat by with no success. This dod not used to be the case!!

Hi Chill

I find the best pastry is made with Trex - have you tried that one?

Hope they haven't change the ingredients - I'm relying on it this year for my mince pies! :o

My mum used to make the best pastry ever - she never weighed anything and it always turned out fab. She always used to run her hands under cold water before mixing the pastry by hand as she said that if your hands were too warm the pastry went sticky. She also used a 50:50 mix of good butter and lard.

I do not seem to have inherited the gift and like Maz mine come ready made and boxed :o

Did you see jamie oliver last night- he made some mouth watering mince pies with filo pastry- they look very unusual but added a twist on the traditional ones. heres a link to a website with the recipe

Now even I have made these (although before Jamie Oliver came to prominence I must say). They are the easiest things in the world to make and although I can't vouch for the mincemeat versions because I can't abide them, my jam alternatives have always been delicious.

Haven't done them for some time though - thanks for reminding me that I'm not such an undomesticated goddess after all apple! :o

I always make my Christmas pastry with egg yolks and milk as well as water. Handling the dough as little as possible helps to keep it light.

Like the sound of ground almonds, presumably you substitute some of the flour for that but how much?

I always make my Christmas pastry with egg yolks and milk as well as water. Handling the dough as little as possible helps to keep it light.

Like the sound of ground almonds, presumably you substitute some of the flour for that but how much?

I just add a bagful, and use a little more egg in the mix. 50-50 lard and marg (or butter)

Always brush the top with beaten egg and sprinkle caster sugar over prick in the sign of a cross on the top with a fork. If you chill the pastry you'll be able to roll it thinner - and go as thin as you dare as they are always tastier with the right ratio of mincemeat:pastry. Don't be over-generous with the mincemeat as it spoils the look of them a bit if it bubbles out.

Hi Chill - I've checked the packet and Trex is only made with vegetable oils - absolutely nothing else.

It also says on the packet "for perfect pastry"!!!! My pastry was decidedly iffy and very hit and miss before I discovered just how easy it is to do with Trex - it really, really is! (Please note I am not on commission from the company either! :o )

I always thought the golden rule was to keep everything as cold as poss with the least amount of handling which I do try to do but it does 'roll' better when it isn't rock hard solid and stone cold, but definitely colder than room temperature!

What I'm wondering though is what's happened to make things change - new lighting/different mixer ? - odd isn't it!

Good luck - hope you find the solution and can enjoy your own mince pies again very soon! xD

Hi Chill - I've checked the packet and Trex is only made with vegetable oils - absolutely nothing else.

It also says on the packet "for perfect pastry"!!!! My pastry was decidedly iffy and very hit and miss before I discovered just how easy it is to do with Trex - it really, really is! (Please note I am not on commission from the company either! :o )

I always thought the golden rule was to keep everything as cold as poss with the least amount of handling which I do try to do but it does 'roll' better when it isn't rock hard solid and stone cold, but definitely colder than room temperature!

What I'm wondering though is what's happened to make things change - new lighting/different mixer ? - odd isn't it!

Good luck - hope you find the solution and can enjoy your own mince pies again very soon! xD

Yes just chill it in the fridge for half an hour max

Perhaps your heating is up higher?

I use Trex too and honestly the difference in my pastry is unbelievable. It is true short crust pastry. Also my vegetarian daughter eats mince pies made out of it, it is most definitely 100% vegetable oil

I use self raising flour, trex, an egg, a little icing sugar and milk/water mix to bind. Wrap up and put in fridge for a while.

My mother in law makes fabulous mince pies. She uses half Trex and half butter and also adds an egg to the pastry mix. As previously mentioned the mixture needs to be as cold as possible and handled to a mimimum.

I have to admit to buying delicious mince pies from the supermarket though!

Well I've decided to have a go at the mincemeat slices in Delia's Christmas book - "pastry" made from flour and oats mixed. Has anyone tried this recipe before? It looks OK but I'd rather have a seal of approval from someone first! :o

The cooks in the Centre where I work did a lovely mincemeat traybake for our festive singing session - drizzled glace icing on the top and cut into squares. Lots of the parents asked for some to take home, it was really delicious.

Edited by Wolfie

My mother in law makes fabulous mince pies. She uses half Trex and half butter and also adds an egg to the pastry mix. As previously mentioned the mixture needs to be as cold as possible and handled to a mimimum.

I have to admit to buying delicious mince pies from the supermarket though!

There's usually too much (slightly undercooked) pastry on bought ones

The nicest ones I ever bought were from Aldi!

Of course nowadays everything's gluten free for us, and the shop bought ones are awful.