Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Its Here

hali

Well its done...lovely inspector said we have unofficially passed, has to go to a board to confirm, only commented on our outdoor space and wearing hats for sand play!!!!!!!! :o

Thank you to all large drink coming now!!!! xD

:D:D Well done Hali to you and your team :D:D

I provide the desert cap style hats, you know the ones with a flap that covers the neck. Bought 100 as a job lot, useful for outdoor play in the summer as well :o

Like aprons though if children don't want to wear them they don't have to.

Peggy

Hali, well done, enjoy your drink :D As for hats in the sand play... I remember a few years ago sometrhing about hats, primarily for afro-carribean children whose hair might retain sand more. We did, many years ago have some hats, made from apron material, but the children didn't want to wear them, and eventually they disappeared. Was that what she meant?? Congratulations again :D:D

Congratulations Hali, enjoy the moment, and the drink.

We use those hats that people in catering use, and in operating theatres - soft material ones. They are there is the children want them, and if they don't then so be it.

mobbster

Hali,

The hats are to stop sand in hair (not a major problem though) and also I find the peak of the cap has helped to stop sand getting in a childs face/arms when it is flicked up accidently with the spade, you know when they are tapping the top of the bucket to make sand castles, the sand on the spade goes everywhere.

Once I said to one off my staff, look at .....hair it's covered in nits, on closer inspection it was sand granules :D

ooooooops, I meant eyes, not arms.

So what challenge are you going to give yourself next now that Accreditation has been so successful. Only joking, rest and basque in the glory.

When the 'panel' endorse the assessors decision plan to make a big celebration with media coverage, local MP's, EYDCP representatives etc to present the award. Good news should be shared news.

again well done.

Peggy

Congratulations Hali-we had our assessor visit this morning and yeasterday. Very nice lady but quite gruelling questioning-such as 'how exactly do you record that every learning goal has been covered each term for every child?' At the end of today's session she said that she had enjoyed her visit and would be delighted to recommend us for accreditation. I should feel wonderful but I actually feel shaky and totally exhausted!

i know what you mean Deb.. after our ofsted inspection back in March i was on a high for weeks, but after this one just felt exhausted...we had the same questioning about covering all the stepping stones each term :o ive just downloaded the guidence and highlighted and pasted them all onto a sheet as our evidence... xD

also what i think dosnt help is after Ofsted you know straight away but with this they say they are delighted to recommend but until it goes to panel you not sure and that could take ages.

Well done anyway at least its over :D

Well done from me too :o

Hate to sound thick (but it happens) did you really mean to say 'all the learning goals each TERM????' We cover them each year, some possibly more than once but not each term. Oh please dont say I've been doing it wrong, I've just got a good system going xD

Dont forget this is for accreditation, we cover every stepping stone over a two year basis, but were told that we should be looking at the bottom grey section of the guidence which gives you the overallview and check that its been covered each term...every one!!!! :o

Yes that is exactly what the assessor said to me-I had previously understood that we just had to show we were covering all the areas of learning at each session. Fortiunately you are allowed a few 'areas of development' and this went down as mine.

Hali,

Did you take this to mean you have to cover all the ELGs every term? The FS curriculum guidance doesn't say that at all, does it? In fact, there are many references to the ELGs being what children are expected to achieve at the end of reception, and this implies that the SSs are what pre-schools should be concentrating on.

Thinking again, did s/he mean that all the aspects should be covered in some way each term? That would make more sense.

No Helen (maybe peggy can help us out here) all ELGs (in the grey box at the bottom of the file x70) have to be covered each term. :(

I told her that surely if we were covering stepping stones out of that area in a term that was covering it to which she replied yes but where is your evidence? :o

It went down as our only developmental area too debs. (ive decided that i will list all those goals onto a sheet and use it as a checklist at the end of each term to check we have covered thaem!!!!) xD

Well done Deb.

Don't know if this will help at all or mearly confuse you even more, but when I went on my initial training for implementation of the FS Guidance in summer 2000, and I heard Lesley Staggs speak & it was very clear that the ELGs were the expected outcomes and the stepping stones were a suggested possible route to attainment.

So, in my reception classroom I have always indicated the ELG that my activity/ experience pertains too and used stepping stone language or something similar to indicate the learning that will actually take place.

Some of the ELGs are sequential or at least hierarchical and I would not expect to cover all of them in great detail in every term although if you analysis all the spontaneous learning that takes place rather than planned learning you can do this!

Just because you are identifying which ELG you are working towards doesnt mean that the children have attained it.

Does that help at all?

Hi Hali,

I was just going to respond but hubby's just arrived home, wants to take me out to dinner :o

He's been very understanding finding me on this site EVERY time he comes home.

so I will get back to you tomorrow.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)