Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Its Here

hali

Oh gosh xD

Saturday morning 11am phone rings....... lovely lady chatting to me from PLA..didnt click then she asked if i was ready!!!!!!! ummmmmmmmmmmm of course i said ????????? :o

Click..... 'can i come and inspectyou on 15th October? :(

Here we go again staff will love me at the staff meeting tomorrow when i tell them................. more stress, more grey hairs..never mind know it will be ok :D

Hali,

As a PLA Assessor myself (although I've taken a year off, own business to run)

I am sure, as you said, A Lovely Lady, will appear on the 15th October, looking for all the positive aspects of your setting, praising you and your team for all your hard work and commitment to quality - I always remember that I have been invited to assess a setting, and that without commited people like yourself I wouldn't have a wonderful time visiting good quality provisions.

good luck

Peggy

Snap! My accreditation assessor is coming on 19/20th October. After surviving a combined ofsted inspection earlier this year I just can't summon up enthusiasm. But your words are encouraging, Peggy.

Deb W

We had our Accreditation inspection back in February, one month before our Ofsted. It is so different to Ofsted, the assessor is there to help you and guide if necessary, and they can't shut you down. You have to remember that. They don't have the power that Ofsted do.

We had a lovely lady who was very approachable and helpful and chatty. And remember, if you know you are a good setting with good practices and your portfolio is as good as you can make it, then everything will be fine. Good luck.

Lesley

Just a normal inspection (Care Commission up here not OFSTED), it's not a combined inspection. I'm doing everything that is humanly possible already, considering I am only paid part time. My committee have been excellent this year too. I'm of the opinion that if they can suggest ways that we can improve, and it's at all possible to implement, then that's a good thing. I only have so many hours in the day though and they can't expect miracles from one person. :o I don't see the point in stressing out about these things - I'll leave that to lesser mortals. :(:(:(xD

Guest doohanok5

Hi all, I'd be really interested to learn from anyone who has done/is doing an accreditation as to what the assessors will be looking for in terms of information/evidence. How much extra paperwork ( :o ) does it entail?

My pre-school are thinking about going for this in the not too distant future (probably the PLA scheme) and I would like to know what we'd be letting ourselves in for! xD Thanks.

hi

If you do the PLA scheme you will get a set of books through a bit like the Ofsted standards inspection book.....

This lists all the evidence you need to collate together.

We had already for our standards inspection gathered all info and evidence into a file...so that made it easier to do it for accreditation as we transfered all that info and then filled it out with whatever else we needed.

Its all evidence to show how you work, plan, manage and implement things into the daily running of your setting, and then when they come to inspect they just want to be able to see that you practise that in the every day running of your practise. :D

Not really....

a deadline we were advised to do it within a year if possible so that all the parents that filled in questionaires (which they have to do) are still about when you complete the scheme.

We started ours last october and were ready by May time but its taken till now to get an appiontment for an inspection.

Good luck.... :D

Hi,

If you are a member of the PLA and have recieved your latest Under Five magazine there is a feature in there by Pauline Finch - Accreditation Officer. The accreditation scheme is endorsed by Investors in Children.

The newest development from all accreditation schemes is the importance and value of 'reflective practice'.

ie: we never ever reach quality because we are always improving, adapting, developing - This may sound disheartening but looked at positively it doesn't mean we never reach our goals, but what it does mean is that we will always have opportunities for future achievements (however large or small) to be celebrated.

A mentor should be available to all settings who undertake a quality assurance / accreditation scheme, they can advise how and what evidence, (although a good mentor will enable you to discover this yourself- as a staff team)

The new OFSTED changes for inspections ( present consultation) says that IiC (investors in children) will be looked for at each setting in the future so I think we should all go out there and prove our worth.

Good luck - I'm sure you will be fine.

Peggy

Guest doohanok5

Thanks Peggy, I will have a look for the Under Five article tomorrow.

I understand what you mean about reflective practice. I am currently doing the Foundation Degree in Early Years through the Open University and the courses so far have very much promoted an attitude of constant reflection.

Now it's just getting the support and co-operation of colleagues and committee, but I can always rely on help from all my kind and wise friends on the forum :D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok have spent all morning sticking up displays (just waiting for the complaints from the vicar) :D:D:D

Spent all afternoon ploughing through and sorting planning paperwork etc (its just like Ofsted) :D:D:D

Plan to spend all evening with hot toddies as feel very coldy (good excuse anyway) :D:D:D

Hali,

Think of tomorrow as not an 'Inspection' but an appraisal of you and all your staff's worth, and inevitably there will be at the end of it, lots of praise and areas to develop. Praise because you and your team have commited yourselfs to this goal of 'quality' and development because we never ever reach an end, always something to adapt as needs change.

Relax, smile, have a hot toddie for me ( don't have a cold but any excuse) and enjoy, basque in the praise and glory.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)