Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning From Children's Interests

Guest Wolfie

In all honesty I tend to change the way I plan from week to week at the moment. I try to ask the children what they want to do in the morning and then write that into a daily plan. I also use a learning wall that I write what the children have said and examples of work they have done. Thy are very interested in pirates at the moment so it is all going along that theme in the new term, providing they are still interested! The learning wall I use as my main planning and then write up adult led activities to go along with it. But whether this is enough I have no idea.

I have just read all of these posts and it is fantastic. The only thing is, Im really confused now. I just wish that there was a simple document that told you how to do it!

At the moment I am in the middle of setting up continous provision areas. Am I right in thinking that when this is up and running, do I need continous provision posters for all areas? And then just adult led activity plans-that will be carried out in a particular area?

Oh no! That's no good. It's not confusing really - you just find the way that works best for you, that you can maintain and improve on as you reflect on your practice. As long as you have the children's interests at heart you won't be going far wrong!

hi every one just when i thought we had a workable system in place i am now confused !!!! i am working with pro formas from my local authority advisory teacher who says there is no need for medium term pans as how can you plan inadvance when it is mainly child led-we do holistic obs on each child, link obs into areas of learning and aspects, evaluate and pick out mainfinding to discover wnat each child needs to develop next-using development matters statement from eyfs. then write implications for planning.the room leader collates all information and plans for continuous provision on focus in motivational spaces planning sheet-adding resouces linked to childs interests or development needs (just a posh term for what we have out anyway!!!) also completes 5 focus activity sheets which are adult led or can be linked into individual development if required. can download if any one interested but need to get from work computer ! long term is continuous provision and routines-started to do this but takes forever-when you look a t snacktime for example its amazing how many areas and aspects you can cover-plan to do all but not a necessity!!! also staff are complaining about paperwork and room leader moaning some keyworkers are clueless and writing inappropriate comments for next steps and silly ideas for planning!!!ARRRRRG!!!!

Your plans wound sensible jaycooks would love to see them if that's possible. Thanks

Your plans wound sensible jaycooks would love to see them if that's possible. Thanks

sorry bobby ive mean meaning to upload some but i kept getting side tracked!!! they are on work computer but if yoy look in the birth to three section i managed to post at work today some for someone who asked for a sample for baby planning sheets

I've just seen this thread and it is so interesting to see how other setting's plan. Thank you everyone for sharing.

To ensure we cover all of the 'development matters' within the 6 areas of learning, we do have a long term plan. What we do is we sort of "audit" our Continuous Provision area's against the development matters statements, we highlight which statements we think would be covered in each area (sand, water, role play, technology etc). What we then do is look at where the gaps are, so look at the development matters statements which aren't covered very much within continous provision and then we try to incorporate these statements into our adult led plans. We have continous provision posters in each area to back this up too.

Having just read that back to myself, it makes absolutley no sense so...erm...sorry! I tried. :o

A warm welcome from me too MLS! If you're feeling confused, you're in good company but we're all here to help each other so feel free to ask as many questions as you like! :o Not that we will have definite answers but sometimes just voicing questions and issues helps you to sort out what you really think and want to do!

Been at uni today, you wouldnt beleive how very different each settings planning is, actually you probably could!

Each authority seems to be saying VERY different things.

I have come back home very confused.

general feeling was

Long term plan- how we are meeting the principles of eyfs

No medium term plan= just continious provision sheets for each workshop area, ie malleable sand writing area etc

Short term- - Most of us had focus activities for each day - activities are planned based on observations from the previous week either whole group or indiviudal keyworkers groups.

this is where they all seem to differ some. listed some of them

1.Weekly plans showing how you will enhance the workshops each day ie with what activities, no learning planned maybe a few adult led activities on a focus activity sheet

2. Weekly plans showing activities under each area of learning not workshop based, that will be met during the week supported by a toy plan to say what toys will be out daily.

3. Group time planning and circle time planning - what activities will be done each day and how it links to developmental matters, no other planning as they had continious provision sheets with well resourced workshop areas, the theory being that children will freely access all morning the resources obs will be done and then linked to learning. then they plan to get together for circle time at the beginning of the session and group time at the end.

The conversation got quite intense the poor tutor didnt stand a chance let alone get a word in edge ways! Planning a fantastic conversation starter aye!!

Im interested to think what others think as I have very mixed views now too!

Hi

This is a great thread and Im trying to gleam ideas from everyone as well as seeing what is suitable for our staff, children and resources.

As all the planning differs to such extent I also wonder if how much observation we all do also differs. From reading this thread I feel that I dont do enough!

We plan a theme at the start of a half term and let the children take the learning forward using the theme as a stimulus. They love this and our mind map that we make gets bigger as the term moves on and new ideas are added. This is evidence that the children plan the learning too!

I observe 3 focus children each week for detailed observations and plan their individual learning from these (both enhancements to provision and specific adult directed learning accessible to all, not just the focus children) I also note any other incidental observations.

Does this sound enough?

Hi candytree,

I don't know if I've already welcomed you to the forum but if not then a big welcome from me. As you say, the planning that each setting does is very individual to that setting, which is why there is no prescribed way of doing it. There probably is a great deal of difference with the amount of observations being done too, and how these are organised. However, the system that you have sounds fine to me and if it is working then I would continue as you are! You are clearly taking the lead from the children and using any observations you do do to inform your practice and future planning, which is super. :o

Ive sat 4 hours planning today, still not finished cant get it right. Having a paddy!

We have 2 rooms and a garden aged 2-5 years all children together, areas are resourced and we have continious prov sheets. we free flow we stop for circle time and a group time at the end of the session.

We do the following

1.list the workshop areas in each room and garden and then say how we are enhancing them, then someone said surely we have to have one of these for am and another for pm children- thats 4 sheets of paper! see below

2.Plan activities for all the individual children and put them names on the continious prov sheet

3. Plan adult led activities to cover the 6 areas of learning that we choose to cover for the term, based on the individual childrens summary

4. Plan circle time

5. Plan group time

This is sooooooooooo much planning and most of the time we cant get even get half of it done! Let alone play with the children, change nappies etc

We have a lot of part time staff and so have out plans like this

Workshop area Mon Tues Wed thur fri

Graphics practising letter

Maths compare bears

Construction

Small world

and so on.....

Can someone tell me if you feel we are doing too much, we havent been able to access any planning training, I know planning is very individual any suggestions or examples would help or even comments on the above

Hi Sharon, it does sound like you are doing rather a lot.

I think 3. on your list could easily be covered by your enhancements to continuous provision..I presume that you base your enhancements o what you have observed with the children and therefore no need to plan specific activities for them all as well.

Think about how many adult led activities you are planning for,these can be planned week to week, you dont need to do a planned adult led activity for each area every week.

Your group times could be for key groups and could be planned by each key person to reflect the needs of their group.

Does that make any sense?

It is, it's about finding what works best for you and your team. It's about being willing to leave some things that are just too much and be reflective about WHY you wanted to do it and seeing if there's a better, or easier way

we have a long term plan but it covers the whole setting not themes

we have on it things as a manger i need to do, appraisals, reveiw policies,sef, risk assessment etc

also shows important dates like pancake day (yum) mothers day christmas,fathers day

also shows wages due, fire drills

we do not do medium plan and never have done

begining of each term (new) we do 1 or 2 long observations and from that we plan the following weeks topic or interest shown

we go with most prominent and what would interest the majority and key people can plan for individual interests if neccessary

this is put onto weekly plan which includes areas of the eyfs that key person wants for their child

all my plans are working documents and get changed daily if directed by the child

topics are planned for weekly really as childrens interests change quickly!!

like a lot of you ....we are now beginning to display continuous provision sheets (some great ones in resource library - thank you. though an A3 printer to cram everything on that now needs covering would be useful) for different areas as long term plans, though in a village hall everything has to go up and down everyday ! but now short term planning based on childrens interests etc from weekly even daily obs rather than planned topics we're finding it not so easy to give parents information, any ideas ?

Maybe you could give parents information on what you've done, rather that what you've planned to do? Perhaps a boards which tells a story:

Jack really enjoyed x last week, and so did Alice and Phoebe, so this week we tried y. Here are some pictures; lots of children decided to give it a go and they learned.......

That kind of thing! It shows parents that you are using the children's interests to adapt your provision, including any other children who show an interest, and that you are happy to share this info. with the parents. It ticks a few boxes from EYFS :oxD

in my plans to tell parents at the beginning of each term i have 6 boxes with each of the areas. one area we focus on for the term the other areas are things that we have identified need covering eg physical dressing and undressing. although we do not have themes we do cover for instance next term spring, mothers day, red nose day, farm visit etc so they can be shared with the parents. what has been covered is put in their learning journals by means of photos

i too am struggling with what to include or not to include in plannning.

keep posting those ideas

angela

Hi All

Well currently doing my diploma in pre-school practice and guess what my next core unit is on...planning!!! Well check out the course content they have supplied and they talk about birth to 3 (never done it as I started when EYFS was in)..only mention of EYF is in the qution they are asking on assignment!

First part of the assignmnet is

1. Draw up a short term curriculum plan for 2 weeks. State the age of the children you are planning for and the curriculum framework you are using eg EYFS. Make the planning for each day different but you might find it useful to have a single list of everyday play items.

The course guideline states the short term plan should have details on of how to set up and run the session, the intended outcomes of the activities, the adults role throughout the session, how a childs individual needs will be catered for! It also gives the following checklist for short term plan..

the routine of the day

the layout of the activities and where each will be sited (a sepearte plan with staff deployment added).

a description of each activity ie the learning and development it covers, objectives targeted, adult role and deployment, how children are grouped, children to be especially targeted and any special consideration, vocabulary to be introduced, concepts to be introduced, how the activity id to be differentiated for those with differing abilities and needs, how the activity is to be extended, plus evaluation.

Phew is it any wonder im confused! But it seems we all are in the same boat. Fortunately my buddy has helped me out so taking her advice but it is all so confusing .....

Some plans on here are so much more detailed than the ones we are using. We had our new PVI teacher visit the other day and she loved us...took quick glance at planning said ok it works for you...and arent the children loving it here! Thats great! thats the imprtant thing!

i like the idea of a board showing what they have already done (though would have to dismantle it everyday) i do run slide shows of particular activities/visits etc....for parent to watch when collecting their children.....but still struggling with how to inform parents about planning in advance, was an easy thing to do with theme planning not so easy now doing week to week plans.

have nabbed a few continuous provision sheets (thanks :o ) told sure start at my QAA visit that the EYFS was the long term plan, they seemed ok with this.remains to be seen if OFSTED will be.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)