Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play For Boys

How about leaving resources such as tubes and helmets and chairs about and they could be firefighters!

They'd need a phone and a bell and perhaps a notepad and a map - our lot have great fun with this. However, the boys are often quite happy to involve themselves in other non-stereotypical play as well as more gender specific play such as wearing the fairy dresses and acting out power rangers at the same time! They like the shopping trolleys and the walkie talkies.

I'm sure you have lots of available 'props' and make good use of all kinds of situations and events. A large delivery box was cut into strips with the plastic saw and the resulting pieces stuck along the walls with masking tape - new skirting boards like the joiner fixed.

When a plumber came in to fix the loo they all became plumbers and were using wrenches to 'tighten' the pipes under our seats.

It's just a question of feeding imaginations - could you get some real blokes in to do something for them to emulate?

Hello. I've moved this into the Drama and Role-play Forum where you will find lots of discussions and ideas.

Perhaps one way of finding a role-play that will suit your boys is observing them and seeing what they are playing in their imaginative and small world play. You can then develop their ideas. If it is something they plan and make with you then they may be more involved.

Insert flashing lights and siren noise!! :o Ahem, stereotyping anyone?? xD

We shouldn't plan to gender but to individuals. Find out what the children are interested in and then plan activities based around these. I actually found that a great many boys love to play 'house' or looking after babies. :(

currently making my role play into a space station - linked to the boys making space ships each day... add a new element to the play and hopefully involve the others too.... one or two girls have made space craft... but not as interested as the boys... will see how it goes.

I have started a police station because they are really keen on goodies and badies, we have taken finger prints, if you see these people call crime stopers on 0800......, duty rotas, incident reports.

Today the boys were in the doctor's surgery even a few were keen to wear the nurse's uniforms, I was pleased they like doing some marking making for prescriptions. The boys have enjoyed the hairdressers as well. Travel agents including all the transport. superheros/ police/firefighters.

• 3 months later...

Mechanics role play is a sure fire winner. Outside provision will probably work best. Hopefully your setting will have tricyles or those 'little tike' cars. Combine these with tools, a ramp (couple of bits of planks of wood on bricks), relevant paper work (MOT certificates, service details etc - a friendly word at your local garage may help you source some papers for your role play). A trip to local garage would be great to start off role play, as would visit from mechanic.

A large empty box with a funnel can become a petrol pump. Sparklebox is a great website which has free downloadable material relating to mechanics role play.

Provide buckets & sponges for 'car wash'.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how it goes, we haven't done ours yet so would love to know any feedback/tips.

Insert flashing lights and siren noise!! :o Ahem, stereotyping anyone?? xD

Well at the moment we have a home corner with babies and buggies and cots and beds and stuff. Trouble is the girls are getting very cross because two of our smallest boys won't let them have a look in!

I agree - observe them, talk to them and that way you'll find out what they want! Chances are if you plan with their gender in mind and not their interests you'll plan a wonderful role play experience but the children will steer clear!

Maz

Our boys really adore any worshop-based role play - so garages, builders yards, bus stations, airports, train stations, DIY stores and garden centres - but they also get v busy in cafes too, taking orders and cooking up stir-fries and doughnuts esp.

Good luck - boyz r great

We've currently got a Chinese Restaurant which is very popular with the boys - think they might be budding Jamie Olivers! :o Other role-play areas we've found the boys are especially keen to use are a pirate ship, castle, Percy the Parkkeepers hut and an underwater cave.

Our last role play area was extremely popular with the boys and girls ......building site indoor and roadworks outdoor :o . We even had our own cement mixer!

We had the community support police visit in the week . This has really stimulated the children and the role play has been varied showing high involvement.

Outside we put junk modelling - small boxes / cylinders and lids. They made badges/ walkie talkies/arm bands/sirens. They set up various jails and arrested each other. We had some robbers climbing onto the top of the climbing house and lots of chasing with a purpose.

The community blocks were used to make a police station and then changed to a police car. Telephones / old laptops were used.There was lots of writing- filling out of forms and labelling the station with signs.

The trick is to extend and add other resources to aid their play.

Has anyone any ideas how we can sustain this play or should we even try -just listen carefully to see where the children want to go to next.

We have a mini County observation next week and wish it could have been this week as not sure where there play will go or if it will be so sustained.

E.

Hi,

I have done a garage, with overalls, tyres secured on wooden stand, using balloon pump to repair tyres. Make a service sheet with areas for repair, include car manuals and tools they will be happy. Also links to numeracy - registration plates, ordering numbers, times cars will be ready for collection, price.

Fire station also a good one.

Try to link to ideas they have, one of my best was a vets and we linked to pets they had. Even made videos like 'Blue peter' on how to care for your pets, and made pet homes and had visits by some friendly pets. Could visit vets for initial ideas and inspiration.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)