Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Charging Top-up Fees

Verona

As linda says they will have to make Nat Ins Contributions but it is not much on a low income.. what will also be putting them off is the additional paper work required at end of year for tax office as well as having to send in the payments to the tax office - this is usually asked for monthly but on small amounts they arrange this to be paid quaterly. The calculations of what to pay may also be putting them off but it is easy these days as they produce a CD Rom which does the calculations for you. (I do wages for us - they pay me to do it as it was easier than retraining someone every year.)

Must admit the miminm wage helped us enormously wages were so low.

Good Luck with this one.

Inge

It can all be paid on the internet too! I pay both NI contributions and any tax deductions monthly through my bank on the net. It's so easy. No excuse really!! Also, the Inland Revenue are rewarding small employers with £825 over the next five years if they submit their year end NI and PAYE accounts on the net. Not to be sniffed at for pre-schools and small private day nurseries. The relevant page on the Inland Revenue web site can be found here.

Linda

Wont be necessary to find out about tax etc. Have decided tonight to hand my notice in, will leave at the end of July. Found out today that the assistant we have who has just started training earns £13 week less than me. Not happy! She has no responsibility and I have so much (even with a good deputy) Totally dumbstruck! :o

Oh Rea :o

You made me smile earlier with your socks under the bed comment and I have been sitting here looking at a blank box trying to think what I can say!to cheer you up xD

The answer is not alot really :( other than it's their loss but I am sure there is a setting crying out for someone just like you and one that will value you in all ways including in your pay packet :D

For now have a hug, take care and hang on in there :D

It's not a rash decision though, I've had the thought for about 12 months but this is the nail in the coffin so to speak. I'm already looking at doing tutor training and as for leaving the staff, well I'm going to get all those little odd jobs that we never have time for out of the way so they at least dont have to deal with accreditations, planning formats and policies, kind of leave them with everything in place.

I'm so glad this forum is here, for too long I've had the thought but not been able to say it. Now it's said, it will make the resignation letter easier. Thanks for your thoughts. :D

Hope you're feeling ok now 'D' day has come and gone Geraldine. :)

Oh Rea,

I know that must have been a hard decision, pre-schools are kind of like family, even with all the little niggles! From what you say, the push was really only just that and it was already almost a 'done thing'.

Good luck with the Tutor thing, it's really great fun when you get used to it, and when you get a good group together the ideas and discussion can be amazing - a bit like here!!! :o

Hope we can keep Teddy and the links going with your setting, but I suppose that will depend on the new management! xD I'll try and get your link set up ASAP, so there'll be no excuse :D

Keep us posted, take care

Sue :D

I expect in some ways you must be feeling a bit better now that the decision is made Rea. It often takes the saying of it, or in this case the writing it down, to make you realise that this is definitely the right thing.

And sometimes it's the change of direction that we need and we wonder why we didn't do it ages ago! Good luck deciding what you are going to do next-the tutoring will be a great experience. Another arrow to your bow!

Linda

Thanks, if the deputy gets my position the Teddy will keep going, but as she knows whats involved it doubtful!!! Got to go, neice and nephew going home. Horray! No I didnt say that did I???? :oxD

Love 'em really :D

• 2 months later...

Hi Net

I don't think I have welcomed you elsewhere so I will do so now.

Yes you are right-as from April 2006 we will be funded for 38 instead of 33 weeks. Great news I have to say but why it has taken so long I don't know! It still doesn't take into account the 4 weeks holiday pay on top of those 38 weeks but at least it is heading in the right direction.

Linda

Southampton seems to be ahead of the game again!

In Southampton the city council have just started counting the funding as an entitlement for up to 55 sessions per term per child (rather than 5 sessions per week for 11 weeks). So for a child attending up to 4 sessions per week we now have funding for 55 sessions per term i.e. 13 or 14 weeks each term. The parents whose children do 5 sessions still have to pay for the extra weeks in our setting.

Carolyn

Stockport is also funding 55 sessions for part time places which many authorities are doing now. This is part of the government's 10 year strategic plan for childcare and comes in next year. They have also said that the funding will extend to 15 hours a week and, I think, eventually for most , if not all, of the year.

Linda

Ahh, the good old Ten year strategy...

What do you think will happen to those groups who currently only open for 33 weeks a year? If parents have got funding for 38 weeks and the group their child attends only opens for 33 weeks, will the group be under pressure to open for an extra 5 weeks (and offer longer sessions when the funding will rise to 20 hours per week?

It will be very interesting to see what happens...

Maz

I don't think this will please my parents because at the moment I can just squeeze in 2 sessions a day, 9.00-11.30, half hour for day children to have their lunch followed by afternoon session 12.00-2.30. This enables all parents to have as many sessions as they wish. If each session had to last for 3 hours I couldn't open for the afternoon session

umm I haven't read this 10 year plan - but think I'd better go and read it quick!

Currently we open for 33/34 weeks for 5 x 2.5 sessions and do not get involved in charging any top up fees.

Now this system has been working very well thank you - so as mazlittle says ... 'have I now got to open for 38 weeks and up to 20 hours??? This is a bit of a problem as the hall is used in the afternoons on 4 days per week - so that's a good start!!!!!!

My area in Dorset is also now doing the 55 sessions per term for those who do less than 5 sessions per week.

janice

p.s. - ohhhhhh I really don't want to do 38 weeks per year ... perhaps my area won't get round to that just yet! :oxD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

looks like most areas aren ow funding 55 sessions per term, but causes a headache with sorting top up fees for those that have 5 sessions but not the others- so far no-one has decised to drop to 4 sessions to save paying but it is sure to cross thier minds. we look forward to the 38 weeks next year.

but....

As to 3 hour sessions- we are aware of the need and gain for the child and parent etc etc, but the loss of pre-school places will be noticable as very few will be able to offer the 2 sessions a day and end up closing afternoons, it will also have a knock on effect for staffing, many of them need the hours to make a 'wage' worth having, and to get benefits. some will end up leaving the sector because they have to and expertise will be lost as the hours and wage is not there.

we have been trying to work out if we could do it but no matter what hours we look at we would clash with schools for siblings of children either collecting or dropping off and cause problems for staff who also have to collect children from local schools.

Only way we can see forward would be full daycare!!

Inge

Not actually a problem our playgroup will have for much longer. The chair openly said today that the playgroup will shut when the adjacent school open their nursery. It's been open for 40 years and I think this is the saddest thing. :o

How sad, Rea

Is there really not enough demand for the pre-school as well as the nursery? Has anyone done any research into numbers, parents' needs etc. Perhaps you could stage a 'management buy out'!

40 years is a long, long time. This is very sad for the families of all those children, not to mention the staff...

Especially when the Government is trumpeting its success in increasing childcare places.

Maz

Nowhere near enough children unfortunalty, we do at present have full register and a waiting list but the list is really only because the children arent old enough to start yet. The school will offer places to all 3&4 yr olds which leaves us with U3's and no funding. We just wouldnt be able to manage finacially. I'm leaving in July anyway but I'm still sad that a place that has offered so much to so many children over the years wont be able to continue. I have said that in future years, if there is funding for U3's I'll maybe open up something for 2 yr olds, but thats all conjecture at the moment. What annoys me the most is that the committee are happy to let the school walk all over us without a fight. I personnaly dont like the idea of 3 yr olds in a school environment, however well intentioned and set up, but even if I'd been staying I dont think my views would of accounted for anything. It's a really sad thing and yes I agree with what you say about the Government, but then most of what they do is'nt really based on whats best for the children anyway, so long as all mothers and fathers are in full time employment that's all that seems to count. :o

Hi everyone,

At the mo, I open for 5 mornings 9.30-12.00 and 3 afternoons 12.30-3.00, 2and a half- 5yrs. The area we are in is very mixed. Half are families on benefits and the other half live in big houses.

I try my best to offer as much help as I can in helping some of our mums get back to work and offer a solution(little loophole in the system)

If you have a funded child in a morning session and an afternoon session(both funded), the child has to be out of the care of the provider for 1 hr. If a parent pays for the second session, the child only has to be out of our care for 20mins. SO some of my working parents come in their lunch hour and feed their children at 12-12.30. Not ideal but a way for some of them to live.

I am looking into day care but still keeping my 2 sessions but also offering a 9-3pm day at pre school prices. We charge £4.50 a session and for a day session would charge £10. A LOT cheaper so parents on a lower income can afford. Unfortunately I have only one stupid problem , I don't have a staff room for the staff to eat their lunch in. Of course they don't care, have even offered to sit in their cars.

We are a committee run pre school, so no profit to be made. I understand why there are restrictions but something so trivial is unfair.

net x

Net

we are exactly the same as you open from 9.30 - 12 and 2 afternoons a week 12.15 - 2.45 take 21/2 - 5 yrs . Comittee run. :o

I did not know that an 1hr lunch break was the rule as some of ours only have 30 mins if they want an am and pm session!!!!!! (only a hanful do mind)!! xD

My staff bless them get 20 mins for lunch and stand in our kitchen to eat it. :D

I agree with you Rea - school is really no place for three year olds.

What do your Early Years team think about all this? Do you take two and a half year olds? Where will these children go until they are old enough to go to 'big school'?

As a parent, I would be asking questions about ratios - ours is 1:6 and I can't see that being replicated in the school's Foundation Unit. Parents will be under pressure to send their children to school, though.

It must be soul destroying to see everything you've worked so hard to build up just coming to an end. Is this the final straw for the committee? You seem surprised that they are just accepting things. Have they talked to your existing parents to find out what their plans are? You never know, they might not want to move their children...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)