Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gifted And Talented

Hi I am new to the forum, joined a couple of weeks ago and I have already found it very useful.

I teach reception and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a challenge box / area for this age group. Within my class I have a small group of very able children this year and in addition to this a particulalry bright child - I'd would value any ideas / suggestions with both the group and the individual child (who seems to be doing better than many of our Year Ones).

hi there chablis, I recently purchased a book called "Gifted and talented in the early years-practical activities for children aged 3-5". the Author is Margaret Sutherland. published by paul chapman publishing in 2005. I have found this book to be very useful. I hope it helps x

Hi Chablis

Firstly welcome, and secondly congratulations on identifying those that are gifted and talented.

I don't post very often, but gifted and talented is very close to my heart.

All too often those that are less able get the additional support they require but those that are more able do not, so well done!

Are you able to get input and support from the year 1 teacher? Have you spoken to the parents of the children you have identified, as they can be very good at helping with ideas, and it would be great to get them involved with what you are trying to do.

With regards to the particularly able child, are they able in all of the 6 areas of learning? If so, (please don't all shoot me at once for what I am about to suggest) have you considered putting the child up a class, or for them to spend time within their week in with the year ones. The success of this would depend on the child, the size of the school, for example I have heard it being very successful in small schools, especially those that have mixed aged classes elsewhere in the school.

I don't know the book that has been recommended, but I am going to have a look at it myself :o

Let us know how you get on.

What area of the country are you?

Ellie

thanks for the reply - I am working closely with the Year 1 teachers - this child is able in all areas but seems socially to be just about where he should be - his friends are the able little group that I mentioned so that probably helps. I have talked to Mum and Dad and they are keen to stretch him but want him to stay in Reception - so no moving class at the moment. He does do his phonic work with Year 1 - its really maths I think I am struggling with - I feel like I am just going round in circles and not quite getting it right!! I too am going to get the book mentioned - it may just be what I need - lets hope.

Its lovely to have really able kids but I am finding just as challenging as the ones who struggle.

Am in bedfordshire by the way.

Thanks all for your welcomes and ideas - I was worried I'd have no replies!!

:o

Hi Chablis and welcome to the forum. I am going to move your post out of the 'Profiles' section of the forum to somewhere it might get viewed more. xD

Thanks

not sure I totally understand where to post topics yet.

hi there chablis, I recently purchased a book called "Gifted and talented in the early years-practical activities for children aged 3-5". the Author is Margaret Sutherland. published by paul chapman publishing in 2005. I have found this book to be very useful. I hope it helps x

Thanks so much! Am going to invest a.s.a.p.

not sure I totally understand where to post topics yet.

Join the club chablis - good job the moderators are here to keep an eye on us all! :o

Welcome to the Forum.

Maz

Guest tinkerbell

I would be giving the child lots of problem solving activities putting into practice all his skills.

Tinkerbellx

Chablis, I know exactly what you are dealing with. Last year I had a very able child who was doing year 4 maths. He was so able that he went to the year 3 teacher for his maths lessons. I chose her because she was more practical than others and sensitive to the needs of young children, although he was able in her class too at least she could stretch him more than me.

For the times that he was with me for maths I concentrated on problem solving investigations, giving him an investigation to do independently that could take him a few days.

His area for development was the creative stuff - he didn't see it as important at all so i took that as my main focus as I felt that i needed to concentrate on his weaker areas. He was so able with everything else that I didn't see the benfits of pushing him on as he didn't really have the maturity for the more advanced work and definately didn't have the attention span.

An idea that i tried was giving him a 10 minute slot in the week to teach the other children about something relating to the topic. He did a lovely presentation on Chinese New Year (he was chinese), dinosaurs and cold places.

Good luck because the more able are certainly more of a challenge than the less able, especially when they correct your mistakes like my child did!

they correct your mistakes like my child did!

got an able one of those at the moment :o unfortunately she thinks she is teaching staff and that general class instructions mean everyone but her!!

Chablis, I know exactly what you are dealing with. Last year I had a very able child who was doing year 4 maths. He was so able that he went to the year 3 teacher for his maths lessons. I chose her because she was more practical than others and sensitive to the needs of young children, although he was able in her class too at least she could stretch him more than me.

For the times that he was with me for maths I concentrated on problem solving investigations, giving him an investigation to do independently that could take him a few days.

His area for development was the creative stuff - he didn't see it as important at all so i took that as my main focus as I felt that i needed to concentrate on his weaker areas. He was so able with everything else that I didn't see the benfits of pushing him on as he didn't really have the maturity for the more advanced work and definately didn't have the attention span.

An idea that i tried was giving him a 10 minute slot in the week to teach the other children about something relating to the topic. He did a lovely presentation on Chinese New Year (he was chinese), dinosaurs and cold places.

Good luck because the more able are certainly more of a challenge than the less able, especially when they correct your mistakes like my child did!

Thanks for this advice - I certainly think that setting some practical problems would be great for this child - I am still unsure where about in terms of Year groups he is - certainly Literacy wise he seems to be far better than the able Year 1's and looking at the Year 1 maths planning I think he may well be exceeding them in this area too. Need to keep assessing to find what level is right for him. He is far cleverer than me and corrects me quite often and also does quite a lot of running the class too, so I feel your pain there everyone!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)