Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Number Rhymes

Hi Sarah

Children love the pirate song - this is the version we sing. It's fun to make up your own verses too! :D

When I was one, I sucked my thumb, the day I went to sea...

CHORUS:

I climbed aboard a pirate ship and the captain said to me,

"We're goin' this way, that way, forward and backward, over the Irish sea.

A bottle of rum, to fill my tum and that's the life for me"

When I was two, I buckled my shoe, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

When I was three, I scraped my knee, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

When I was four, I slammed the door, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

When I was five, I danced a jive, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

When I was six, I picked up sticks, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

When I was seven, I counted to eleven, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

When I was eight, I was really late, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

When I was nine I got in line, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

When I was ten, I did it again, the day I went to sea...

[CHORUS]

Well done Sue - I looked for the pirate song earlier but couldn't find it. :)

Leo - Great Powerpoint slideshow! Thanks for testing out the powerpoint attachment facility - I only made that available a couple of days ago when we realised we couldn't post Excel attachments. :D

Magenta,

I couldn't open the attatchment either, & I thought I had powerpoint BUT I was working on the laptop, & I remembered that when I installed Office I chose to have Powerpoint install on first use, so that's why it won't work (for me!) :o

Try opening your Powerpoint to check it's all there.

Dianne xxx

Hi -

Sorry about this. I think the speckled frogs file might have been a casualty of the database problems which started on Friday - that was the day leo posted the attachment.

I'll check it out and see if I can recover it tomorrow. Otherwise we might have to be very nice to leo and ask her to re-load it...

Well that seemed to work - Leo, it seems that your upload has vanished due to a gremlin which was very busy on Friday evening. Apologies for that! If you have a moment, I think there are several people impatient to see your speckled frogs! :)

Jennyk

What you do is write your letter then you go down to file attachment and click on browse. This will enable you to find your pwerpoint file in your own home computer- hopefully in my documents or on the desktop or where ever you have saved it. When you find it hight light and click on button again. This will attach the file to your letter. Then click on 'add reply' and you should see your letter and the attachment on screen.

Am I right Steve? :o

Hi Jenny -

To add an attachment to a post, all you have to do is write your post, then scroll down past the dialogue box your post is in. You'll see a Heading called File Attachments. If you click the Browse button you'll see the folders on your own computer. Just find the file you want to upload and select it - that's all there is to it! :)

(Nice to see you back - did you enjoy your visit?)

leo - what embarassment? My admiration is boundless, I'm terrible at graphic stuff like this. Only one thing I noticed, although it might not be the same on other people's PC's. I think you need to do a 'vanish' event on the '1 jumped into the pool before the other text comes up - either that or move the other text down a little?

I was thinking it would be nice to have the song sung by some children as well for those who don't know it. If I persuaded Helen to record some audio, would you be happy with me trying to add audio to it? :)

really enjoyed the frogs, look forward to the sound :D

Back to the original query.... what about - 5 little monkeys sitting in a tree, teasing Mr Crocodile, "you cannt catch me". Along came Mr Crocodile as Quiet as can be and SNAP ........4 little monkeys etc. My children love this requesting it daily.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a brilliant resource for Number Songs by a man called Dave Godfrey and in the book it shows links to the Numeracy Strategy. It is a Key Stage One resource but the rhymes can be enjoyed by all children. Dave came and did a session for our Early Years' Conference and everybody thoroughly enjoyed the activities. They are now very much in use across settings in our LEA.

The books include a CD with all the music and children absolutely love them. There are a lot of other materials which you can buy to support numeracy through music.

The books are called 'Number Fun' and they can be bought from Omega Publications. http://www.omegazone.plus.com/dg/

I would certainly recommend these materials and if you can afford to have Dave come to an event or into school to work with children it is well worth it.

Ange :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)