Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playdough And Oil

Hello Folks

Just wondered if anyone has got an alternative to using oil for making playdough?

The reason being is that we have a child with a severe nut allergy and I am looking for an alternative to oil.

Joy of Joys at the weekend I discovered that Tesco's Pure Sunflower Oil is produced in a 'nut free' factory (unlike many other items). However, the allergy label on the back read-

Recipe: No nuts

Ingredients: Cannont gaurantee nut free (bearing in mind this is pure sunflower oil with no other ingredients in it)

Factory: Nut free

Feeling very confused I rang customer services this morning explaining the situation and the confusion over the labelling. If their are no nuts in the recipe and no nuts in the factory and it is a pure ingredient product then where are the nuts in the process? And why bother putting on such a disclaimer when the item couldn't be used anyway!!!

Their eventual reply was that the supplier's supplier couldn't gaurantee that nuts were not somewhere in the atmosphere (which I know that direct nut dust is of cource extrmemly dangerous. But my wonderment is that if nuts were in the atmosphere when the sunflower seeds were processed (presumably at very high tempretures to distill the oil- how much of a risk is it?

Of course my answer to that is we couldn't use it but it does make life confusing the consumer!

So have any of you got any bright ideas- it's such a shame to not have playdough (plastecine is ok but not as pliable and we do use gloop and slime) but would love to hear from anyone who has got around this

Oh how frustrating.

The only thing I can think of is looking in the health food shop, or in supermarket 'free from' ranges - athough I have to say I can't recall seeing nut free oils before...

What does mum use at home? Is there an anaphylaxis web site? If so they might be of help?

Sorry not to be more helful - what an odd situation!

Maz

We had a similar problem and used sunflower oil from Sainsburys. If you ring them they will supply you with a booklet of nut free products plus send seasonal updates, eg. Christmas and Easter.

Denisse what a fab idea- I'm going to check that out. let us know how you make it with baby oil (as Maz says do you cook it/)

Will check for more info on the web Maz and ask the child's mum when they come back off holiday.

You know the ironic thing is that I've been teaching for 9 years now and the batch I made this morning (as the little boy is on holiday this week I thought it would be ok to ahve some playdough) is the best I have ever made- usually I never get it right and end up throwing it away :o

I also used powder paint instead of food colouring- the labels on these have nut disclaimers on too.

The luminous pink powder paint was fab and with a bit of silver glitter looked even better.

So Denisse do let us know about the baby oil

many thanks

apple

sorry got distracted looking on web re the oil and found this recipe- looks like we'll have to give this one a try- all depending on the oil of couse :o

Sand Playdough (uncooked)

4 cups clean sand 3 cups flour 1 cup water 1/4 cup oil

Combine all ingredients together in a bowel. Knead it until it forms a ball. Add more water if too dry or more flour if it's too wet. The children in my preschool love this dough, it combines sand table play and play dough, they never want to put it away. Good for children that are very tactile.

I also used powder paint instead of food colouring- the labels on these have nut disclaimers on too.

The luminous pink powder paint was fab and with a bit of silver glitter looked even better.

What is your playdough recipe, apple? I've just started using the one from here that you don't cook, you just use boling water, but I've been using food colouring. It is the best playdough I've ever managed to make, though - but I miss using powder paint and getting really vivid colours. (Although when I did, it looked great but I generally got the consistency all wrong!! I'd love to have a really good powder paint playdough recipe. mmmmm, and the baby oil idea is lovely....

LJW- does the sainsburys sunflower oil have a lable re nut free? e.g factory etc

I know some of the oils that I was looking at in Tesco had no mention of nuts so didnt go for those. Many products say does not contain nuts and then a disclaimer re the factory ' cannot guarantee that this product was made on a production line where nuts might have been used'

That's why I went fr the Tesco brand that said 'nut free factory'

Hi Emmajess

i use 2 cups of plain flour, 4 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar, 1 cup of salt and 2 cups of cold water- mix all together over a low heat. When it starts to come away from the side then it's cooked. I just add a bit more powder paint to the flour- to be honest I am so bad at making the blooming thing that I just dropped a couple of tablespoons of poweder paint into the mix not thinking it would work :o

Hi Emmajess

i use 2 cups of plain flour, 4 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar, 1 cup of salt and 2 cups of cold water- mix all together over a low heat. When it starts to come away from the side then it's cooked. I just add a bit more powder paint to the flour- to be honest I am so bad at making the blooming thing that I just dropped a couple of tablespoons of poweder paint into the mix not thinking it would work :o

I'll give it a try - if the no-cook recipe works with powder paint I'll let you know - I am appalling at making playdough and this stuff is fantastic - on repeated occasions!!

I' sorry can't help you with your nut problem!

....but adding cocoa to the flour when making playdough produces a delicious smelling dough, the children won't eat it though because it still tastes like playdough.

We use the choc playdough with empty choc boxes and the trays inside them.

em x

We use baby oil as well, non cooked, but using just off the boil water. I think thats what she uses, I don't have to make it :o

For a really nice smell add strawberry essence, or mint essense xD ooooh they are lovely!

We used the tesco sunflower oil last year with a nut allergy child.Granted he didn't access it much but mum said thats what she used at home.

We will be adding curry powder to our dough next week for our Eid celebrations. I love to use fluorescent ready mix paint in dough especially for bonfire and Divali.I also like to make two balls of different colours ie yellow and blue and watch them marble together.

We've just taken in a boy with a nut allergy and hadn't even thought about playdoh!

This is my first occurance of a nut allergy - what else should i be on the look out for?

H

We've just taken in a boy with a nut allergy and hadn't even thought about playdoh!

This is my first occurance of a nut allergy - what else should i be on the look out for?

H

Make sure you look out for 3D modelling as many of our parents bring in cereal boxes. Our best source of information was the parent. We did a risk assessment of the setting and we even made sure all our bins were foot pedal ones (child had suffered a reaction at home from a bin!) as we are in a shared hall and even though we didn't have nuts there is no guarantee that others using the hall do the same. Also make sure you get epi-pen training and also keep it available but out of reach during the session and locked away out of session. Cooking activities, children bringing in treats for birthdays all caused us problems but with a cooperative mum who even gave us recipes to use and special treats he could have if the other children were helped us no end.

Hope this helps.

I take a cereal bar in for mid morning (or breakfast :o if I don't get chance ) they are crumbly and i usually nibble one while moving around setting up.I bought nut free ones so I didn't leave any toxic crumbs about.

on another note 'Kiwi is the new peanut' (quote from e-pen trainning) so best avoided

Thanbks for all your replies- will definately try the baby oil. H i would first consult with mum/dad to get a full low down on what the definite no' to are.

The child in question in our setting is allergic to nuts, toms, eggs, and beans. We have spoken to mum, had epipen training and carried out a risk assessment. All junk boxes from last year have been thrown out and no new ones are allowed in until we have checked for traces of the mentioned. We have also notified parents via a newsletter that no treats can be sent in for birthdays- intead a bag of grapes would be lovely (and far healthier!). In the note to parents we also asked them to refrain from giving their child treats on the nursery premises as one slight brush passed a child who is eating a product with these things in could be extremely hazardous. Parents have been very co-operative ( I think by adding a note to the newsletter saying - If this was your child I amsure you would want us to do the same worked)

At the epipen training we were also not only told about kiwi fruit but sesame seeds too.

Basically read every label and if in doubt don't use it. It does seem a shame that we have to restrict certain things but better to go a year in ourt nursery not growing toms on our allotment than putting said child at risk!

We have a child with a nut allergy and one with an egg allergy at present, have epi pens for both and when doing epi pen training were told both times to have 2 epi pens on site, in case one fails.

On a different note, pasta- most pasta packets say- cant guarantee nut free, so we no longer use that. We check everything minutely and always have an adult sit with the siad children at lunch times however the nut allergy child- has had so much stuff containg nuts even down to nutella spread sandwiches and frerra roche in her lunch box!

Edited by lynned55

Yes, the baby oil is fantastic in playdough - although once had a child whose eczema flared up on contact :o

There IS an Anaphylaxis self-help site, with lots of useful info. I found it helpful when I was first prescribed my epipen. However, have lost link in recent Great Computer Crisis! Just Google

Yes, the baby oil is fantastic in playdough - although once had a child whose eczema flared up on contact :o

There IS an Anaphylaxis self-help site, with lots of useful info. I found it helpful when I was first prescribed my epipen. However, have lost link in recent Great Computer Crisis! Just Google

The Great Computer Crisis of 2008 - it'll go down in history Sue. xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)