Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Less Messy Glueing And Sticking Activity!

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I came across an activity this afternoon that I'd never seen before but which was so successful that I feel the need to share...apologies to all those who have been doing it for years!

I was helping out at a Stay and Play session, the theme of which was glueing and sticking. One of the staff had taped some large lengths of sticky-backed plastic (sticky side out!) to the wall and left a basket of all kinds of collage goodies on the floor by it. The session was for 0-5s and we had a good range of ages attending from 12 months upwards - every one of the children absolutely loved that activity and stayed at it for a long time.

It was SOO simple and so effective - the 12 month old spent ages just touching the plastic and delighting in the sound it made and the effort needed to pull her finger away again, the older ones loved the satisfaction of being able to put things anywhere and them staying there..and then being able to pull them off and put them somewhere else. And it's a great collage activity for the child who isn't that keen on the "stickiness" usually associated with glueing and sticking. And of course because the sheets were large, it was a lovely group activity as well!

we do this with A4ish sized pieces taped sticky side up on the table then stick them to the windows when they are done (there is usually enough gaps between the bits to hold it to the galss) it makes a really effective window decoration, sometimes if the light is right and we've used cellophane bits it makes patterns on the floor too lots to talk about

I've done this before on an art course but only exposed half of the sticky-back plastic ( I feel a Blue Peter moment coming on :o ) then when finished fold the other half over the top to seal it down. It is very effective and you can hang up the finished masterpiece.

Thank you for this. It has inspired me for an activity tomorrow. We are lucky enough to have some sticky paper which has a peel off coating (not explaining this well am I?) so the paper looks plain but if the backing has been removed it is sticky. I am planning a collage for tomorrow but your idea has also reminded me about this paper and solved a problem about how to encourage some children who don't like to get their hands gluey to join in. I also like this idea too - will have to invest in some of that sticky plastic.

What a great idea - and I have just remebered my son has some for covering his college books. Im off to pinch it for tomorrow we went to our local Country Park today and the children want to make a collage tomorrow and what better way to keep it intact. Thanks.

smiles

Love the sound of this.....got some sticky back plastic in the store cupboard so will be trying this one out tomorrow...

Like the idea using them as window decorations...many thanks :o

I came across an activity this afternoon that I'd never seen before but which was so successful that I feel the need to share...apologies to all those who have been doing it for years!

I was helping out at a Stay and Play session, the theme of which was glueing and sticking. One of the staff had taped some large lengths of sticky-backed plastic (sticky side out!) to the wall and left a basket of all kinds of collage goodies on the floor by it. The session was for 0-5s and we had a good range of ages attending from 12 months upwards - every one of the children absolutely loved that activity and stayed at it for a long time.

It was SOO simple and so effective - the 12 month old spent ages just touching the plastic and delighting in the sound it made and the effort needed to pull her finger away again, the older ones loved the satisfaction of being able to put things anywhere and them staying there..and then being able to pull them off and put them somewhere else. And it's a great collage activity for the child who isn't that keen on the "stickiness" usually associated with glueing and sticking. And of course because the sheets were large, it was a lovely group activity as well!

What a brilliant idea. Thanks

a timely reminder of something we have done but forgotten about..

we also have some netting attached flat against the fence wall outside and the children weave items they find into it or tie them on or hook them through, or work out how to attach items to it.. looks really effective and changes with the seasons..

How to attach a conker was interesting and then finding a snail in the middle of it all,

we did try it inside one year.. and wondered what the smell was after a couple of weeks... we think we prefer it outdoors!

Inge

Used this activity yesterday and made some harvest collages for the windows...cut the sticky-backed plastic into small squares and put into pots some dried spaghetti, split lentils and some split yellow peas. The children sprinkled on the items to make any pattern they wanted to and then we displayed them in the windows. They look very effective and even the children who don't normally enjoy sticky pictures had a go. Nearer Christmas we are going to do the same thing using glitter, tinsel etc etc! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)