Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Training

I turned out for this course tonight (in the dark, wind and rain, after a 10 hour day! - are you getting the picture?)

Despite waiting 5mins in the lobby with 6 others to be let in, I was quite looking forward to some phonics training.

Lots of lovely resources, books, games & instruments on show. I thought (wrongly!) that we'd get to practice the sounds, learn the order they're taught etc - basically, expand on the information I get from the Jolly Phonics introduction meeting at school.

But - no!

They "teach" us to use a sheet of newspaper to play "peepo" with babies, to wave , scrunch and kick it to make noises.

They sung nursery rhymes to us (obviously as parents and carers we don't know any :( )

They read the pack to us - thankfully the trainers couldn't get the technology to work or we'd have been shown the dvd from the pack too!

They tell us that 1 in 2 children don't get read to every day, that we "must" teach children 8 nursery rhymes before they start school, that the local library is a fantastic resource, that when we've mastered the 7 aspects of Phase 1 we can get info for Phase 2 from the website...... I could go on and on!

I can not begin to express how insulted we all felt - hope they get the message when they see the feedback forms with plenty of 1=poor ratings!

So much for recognising childminders as professionals. I've seen 4 year olds treated with more respect.

Even after a (hefty!) glass of red wine I'm struggling to see the funny side. xD

Perhaps when I go through my day with the babies and children tomorrow, constantly talking, listening, singing, echoing their early attempts at talking, pointing out cars, trees, planes, birds............. blah, blah I'll think "you know what, I'll just carry on as I always do!"

Despite talking to 3 others before I left and 1 on the phone now I'm home I'm still seething :(

Nona

have just laughed, remembering the highlight of the evening... passing a sound round the group (one person clicks & we all have to click until someone makes a different sound) and one lovely person (who I'll NOT name!) roared back at the trainer. FANTASTIC!! :o

So much for recognising childminders as professionals. I've seen 4 year olds treated with more respect.

Nona

well i have to say that my letters and sounds training for teachers was no different. A whole day course and i still don't know what i learnt about letters and sounds.

I have to give inset to the whole school next week. I'll do what we always have to do and do the blinking job ourselves!

At least I got a nice lunch on my course.

Rufus - think I'll ask the Reception teacher in school tomorrow for a little lesson!

Unless someone in here can tell me where to "hear" the information? It's hard to differentiate the sounds from a page and I really don't want to be told I'm teaching them wrongly!!

(Still chuckling over the ROAR so I'm heading off to bed in a better frame of mind!)

Nona

Guest peekleeds

Sounds like you had a great evening!!! but at least you have been offered training, our area are not offering L+S training to childminders (yet). I have downloaded phase 1 from web but I agree with you its full of things I do every day with the children.

I found the DVD that came with the pack quite useful. It has a clip where they go through saying each individual sound the way they think it should be said - is that what you mean?

Our letters and sounds trainning for schools was also ropey!

Elfy

x

Elfy, we were issued the pack for Phase 1, then told that the practitioner example is on the DVD in Phase 2 pack.

Have been offered training by NNEB of 20+ years experience, who laughed herself silly about the training and said she'd been sent on it last year!

As an added incentive she'll run through it with me, at home, over a glass of wine! All training should be so good.......

Nona

Elfy, we were issued the pack for Phase 1, then told that the practitioner example is on the DVD in Phase 2 pack.

Have been offered training by NNEB of 20+ years experience, who laughed herself silly about the training and said she'd been sent on it last year!

As an added incentive she'll run through it with me, at home, over a glass of wine! All training should be so good.......

Nona

You may find the letters and sounds website useful Nona

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/local/clld/las.html

Click here

when i went on mine the woman who lead enthusiastically went on and on about taking the children for a walk to sp-sp-splash in the pu-pu-pu-pu-puddles the speech therapist who sat next to me wondered if we'd end up giving all the children stammers and it sort of went down hill from there,

Would love some quality training on letters and sounds. We read through it and trained ourselves! The lady saying the sounds does not pronounce them all correctly - we ask staff and parents to pronounce sounds in pure form, not adding "uh" (schewa) sound to the end.

What do others do?

" I can not begin to express how insulted we all felt - hope they get the message when they see the feedback forms with plenty of 1=poor ratings!"

Let's hope they do take on board the feedback and seriously consider changing the training to reflect the level of knowledge of their 'professional colleagues' audience.

'Training' to the correct level was always a bug bear for me when I attended courses / workshops. Maybe on their training booking forms they should ask what level the 'applicant' is ie: none, level 2/3, FD, QTS, etc and the number of years experience. Then they could adjust the content accordingly. Ths is a basic skill of any trainer, to ensure the content is delivered / discussed at the appropriatte level. Thus showing recognition that 'students' time is precious (and expensive).

rant over. :o

Peggy

• 3 weeks later...
I turned out for this course tonight (in the dark, wind and rain, after a 10 hour day! - are you getting the picture?)

Despite waiting 5mins in the lobby with 6 others to be let in, I was quite looking forward to some phonics training.

Lots of lovely resources, books, games & instruments on show. I thought (wrongly!) that we'd get to practice the sounds, learn the order they're taught etc - basically, expand on the information I get from the Jolly Phonics introduction meeting at school.

But - no!

They "teach" us to use a sheet of newspaper to play "peepo" with babies, to wave , scrunch and kick it to make noises.

They sung nursery rhymes to us (obviously as parents and carers we don't know any :( )

They read the pack to us - thankfully the trainers couldn't get the technology to work or we'd have been shown the dvd from the pack too!

They tell us that 1 in 2 children don't get read to every day, that we "must" teach children 8 nursery rhymes before they start school, that the local library is a fantastic resource, that when we've mastered the 7 aspects of Phase 1 we can get info for Phase 2 from the website...... I could go on and on!

I can not begin to express how insulted we all felt - hope they get the message when they see the feedback forms with plenty of 1=poor ratings!

Even after a (hefty!) glass of red wine I'm struggling to see the funny side. :(

Perhaps when I go through my day with the babies and children tomorrow, constantly talking, listening, singing, echoing their early attempts at talking, pointing out cars, trees, planes, birds............. blah, blah I'll think "you know what, I'll just carry on as I always do!"

Despite talking to 3 others before I left and 1 on the phone now I'm home I'm still seething :(

Nona

have just laughed, remembering the highlight of the evening... passing a sound round the group (one person clicks & we all have to click until someone makes a different sound) and one lovely person (who I'll NOT name!) roared back at the trainer. FANTASTIC!! xD

:o

this is my first post, but I fully appreciate how you felt. I attended the DCP, and one night was devoted to 'how to make playdough' and cutting and sticking.....I ask you!

we recently had our 'quality assurance audit' pah ! they made a big issue about no staff having been on the L&S training, yet we'd done lots of planning for this during the last half term prior to their visit using the S&L folder, which i think is actually quite good with some nice ideas on delivering phase one phonics, i offered to show them the planning..... which they didnt want to see ! when i pointed out that no one had been on training as it was all over an hours drive away for a 2 hour course they said they couldnt help that.........maybe i should have told them that the people i'd spoken to who had been on it said it was a total waste of time !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)