Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Admisssion Age?

Following on from Hali's question about taking a set of twins at 2 when the starting age for her group is two and a half I was wondering what age groups were registered for?

We are registered for 2 years and I had thought that this was the case for all pre-schools/playgroups.

Linda

Guest alisonjayne

Hello Linda

In answer to your question about other settings our playgroup is registered for 2 1/2yr olds. I didn't realise that you could take children at 2.

Alison

I have to say that we don't take children until 2 years 9 months unless there are special circumstances. What I am curious to know is what OFSTED have registered you for? I had thought that 2 years was nationwide but it would not seem to be the case. So, again, we have discrepancies in what OFSTED are telling groups.

Linda

Thats what i dont understand, when i started at our group only had 3yr olds and i remember we could take from 2 1/2 if space was available...i have no idea why it says 2 on our registration doc. ive never said anything to Ofsted about taking them from 2yrs!!! ... very strange :o

I am registered to take them from 2 too (Pre-school) - but I never asked to take them that young!!! When I queried it with Ofsted they said it was because they don't split a year group - e.g. the certificate will say from 2 or 3 but they didn't split it into months.

That's interesting if some certificates are being issued with months on them etc. - but either way, it does allow you some sort of flexibility in filling the places.

janice :o

We can take children from the age of two but after alot of thought and discusions we will only take them from the age of 2 yrs 8 months. As we only have one room it would be impossibe for children aged 2 yrs old and nearly 5 years old to be in the same room as their needs are so different.

Also the more under threes you have the higher staff to child ratio you need.

Carol

hali - i just queried after the certificate came through (after transitional) and i did lower admission age to fill places - in the event though it wasn't cost effective as I needed extra staff to cope with nappies/tears etc. Actually I am now going to put a minimum age of 2.6 !!!!!!!!!!! Only joking - it all depends very much on how the child copes with the morning etc - they are all ready for pre-school/playgroup at different ages aren't they ???!!!!

janice :o

We are registered from the age of 2, but won`t take below 2 1/2 years. When queried with Ofsted, it is because they won`t register for "1/2" years.

hi JPH & welcome. You've been hiding for a very long time but I hope now you've made your first post ( which no one else noticed-shame on them!! xD ), it will be the first of many. :D

Not got anything to add here as I'm not in preschool but I guess you can now take those twins Hali, all other things being equal! :o

It was my Ofsted inspector who told me I could now take children just two. I thought of asking her to change it to 2.9.mths but left it as it was in case a parent came to me who was really desperate. I am now in the fortunate position of having a long waiting list so children are now age 3 when they start. I find it much easier to settle them in. They part easily and are not needing to go to the toilet every half hour.

I'm extended hours preschool registered for 2 yrs to under 5yrs.

I would not survive without the under 3's - 50% of my register, at this time of year. Quite a few 2 yr olds attend all ten sessions per week- working parents

(I open 8:45-15:15)

I do have two rooms but age groups tend to mix most of sessions, only split for story, register time.

I mention "to under 5yrs" because I wanted to set up a before and after school club with a "walking bus" service but Ofsted said I couldn't have a child aged between 5-6yrs ie: 51/2.

It appears its allowed at the younger age but not over. :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)