Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Restraint Policy

Beau

Having my inspection with the care commission (OFSTED equivalent) on Monday. We had a list of records/documents that are required for inspection sent to us today :( and amongst those they are expecting to see is a 'Restraint Policy'. xD I don't suppose anyone out there has one handy?? :o They are also expecting to see our 'Operational Policy Manual'. :( Is this just a collection of all our policies do you think?? Not panicking :( , just want to do things right. :D

Hi Carol

Never heard of a restraint policy I must admit!!!

Our operational plan here is everything you can think of, policies, planning, rotas etc. In other words everything you need to run your group. But it doesn't necessarily have to be in one folder. It can be every documentary type of evidence that you have but if that is a list of daily tasks pinned to a notice board that is fine. We tend to keep copies of everything we have in the way of rotas, lists etc in one folder as that is easier to show inspectors, parents etc. and also means that if we lose something we have a copy handy.

Linda

Hi Carol -

Is there a particular reason they want to see a restraint policy? (Or were they just looking a bit nervous when they asked for it - might have been a personal query...)

As for the Operational Plan, we have a version of one on the Forum somewhere, but I can't remember for the life of me where I've put it! I think it's all getting a bit much for me. Anyway, I'll see if I've recovered by tomorrow and post a link to it if I have! :o

The form I was sent is just a standard form with a list of different records/documents. There is a cross beside those they want to see for this inspection. A restraint policy is obviously just the latest 'fad' up here! :o Last year it was a 'Control of spread of infection policy' and 'Whistleblowing policy' which had us scuttling about. xD Wonder what they'll come up with next year. :( I've tried to keep copies of everything in one file (for the very reason you stated Linda, they could easily become lost otherwise). Hopefully that will have everything in that they want, but a list of your Operational Plan would be useful. :) Wondered if a few lines at the bottom of the behaviour policy would suffice. :(

Hey Beau

I would have thought adding a few lines on the end of your behaviour policy would be acceptable to the big O. I found this on the net that might help you...or not.

http://www.mewsnursery.co.uk/downloads/pdf...iour_Policy.pdf

It's probably to cover you legally. I know you have to document everything if you need to 'handle' a child anyway but obviously the big O want to give you even more paperwork. Give the children less written work and the adults more :o

It's an interesting topic. I work in a school and we just had three, three hour sessions of Team Teach where we are shown how to deal with difficult pupils and how to use restraining techniques if the need arises. It gives us the legal right to touch and restrain a child but only in the school where the training is given - it is invalidated if I move elsewhere. It seems to me the big O is coming across a lot of behaviour issues in pre-schools etc.

Good luck

D

Sorry if I'm too late, Carol - Operational Plan is just everything!! Policies, procedures, all your arrangements for running. But Resraint Policy ????? Is this a red herring? Or are they trying to trap you?????

Sue :D

PS, good luck!

She didn't even mention the restraint policy to me at all. :o Obviously she was happy with our existing behaviour policy and she also wrote down observations of how I interacted with the children. Spent the weekend scurrying about making sure I had copies of everything and that our informatin booklet etc was all up to date which is why I haven't been on the site. Paid off though because she was impressed that we had it all to hand. :D She spent the morning telling me what a good job I was doing and how she was really sorry that she couldn't put it all into her report. :D She said it was so nice to go somewhere and not have to write a single negative comment. :D:D:D:D

I attended a course this morning entitled 'Positive Handling Policy of Hampshire County Council' , basically a policy has been drawn up to ensure all practitioners are working in the same way. I feel it is great to have guidance but it has still created many grey areas. Also on all occasions staff may need to use restraint for the child's or other children's safety a form must be completed containing every detail of the situation and sent to HCC.

Not sure if this is something being drawn up by each council or not...?

Congratulations Beau! You must feel great!

I would have thought that addressing restraint issues in a good behaviour policy would be more than adequate. I'm glad to hear that this was so. :o

Me too, Nicola (I'm your new fan, having just read 'The Thinking Child' - that's me, in the corner, nervously rolling the hem of her skirt, wondering if you like jelly babies or licorice allsorts best..... xD )

And Beau !! Congrats!! But were you really worried :o I was, cos you've been missing for ages!!

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)