Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Copyright Law

Have just got around to looking through this summer's Nursery World magazines and found an interesting article from the July 22 issue.

Did you know that ........

Nurseries and playgroups showing children films on DVDs or videos must obtain a licence or permission from the copyright owner or else they will be in breach of the copyright law. This is because videos and DVDs are intended for home use only and it is therefore illegal for a nursery, etc. to show them without an umbrella licence provided by the Motion Picture Licensing Company (MPLC).

A licence costs £2 per child per year. Penalties for not paying this include a £5000 fine or six months in jail!!!!

The article suggests contacting MPLC on 01323 649 647 or www.mplcuk.com

Interesting, eh?!?!? Seems a bit harsh as nurseries and pre-schools would surely not be charging the children to watch the videos or DVDs. Worth looking into though, if any of you do show videos/DVDs from time to time.

:oxD

Funnily enough, I did know that! Our nursery has a policy of not using videos etc, as the owners consider them 'cheating'. If we can't keep the children happy and busy by our own efforts, we shouldn't be in the business!! Something like that, anyway! :o

Special treats of that nature are visits to the theatre, which happen quite often, so the children aren't missing out, and there are no problems with copyright! :) Well, not for us, anyway xD

Sue :D

Schools have an issue too then?

We looked into certification and decided we should only show "U"s as with "PG"s we ran a risk of showing something a paerent might prefer their child not to see!

We use videos alot in wet lunch times, as its about the only way the dinner ladies can manage.

Thought this may be of interest to those of us working in schools....

The Copyright Law says...

By law, as well as by intent, the pre-recorded videocassettes and DVDs ("Videos") which are available in stores throughout the United Kingdom are for home use only -- unless you have a license to show them elsewhere.

Videos may be shown without a licence for "at an educational establishment for the purpose of instruction." (Section 34 (2)

"We only show U films at our school m'lud :o "

Denise

Hi Libby, I remember reading that but we work in a church building with no TV so I wasn't affected, but I have a friend who now manages a nursery and I will pass on the news to her.

Susan, thats an interesting point you make, my son's school often show videa's at the end of term and some titles have been cert 15 (for my 14year old ) and some are obviously pirate copies because they're not released yet. I actually dont mind my children watching films aimed at higher age groups but I know some parents that would be horrified. I had a particular reason for angst a few years ago when my oldest son was in year 6, he came home and told me they had watched a video of a birth. No warning or consultation from the school, so I spoke to the teachers, head and chair of governors. The response from the head was that it's stuff the children should be aware of, couldnt see my point that they had taken the decision of when and how to tell my child out of my hands. (I do beleive letters go out now though) :o

Mousebat: Thanks for that information. That makes more sense doesn't it (educational establishments being exempt bit)? Nursery World obviously didn't research it well enough though!

:o:)

Hi Libby

I took it to mean that 'educational establishments' could show videos if they were related to the curriculum eg. an infant class could watch something like The Number Crew without needing permission. Are videos such as The Jungle Book or any Disney be instructional? Could be? I think it's a bit of a grey area really and open to confusion :o .

I remember using Monty Python's The Life of Brian in a class of Year 7's - yes it was instructional - why? - because our history topic was the Romans and I showed the children the bit about "What did the Romans ever do for us?" scene xD

Denise

Guest Sycamore

Isn't the law silly!I think it would be funny if they did try and fine all the establishments who used video's and DVD's they'd have sooooo many they wouldn't be able to keep up. Not sure what they'd do with all that money either!

I can understand that we shouldn't be playing them all the time but I wouldn't be able to cope during wet play without a Spot, Noddy, Percy the Parkkeeper video!! :o

• 13 years later...

This is a debate that rumbles on. Nursery World reported back in April about the difficulties some providers were having with the licensing agency for music. I haven't heard of copyright licences for audiobooks or CD Roms but perhaps someone might be able to enlighten us?

In the meantime, if you are worried, I would contact your insurer and ask for details of your legal advice line. This is usually part of your insurance and provides free legal advice from solicitors. When you call them, you give them an idea of your issue and they find an expert who will call you back and talk you through it. If you did this and made a record of the conversation and the outcome you would have something to fall back on if you came unstuck another day.

Sorry not to be more helpful

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)