Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Computer As Part Of Continuous Provision

I was wondering if anyone has a computer set up as part of continous provision which the children can access as they want? If so how does it work? At present we only have the computer out when there is an adult available to sit at the computer with children - but that does mean it is not used as much as it could be.

If it was less closely supervised there would need to be some way of children to put their names on a waiting list (there always seems to be a queue of children wanting to use it). Also, although many of the children can now use the computer independently and have good mouse skills, some can't, so is there any way round that in terms of equal opps?

Any ideas or experience on this would be very useful.

Thanks

Starburst

we have just put a laptop out for the children to use when they want too - im very suprised as there is never a queue!!!!! i have come to the conclusion that they are so readily avaialable at home now its npt novelty. Those that do use it know how to use the mouse and change programmes - scary really!!!! :o

I have always had a computer available as CP, and I'm talking for years since the old Oric, BBC's etc :o and not really had problems with queues. If it is always there then the children don't need to rush to have a go in case they don't get a turn. I do find that sometimes it is necessary to put an adult there to support the children, help with a new program, or ensure that the same children aren't on it all the time. Some children can take a while to master the mouse. Once they are familiar most children help each other. I think that they get more out if it that way as they are interacting with others rather than just with the screen.

Our computer is available for children to access independently whenever they choose, and we find that when a queue develops (or one particular child seems to have spent a long time there), the children are good at going off to find the sand timer so that each child gets a turn. As hali says, now the children are used to how it all works they can turn it on, select their programme and away they go!

Sometimes we offer a bit of adult support to the ones who ar finding it difficult controlling the mouse, but often the adult's role is just to watch and comment on what the child is doing: they really can do it all for themselves!

Maz

I think once the novelty of having the computor more freely available the novelty will pass and the queues will disapear

I agree a sand timer is a good way of stopping children hogging the computerfor too long but its rarely used the children seem to have worked out their own pecking order.

I think once the novelty of having the computor more freely available the novelty will pass and the queues will disapear

I agree a sand timer is a good way of stopping children hogging the computerfor too long but its rarely used the children seem to have worked out their own pecking order.

Completely agree with Alison.

Same .. we have the timer.. but rarely use it.. we do monitor the use and move children on if there for a while.. we have found that some children will see someone using it and then not go near until free..

we have 2 children seated at a time helping each other or waiting...

we have it 3 days a week.. as we find that is enough.. one parent commented that she thought we were brave just letting them go it alone!

Do find some children will shut it down when they have had enough so no one can use it!

Inge

We also have it freely available and if someone seems to be hogging it the rest of the children are quick enough to tell a staff member! They are very adept at using the computer and I (as the person with the most ICT knowledge?!) am frequently called over by another member of staff asking me to work out how x got this on/made this happen. I would say that if you were planning to go to freely available just make sure you have a helpful technical person or money to replace the computer should the worst happen.

We have 2 as CP-one linked to the web and one for discs. Once upon a time there would be a crowd, que and a timer in use now its usually single users and often the screen saver comes on.Everyday item sthese days

God bless the old BBC's with the tape recorder for loading programmes :o

We have computer all the time, we have a sign up saying only 2 people can play here and if a queue starts arising we use a timer which works very well. An adult is about all the time to supervise if necessary, but most of the time we are not needed!

We have three available as cp - as has already been observed, children tend to help each other, but adults are always available to help if needed. Timers are available, but not used as a matter of course. When we have a new influx from the Toddler Room (Day Nursery) we postion an adult there for a while, to avoid too much damage to the systems ( :o ), but it usually evens out quite quickly.

Sue

We have computer on all the time with a really easily accessed program (from DK). The children help each other and the ones with no mouse control just sit and have a go until they have cracked it. I keep a class list near the table and just tick off who is there (now and again). Also the class scan is used to see who the 'nerds' are.

we do not have it as part of cp as we have been given some brand new, state of the art ones and we are terrified a child will delete something from the desk top, so we have it as a supervised, adult led activity.

Hopefully, once they have mastered the basic skills and shown that they can respect it correctly, then it can become a cp activity, but at the moment, I think my P45 would be given out if I had to go to HT and say there was a problem that happened when it was unsupervised!

We have one computer used for CP. It is web-linked on the primary school's network to give us Cbeebies. Children generally help each other out and we also use a sand timer if necessary.

Few probs with children ending their turn by turning off the monitor. Button is now loose but a certain amount of fiddling soon fixes it!!

Ooh, yes!

That monitor off button is a pest! The times the computers have been unplugged at the end of the day when staff on lock up think they've been shut down and they haven't!! We are always telling the children to leave the monitors on, but they just don't take any notice!! :o

Just had to add this..

Today children were happily playing a game on PC.. Moles.. which is just for mouse control, click and drag etc... they love it.. and needs no supervision.. except to teach how to use a mouse, however we find they teach each other using this game.

i turned around to see one very engrossed little boy standing up and vigorously waving the mouse in the air.. pointing it at the screen, moving it down again then up in the air again...

sorry but I collapsed into laughter (child did not notice.. too engrossed) and once recovered had to send another staff member help him.. seems he used a Wii so thought it worked the same!

Think it will take him a while to convert, he didn't master mouse today so try again tomorrow,

Inge

sorry but I collapsed into laughter (child did not notice.. too engrossed) and once recovered had to send another staff member help him.. seems he used a Wii so thought it worked the same!

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine tells about her first ever computer lesson many years ago. She was a bit nervous at first, but soon gained confidence when noticed the person next to her rolling the mouse around the screen and not being able to understand why nothing was working!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)